Archbishop Desmond Tutu: I would rather go to Hell than worship a homophobic God

1. Godric Godricson 27 Jul 2013, 1:00pm

Bless you Archbishop Tutu !

1. He already is blessed. God created us all straight and gay. In this orientation means nothing to Him. What has true meaning is what we have within the inside our hearts.

1. Godricsong godricson 27 Jul 2013, 11:25pm

To any and all trolls in this matter……….Remember, the UK is largely secular and your Biblical cant has no power here. You and your Church has no influence. Go away and preach to people who care!

2. What a shame He didn’t ensure his edicts in Leviticus were better understood in light of your statement.

2. Desmond Tutu is an inspiration to us all. He is a true statesman and if only more so-called leaders had an ounce of his vision and compassion.

Justin Welby… are you reading this? Desmond Tutu understands what Christianity means. I wonder is you and the rest of your bigoted Anglican Communion do.

1. justusboyz 27 Jul 2013, 1:08pm

Amen

3. And Desmond Tutu once again shows what being a Christian actually means… Love your neighbour.

1. Love your neighbour is the 2nd commandment. According to Jesus, the 1st and greatest is “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.”

Speculating on whether or not God meets our standards is a bizarre thing for a bishop to do.

1. I do not think he speculates on whether or not God is up to our standards: I think, rather, this is his way of expressing his certainty that his God is not homophobic.

2. Yes love your neighbor but not the sin. Even God himself cannot look upon sin. It is that unrepentant sin that will keep them from ever seeing heaven. It saddens me to think of all the deception going on in society today that is sending untold millions to hell. Read Gods word he is very plain on the matter. Not judging anyone.Just standing in agreement with Gods word and he has judged it already.

4. justusboyz 27 Jul 2013, 1:22pm

Must be the only christian on the planet!

1. He could just be a failed christian? If the rest are anything to go by.

2. baptistinboots 29 Jul 2013, 9:57am

Not all Christians can be tarred with the same brush – some of us have studied hard and found that the Bible is silent about same sex loving relationships, although I was never homophobic in the first place, there are many like me and Tutu – we are not alone, you are not alone.

1. I believe all people who believe in the various churches of the flying spaghetti monster (christianity, islam etc) who disagree with the majority of their brothers and sisters who believe we should be cleansed of the earth have a moral duty to change their minds and help them see our point of view.

If you choose to join this cult, and do nothing to change their hateful ways, then you’re even worse than they are because you’re a bystander – and bystanders are worse than the people who commit the atrocities in my opinion. They’re the worst of the bunch, the ones who sit by and watch.

Are you a bystander?

1. There are many of us out here who are not bystanders and working very hard to change the opinions of those around us :)

5. Wow respect! And I rarely say that of any man or woman of the cloth!

6. St Sebastian, the humanitarian 27 Jul 2013, 1:40pm

“I think it’s as utterly unjust as racism ever was.”

This man knows what he is talking about. In my eyes, you are right up there with Nelson Mandela. Congratulations South Africa for producing two wonderful people against such dreadful odds.

1. Absolutely – and I only wish more people would listen to him.

7. The man is brilliant. How do Welby and semtamu feel knowing that they are a pair of nasty bigots.

I wonder if the bbc will mention this?

1. Yes they have it in their Africa news section http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23464694

1. as usual, anything remotely gay friendly buried by homophobic bbc under a ton of irrelevant stuff

8. Jacob Dugan-Brause 27 Jul 2013, 2:06pm

This is why I won’t give up on friends who because of culture and family are religiously closed to us. They can and do become allies.

I once knew a Lutheran pastor who told me after years of reflecting on scripture and teachings of Jesus, that he found he must reject a Bible that would reject gay and lesbian people.

He said he would no longer remain silent about those Christians who taught its narrow edict of damnation. I was so amazed by this man who was a thinker in faith.

He brought me to know, what I have heard again and again from Abp Tutu. All people of faith and none only have to listen and accept this new way to see people who are LGBT.

We are worth ‘going to hell’ for to these allies in faith. SImply amazing.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Jul 2013, 2:10pm

I agree, it is amazing. Archbishop Tutu also has a gay son I believe.

9. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Jul 2013, 2:08pm

Amazing statement. Falls on deaf ears though when it comes to the many right wing religious bigots in both large and small denominations who think their God is homophobic. We’d never hear anything like this from Welby, Nichols, Tartaglia or the Pope because they’d all be afraid to upset the nutters and other loons to whom they kow-tow.

10. If I ever believed in a ‘God’, it would be the god that Archbishop Desmond Tutu believes in. His god seems to be one of love, kindness, appreciation, compassion and a reflection of all the goodness humans possess.

He seems to want to live a Christ-like life and understands the meaning of being called a Christian.

You are a truly inspirational man, Archbishop Tutu!

