US: Police use invalid anti-sodomy law to arrest gay men for ‘crimes against nature’

1. PLEASE, SIGN TO SUPPORT EQUAL MARRIAGE IN ROMANIA
    Help: prenume=first name; nume=family name; oras=city; tara=country.
    You’ll receive a mail and have to click on 2nd link to confirm.

1. your post is not related to the article

2. CanadianChris 28 Jul 2013, 9:26pm

Which only goes to prove that the criminalization of gay sex is really nothing more than a criminalization of homosexuality. They use these laws to arrest gay men for their homosexuality and nothing else.

Which is why I get upset when people say that it’s just gay sex that was illegal. No, that was just a cover.

1. You’re missing the actual story. Laws which prohibit consensual, private sexual relations (including the solicitation of such relations in a public place) are unconstitutional. The arrests of these men were unlawful and they have a right to sue for money damages. The story here are the cowards who were falsely arrested and refuse to stand up for themselves or for the victims to follow. Utter cowardice.

1. Yes, because absolutely everyone arrested under these laws will automatically have the time, money, emotional energy, and lack of fear of being even more publicly outed necessary to fight such a case.

2. While SFM’s style is a bit over the top, he is essentially correct. The only way sodomy laws will be removed from the books is if state legislatures remove them. The only way they will do that is by voter demand or the cost of false arrest judgements.

Texas, as in Lawrence v. TEXAS, still has its anti-gay sodomy law on the books despite the ruling of the SCOTUS. The ruling doesn’t take the law off the books.

3. We think Russia is bad (and it is) and somehow America is a noble warrior for justice?

1. Yeah, Russia is bad.
      It may be true that America is not be so noble, but at least gay Americans don’t get their heads kicked in before they’re arrested.

1. Americans love to go on about how they live in the “land of the free”. Baton Rouge seems to be seeking an opt-out from that.

2. Actually have you heard about some of the cases about police brutality in the USA? Such as Abner Louima who was anally violated with a broom by NYPD officers. What about the disgusting racism that still exists in the Southern States of the US? As the great American comedian George Carlin said “This country was founded by slave-owners who wanted to be free” and “It’s called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

When it comes to my views on America I tend to go on him and Bill Hicks.

1. Don’t worry I’m critical of the UK too, I realise that we got rich by plundering half the world. It’s a great country now for tolerance and equality but it wasn’t for 99% of its history.

1. Philip Breen 28 Jul 2013, 11:55pm

UK gay tolerance is selective. All of the old gay offences are still listed as offences that can NEVER be filtered in the new regulations of the DBS (previously CRB) on a default setting of their all being relevant to safeguarding, i.e. that gays are likely to be paedophiles. Central, as in the story in Louisiana, is the role of police entrapment to establish these homophobic convictions. The effects of this practice need to be addressed, the old gay offences that did not involve children filtered, so that gay men are able to look forward in life rather than be held back in employment and volunteering by the prejudices &ignorance of those who are in a position to hire, or not, those convicted of victimless crimes.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Jul 2013, 12:10pm

Well, the UK wasn’t alone but I wouldn’t say 99% of our history but a great deal of it was for sure. People seem to dwell on the negative rather than some of the very positive things we’ve contributed to the world. Still, I am thankful we live in the UK, a far better place for LGBT people to live than most, certainly better than America in spite of remaining inequalities to be addressed.

3. No Robert, I’m not dwelling on the negatives at all I’m merely asking for perspective and I didn’t say that the UK was alone. I’ve repeatedly said that I’m grateful to be living in the UK in the 21st century and anyway some people on here seem to think that if you criticise the UK you’re somehow completely against it. No, I just realise that we have committed our own crimes in the past, yes so did other countries but it doesn’t make your own wrong right. People on here are quick to dismiss other countries as “barbaric” and “uncivilised” without looking at our recent history. As long as you don’t forget the less than favourable legacies we have left behind in the world too.

2. What… whut? America may not be perfect with regards to LGBT rights but it’s miles ahead of Russia, especially after all the new Russian anti-gay laws. Or are you just going to judge the whole country based on the actions of one bigoted sheriff’s station in one small town and conveniently forgot that several US states have same-sex marriage and the majority of Americans support same-sex marriage and LGBT rights?

1. In terms of the “progressive West” America is the last to catch up. Sodomy laws were finally removed as recent as 2003? Gay marriage only slowly getting places. It’s all good progress and well and good but America certainly does not lead the way as much as it likes to claim. Hollywood mainstream still depicting gays as bad people or stereotypes for comic purposes. It’s time America got with the 21st century. The Christian right is still so hugely prevalent there. No, America isn’t as bad as Russia but it’s not that far behind.