1. Absolute, beautiful comment Vee, are as the others! Yes Archbishop Tutu, is kindness itself …

2. In his extremely powerful spiritual Love, his God is God. Jesus taught that love comes from above and hate from beneath.

11. Jen Marcus 27 Jul 2013, 2:26pm

Archbishop Tutu is saint! As far as Hell is concerned ,the only Hell that exists is the one we create here on earth when we hate, discriminate and do violence to one another.

12. Jen Marcus 27 Jul 2013, 2:31pm

Archbishop Totu is a saint! The only “Hell” that exists is the one we create here on earth when we fear,hate and discriminate and do violence to each other.

13. justusboyz 27 Jul 2013, 2:39pm

At the end of the day, If you believe in a God (which I dont) we are all sinners one way or another. None of us are perfect,If im guilty for being gay these so called christians are guilty of hatred! So why they delude themselves that they will go to heaven is beyond me!
    Spread the word Des

14. shame that africa prefers retarded american style of christianity instead of enlighten one represented by Tutu

p.s. its a strange world when aljazeera.com reports on this before pink news

15. Robert (Kettering) 27 Jul 2013, 3:13pm

This man is a true saint in my eyes. He has hit the nail right on the head with his remarks so listen to what Archbishop Desmond says very carefully Archbigot of Canterbury, the Pope and all the rest of the rabid religious homophobic bigots!

16. So he is going to hell then…

1. Me too

1. Some like it hot!

2. As Mark Twain said ” I would prefer hell for the company and heaven for the climate”. Easy to see what he means when you review the outpourings of the religious over the past couple of years regarding equality. In fact hell would be having to spend eternity in their company.

1. I have to read some mark twain

17. What an inspirational person. Thank you Archbishop Tutu.

18. floridahank 27 Jul 2013, 5:06pm

Does Tutu know the meaning of phobia?

An irrational, excessive, and persistent fear, dread, hatred of some particular thing or situation (Webster’s Dic.)

The God of the Bible does not fear anything and Tutu must be reading some pagan bible version.

Doesn’t he know that God hates sin of any kind? God sent His Son to die for all mankind and has given salvation to those who live in Jesus and to those who have Jesus living in them.

Apparently Tutu has created his own version of explaining sin, repentance and salvation in faux version of Christianity, which doesn’t jibe with the words of Jesus Christ. Everybody likes to create their own version of the True God.

Jesus loves those who will worship Him and accepts them in a heaven that has no phobia involved. Tutu has much to learn about love, judgment and salvation.
    Too many people worldwide have a fractured worldwide view and they are totally disorganized about the meaning of life, beyond simply being alive.

1. Twit.

2. floridahank, it is you who believes in the faux version of Christianity. You need some serious time out to reflect on the meaning of the word ‘Christian’.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu would be one of a minority of Christians who would KNOW and welcome Jesus if He came back, (as Christians apparently believe He will).

You and the majority of so-called Christians on the other hand would curse, reject, scream false teacher, deny and possibly even kill the very prophet God you believe in. Your negative judgement of Archbishop Tutu is a direct reflection of the kind of judgement you will hold of your Christ when Jesus comes a visiting (if he does).

1. Unfortunately far more Christians agree with Floridahanks version of Christianity than Desmond Tutu’s. Thats why Tutu’s comments have caused such a stir (or would do if the media didn’t sideline them)

2. floridahank 27 Jul 2013, 7:41pm

In John 14, 6 Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me.” Since I have accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I will indeed come unto the Father after I die. There are many deceivers and false teachers who only preach love, but never talk about judgment — our deeds will give us rewards or punishments depending on our acceptance or rejection of Jesus Christ. Does Tutu ever discuss sin and punishment because we all are sinners in our human nature. I would like to know what version of Christianity Tutu believes and how he arrived at it.

1. Mary Magdalene 27 Jul 2013, 8:38pm

Absolutely mad.

I knew a john once. Sigh…

2. As God has created me gay, being gay cannot be a sin.

3. tell me 5 star reverend, what is the most important commandment that was given by jesus

psss… try Mark 12:28-31

3. Florida hank go shoot an innocent kid or something. That what you floridians do isn’t it?

1. apparently its a national sport in southern states, especially in those bordering mexico

4. Christopher Coleman 27 Jul 2013, 6:49pm

Dear floridahank, I am sure that you are sincere in your beliefs. However, sincerity does not excuse stupidity. Your version of Christianity is a collection of ideas handed down over the centuries and based entirely on the criminal codes of past societies. Crimes are generally easy enough to spot, because there has to be a victim of some kind (though I do not forget that many so-called crimes are victimless, but are considered crimes to suit the ruling class of the day, and the religious leaders have always been in step with the rulers).

Sin is between a human being and God. I do not think that you can be sure of exactly what might constitute an offence against a God said to have created the entire universe from nothing. How and what such a being thinks is beyond me and should, I suggest with humility, be beyond you. To say otherwise is to risk blasphemy. Jesus said we are all sinners and told us to bother with our own sins. “Do thou likewise.”

1. floridahank 27 Jul 2013, 7:56pm

Hey Chris, read my post above on John14. Since I have done as Jesus says I must, I am in his Royal family and am living with the Holy Spirit in me and showing me God’s Will in my life. I argue that “you don’t think I can be sure of what ….constitutes an offence against God”
        Why should I not know what sin is? The entire Bible outlines what is sin and what is righteousness — it’s either light or darkness, and I know that God will guide me away from sinful behavior and grant me the favor of living for Christ. I have been forgiven and though I sin, He forgives me as He says He will. There is no doubt in me as I follow Jesus Christ and my human nature has been overcome with a spiritual nature. God is good and I wish you well in your journey in this life.

1. Nutter

2. florida hunk, is eating shellfish or wearing polyester clothing a sin?

5. ALL gods have been created in the image of men, and YHWH merely reflects the views of the Jewish people who dreamed him up many years ago: bigoted, cruel, misogynistic and homophobic. Why would anyone want to “worship” a creature like that today?

6. Jock S. Trap 28 Jul 2013, 10:10am

What complete & utter crap!

I’d rather than live life than spend so much time questioning it.

7. When the Old Testament speaks of homosexuality in Leviticus it isn’t actually talking about the homosexuality that we know today. It wasn’t two consenting people or two people in love. It was talking about people being taking advantage of. When it was written, the Bible was trying to protect people.
      Also, the Old Testament doesn’t even mention lesbians so read into that what you wish…

When Paul takes about it in the New Testament, again, he isn’t referring to homosexuality as we know it. It’s described as “unnatural” because to Paul it was – homosexuality was straight men who, after marrying women, went off and had sex with whoever they wanted, including other men. He wasn’t condemning sex between two men but the fact that these men were going against their wives. Again, it was all about protection.

I could go on, but I don’t wish to bore the lovely people reading this page. Please, study the Bible and don’t be afraid to to ask questions and ponder on what you know to be true.

19. David Skinner 27 Jul 2013, 7:07pm

No one is stopping him going to hell and taking millions with him. Have a nice trip

1. I don’t know where you’re going but I hope I don’t go there too, you nasty bigot.

2. Can someone stick a dick in skinner

1. wel not sure there is enough space with 2 dildos already in there

3. Jock S. Trap 28 Jul 2013, 10:12am

Many could say that with so many religious bigots, murderers, etc that he/we already live in it. It’s how you deal with it.

4. See you there ! If heaven was real I think it’ll be occupied by about 8 people and they would be the 8 most boring, clinical people the world has ever known. Or a bunch of disabled people who didn’t have the mental capacity to commit any wrongdoing. Everyone else is in hell, so that’s where I want to be.

It’s all about the crowd, not the bar…

20. Christopher Coleman 27 Jul 2013, 7:52pm

1. floridahank 27 Jul 2013, 8:12pm

Hey Chris….I don’t know what’s so difficult in knowing all about God that He permits it to be known. Whatever He does not allow man to know, we will know when we get to heaven and He reveals it all. But on this earth the Holy Bible gives us much to know about God through Jesus Christ when He was on this earth. His teachings reveal what man must know to be acceptable to Him after death. The Apostles elaborated on much of what Jesus said in his 3 yrs. as a teacher and as God. I have a good knowledge of God, and that’s available to anyone who want’s to become a believer and let God reveal Himself to any and all. But most of mankind doesn’t want that knowledge, he would rather be his own god and do what he pleases. Matt 7, 13 “Enter ye in at the strait gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat.”

1. Godric Godricson 27 Jul 2013, 9:02pm

floridahank you are a troll. Remember, the UK is largely secular and your Biblical cant has no power here. You and your Church has no power over us any more. Go away and preach to people who care!

2. Christopher Coleman 27 Jul 2013, 10:13pm

The Bible was written by human beings at certain points of time in a particular culture’s development. In this case it was Jews and the Bible includes a great deal of their history and, like all history, it is biased in favour of their culture. Similar books have been produced by other cultures and, in some cases, oral traditions. All of them firmly believe that these texts and traditions are God’s communications. So, take your pick.

Cultures do not need God to tell them to treat other people well. Our own self interest should guide us into that mode. “Do unto others” is a sensible approach. If you want to follow Jesus, do recall that He did not condemn any but the hypocrites. He counselled people to pray in secret, to give alms without drawing attention to it, and to walk away from those who chose not to believe. He cured the sick, dined with “sinners”, and treated other people with consideration and generosity. He is not described as judgmental. “Do thou likewise.”