2. the bible belt and sourthen states bodering mexico are not that far behind russia in terms of homophobia

4. Unless one of these victims sues the police department for the false arrest, I have no sympathy for them. America provides legal remedies for those who are unlawfully arrested (i.e., arrested for activity that is not a crime). If they are going to just let it go, then they put other LGBT people at risk. Stand up for your rights or you deserve what you get.

1. yea, the world is that black and white

5. Baton Rouge? There is a delightful chain restaurant by that name in Canada!

1. just be careful about cruising there… the gumbo is great, but ask it home for some nookie and you might get arrested!

;-)

6. Really, arrests for sodomy in Louisiana?
    Half of New Orleans would be in jail!

7. “The issue here is not the nature of the relationship but the location,” she said. “These are not bars. These are parks. These are family environments.”

Because LGBT couples can’t ever make families? Casey Rayborn is somewhat behind the times, methinks.

8. I wonder why woodcutting isn’t a crime against nature?!..^^

1. Or cheerleading.

1. Or auto-tune!

9. I remember as kid thinking wow how brill it is in the USA to be gay -thank god Im here in the UK where we have so much.

They are so backward in the USA

10. Christopher Coleman 28 Jul 2013, 10:46pm

Undercover police officers. Entrapment is the crime here. Even worse, it is entrapment without the law even being in favour. The policemen should be jailed.

1. Absolutely, feds should storm in, put the whole of Louisiana under Marshall law, arrest the police (all of them are complicit), and bring in outside judges to correct the law. It would take a few months to interview and replace all the police officers, who should have now been convicted and jailed, so I suggest keeping the entire state under Marshall law until then. This should act as a warning to other states who are also doing this.

And then they should do what they always do … to try to remind themselves about it … make a film of it.

1. I think you are confusing martial law with the Marshall Plan. I find the actions of the police just as disgusting as everyone else but to suspend the civil liberties of all residents in Louisiana by introducing martial law is an extremely draconian measure, the implementation of which you would expect from the likes of Putin and Mugabe and not the Americans.

1. GulliverUK 29 Jul 2013, 8:57am

Oh dear Jake. One really must learn to differentiate between when I’m being serious, and when I’m joking. And I wouldn’t know the difference between Marshall law and Martian law :-p

As I understand it the citizens are directly responsible, because they vote for police chiefs with lower IQs than a turnip. And to see just how low those IQs can be, see my later post !

1. Gulliver Gulliver Gulliver. I am speechless…this is the first time you have referred to me by name (even if it is in a tone of mild condescension)…my apologies for taking your post seriously but you do rant on a bit at times and to be honest I wasn’t sure whether you had a sense of humour…keep working on the sarcasm tho’…I am sure you will get the hang of it eventually :p

Someone has given you the thumbs down but as I thoroughly enjoyed your post I giving you a thumbs up.

PS Is your name really Gulliver or are you just exceptionally tall?

2. GulliverUK 29 Jul 2013, 2:01pm

Jake, yes I do rant on a bit at times – probably most of the time, PN stories do tend to focus on negative news stories, and these tend to make me a bit angry. I do have a sense of humor, but it wouldn’t usually be found in my posts on here. My nickname can be easily translated to my actual name if you’ve got a passing grade in English Lit. :) cheers for the thumbs up. x

3. Gulliver…unfortunately you are correct – alot of the news on PN is negative and given we are the same age (I think) it is frustrating that we are still having to put up with the same crap that we had to when we were young lads. Nevertheless, try not to let it get you down. Sometimes it is possible to make the same point with tongue in cheek commentary rather than having a rant…it’s also alot more entertaining to read.

My apologies once again but I flunked English Lit. – I was too busy having sex back in high school :)

Keep up the good work and have a good one regardless of what that one may be.

2. Gulliver, This problem is not unique to Louisiana. Any one familiar with the any gay guide, knows of the “AYOR” At Your Own Risk. This is to warn of potential danger or risk of potential undercover stings. The laws used to prosecute vary from state to state, and many often result in your being added to sex offender lists.

The Attorney explains:
        Young Turks video elaborates!

1. GulliverUK 29 Jul 2013, 9:04am

There are few places in America I would go. That includes New York, who have some of the most corrupt, abusive police I’ve heard of. Such a shame that most of America is blighted by the reputation of corrupt police. They’re hardly alone there, I don’t know if I’ve heard of a police force which deserves praise, and certainly not the Metropolitan police – we know some of them are corrupt, and in a big way. But I suspect it’s a relatively small percentage who are criminals, they just taint the entire police force because you can never be sure if you’ll get a ‘good’ police officer, or a ‘criminal’.

The best way to deal with the police is by not engaging them at all, except to report very serious crime, and you can always ask Stonewall for help in reporting serious crimes.