3. The trouble is that some people have created God in their own image, so that He hates exactly the same people that they do.

Although the Bible has some cracking notions like not stealing or murdering, it also has large chunks which are manifestly nonsense, including the story of Adam and Eve which has been used as an excuse to subjugate women for centuries.

4. The difficulty is that you are spouting a lot of assertion without evidence plus your own fantasies and wishful thinking and pretending that it’s all transparently objective truth that other people perversely reject. The usual religious bilge.

21. David Skinner 27 Jul 2013, 9:11pm

Floridahank, you are wasting your time, or rather casting pearls before swine. The only time when some glimmer of understanding comes to those afflicted with the gay syndrome is when they are admitted to the genito- urinary department of St. Barts hospital, which in effect is the departure lounge to the same destination of the Marxist, Desmond Tutu. You pays yer money and you makes yer choice.

1. Christopher Coleman 27 Jul 2013, 10:15pm

It would appear that swine, too, have little difficulty casting artificial gems.

2. It doesn’t suggest much satisfaction with your choices if you feel it necessary to troll here, does it?

3. “gay syndrome”? that’s a new one I have to say, you made me spit out my tea with laughter, bastard.

1. Here’s the deal: gay people have been around long before your religion, and we will be around long after it’s gone. As long as there are straight people spitting out babies, there are going to be gay people walking around being all gay.

So you can either carry on with your delusional religious fantasy with mutual respect for others and be on the right side of history, or continue your ramblings about the “gay syndrome” until you find yourself completley alone with your lunacy because your friends and family can’t stand anymore of your hocus-pocus hatred.

“We’re here, we’re queer, get used to it.” – An old saying, but just as relevent as ever. Stop wasting your time and get on with enjoying your life, and let us do the same please.

Mr. Pink

22. Don’t mess with my Tutu!

23. David Skinner 27 Jul 2013, 9:32pm

“Can someone stick a dick in Skinner?”

Surely Pink News can be had up for inciting hatred and violence?

Marvellous, I shall use this in evidence.

1. dont be childish

2. Not violence, my poor pet, just concern for your well-being. I think it’s fair to say you’re clearly not a happy chappie, isn’t it? How many happy “Christians” would feel it necessary to troll this website?

3. Look mate it’s so transparent that you are titilated by gay men. Why else do you post here? Yu may try to convince yourself that you on some moral crusade but I know you just need to sit n a big fat throbbing cock

24. Bless you arch x

25. Has he started his own religion then? I seem to be the onty one who sees him as an old fool blethering nonsense. If you’re going to call yourself a Christian then you have to folllow the teachings of that faith, but, laudable as are his views, he seems to be making it up as he goes along!

1. Here’s what his Bible says:

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. (Leviticus 20:13)

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:18-19)

You can’t have it all ways!

1. your bible also endorses slavery, new testament (Ephesians 6:5 NLT) and says that baby girls are twice as dirty as baby boys, leviticus12:1-8, not to mention sins like eating shellfish and wearing mixed fibre clothing

1. I’m not a Christian!

2. They all do, Barrie. They always have. The only religion is made-up religion.

26. David Skinner 27 Jul 2013, 11:52pm

Exactly so Barriejohn. But we do not follow teachings; we follow a person, the God become man, Jesus Christ.

1. barriejohn 28 Jul 2013, 1:01am

If there was a real Jesus, then he would have been an ignorant Jewish zealot, not the “Son of God” – though that idea crops up in many ancient religions. The most admired of his so-called sayings were not original, and have been borrowed from various sources, as demonstrated by the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls (qv). The bits about hellfire and outer darkness sound authentic enough for a raving madman, though!

2. Oh, you don’t follow teachings? So your constant visits to this site to attack others for not doing so are even more spurious and hypocritical than we thought?

27. Now, this is a real Christian. Enlightened people like Desmond Tutu make Jesus happy.

28. What a wonderful man. Isn’t this attitude what Christianity was meant to be about? You know, that love and compassion thing which is so rare in the more publicly visible Christian society right now?

Thankfully, there are people like Archbishop Tutu and some other lovely open-minded and caring Christians I have come across.

29. It is a great great pity that Archbishop Desmond Tutu is not Archbishop of Canterbury

30. I don’t share Tutu’s beliefs but I have always admired his courage and openness. I heard him speak at an anti-Apartheid rally in Durham in the 1980s and he was an inspiration.

31. I am not a religious man, but God bless this mans heart and soul.

32. The difference between Desmond Tutu and the rest of the clergy is that Tutu is a truly Christ like man, whereas all the others are merely Philistines.

33. A man who truly understands what it means to face down hatred and follow Christ. Have no fear Desmond Tutu, God will welcome you.

34. Doesn’t this guy just make you feel humble?
    I can’t say any more…..