11. sounds like the damn 60s – i can’t believe this still happens…

and the guy was 65

poor guy it probably brought it all back how those times were

disgusting

12. Batonskaya Rougeski , the new satellite state of Russia

13. This problem is not unique to Louisiana. Any one familiar with the any gay guide, knows of the “AYOR” At Your Own Risk. This is to warn of potential danger or risk of potential undercover stings. The laws used to prosecute vary from state to state, and many often result in your being added to sex offender lists.

The Attorney explains:
    Young Turks video elaborates!

14. Sacre bleu 29 Jul 2013, 7:24am

Land of the brave and the free?

There are of course countries with worse records than the good old US of A, but they don’t make they above claim? Blind nationalism is a dangerous thing because of the things that are claimed to be done in the name of the USA (and of course God).

15. I must add that SOME police forces in the UK are still “enforcing” laws that no longer exist and using that as a pretext to discourage gay men from having outdoor sex. Of course-nthing illegal is concerning- but it provides a powerful tool for cracking down on outdoor cruising. Really its a waste of public money-as no legal case can be brought.

1. GulliverUK 29 Jul 2013, 9:09am

If that’s the case we want to hear examples, and if there is evidence of that it should be collected and sent to the independent police complaints commission. If it happened to me I would lodge a complaint with the IPCC without a second’s thought. I’ve three-times experienced corrupt Metropolitan police officers first-hand, although all those times were 20 years ago. We know things have changed, and in some cases dramatically, but can we be sure that there aren’t some lunatics in our police forces doing something similar to this state in the US?

16. Miss Daisy 29 Jul 2013, 8:44am

Seems to me the Attorney General should be looking at whether the Baton Rouge police force are committing a crime themselves by arresting when they have no legal right to do so, for example conspiracy to kidnap, or kidnapping itself.

1. They’d be doing it for 10 years, and if the Attorney General had been refusing to prosecute then the police knew for sure what they were doing was illegal, these were certainly malicious targeted arrests, because no sex ever took place, and certainly not in public, and waiting until they had got in to that persons private home.

Also, as any police officer anywhere in the world will tell you .. ignorance of the law is no excuse. According to what I’ve read their arrests were violations of the civil rights under the constitution, articles 5 and 14.,

17. GulliverUK 29 Jul 2013, 9:14am

Ok, so here it is. This is the answer everybody has been asking.

Why has Louisiana police force been prosecuting gay men for something which isn’t even a crime…..

Sheriff Claims He Didn’t Know Anti-Sodomy Laws Weren’t Valid Anymore

You could not make that sh1t up, honestly. How thick do they think we actually are? Somebody would have told them in the last decade that this law had been repealed.

At the very least he has to be immediately sacked without pension. But I would prosecute him for criminal negligence, or something, to make an example of him, AND anyone else involved – he wasn’t alone in doing this.

18. Jock S. Trap 29 Jul 2013, 9:47am

Backward to say the least.

Far from making excuses these men should never have been arrested in the first place let alone finding no crime had been committed.

It’s an appalling case of entrapment for the sake of making an arrest and ill treat those arrested even though no crime has been committed.

One truly hope these Bigoted Savages will one day grow up and stop discriminating.

19. The ordinary citizens should also be suing for wasting police time and public money.

Are there no actual crimes these morons could be solving?

20. No mention of it in this article, but I wonder if Police attempts to extort money under threat of arrest and exposure could be behind some of this? The alleged tendency to target closeted men would be in line with it. And discriminatory sex laws are notorious for inciting that sort of thing.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Jul 2013, 12:05pm

That’s a good point. I think they call that a “shakedown” in American parlance, a sort of blackmail. Gay men are still prime targets in a very conservative, republican controlled state such as Louisiana.

With all our faults in the UK, nobody could pay me enough to live in a place like that and what an awful place for LGBT to live.

21. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Jul 2013, 11:59am

What is this fetish among American police forces to entrap gay men? Although I don’t condone solicitation for sex in a public place, haven’t they better things to do such as arrest and prosecute violent crime, white collar crime and general corruption in government and corporations?

Are they actively entrapping and pursuing female prostitutes for street walking in the same manner while denying they are undercover police?

22. One multi-million dollar lawsuit would stop this bull sh*t.

23. They are using this tactic as a way to legally harass gay men. The Federal Government should step in and reorder that State’s justice department.

24. If there’s one thing that makes me really angry, it’s law enforcement abusing their powers. Anyone tried to slap any sodomy charges on me and i’d somomize them with their own head.

Mr. Pink

25. Obviously there must be no crime in Louisiana, since police have nothing better to do than flirt with men in parks.

26. Peter Gregory 30 Jul 2013, 3:38pm

Great stuff- closet fag sherriff has fantasies with handcuffs but abuses guys