Successor to disgraced Cardinal Keith O’Brien promises renewal following priest scandal

1. Robert in S. Kensington 26 Jul 2013, 3:47pm

Adviser to Benedict and Francis? Say no more! No thanks to more of the same.

1. More of the same maybe from a guy whose boss was a member of the hitler youth corp and UNEXCOMMUNICATED BISHOP WILLIAMSON, A HOLOCAUST DENIER

Little if anything will change in this church, wedded to the dark ages and its former dictator ship of most of Europe

Links

1. Deus caritas est 28 Jul 2013, 9:48am

All German youths were expected to be part of said group; furthermore at the time His Holiness Benedict XVI is largely known for opposing the regime! You should get your facts.

His Lordship Bishop Williamson was never excommunicated in the first instance. The SSPX were never excommunicated, there is a good reason they were asked to have dialogue and come back in to the protection of Rome. You’d know that if you had facts. It was about accepting the papacy and councils. Something SSPX feel unable to do. This was more about liturgy than anything else.

2. hendrk86@hotmail.co.uk 26 Jul 2013, 3:53pm

They’re like watching Doctor Who after a regeneration. Looks different but you know it’s going to be the exact same as before

1. Marcwebbo3 26 Jul 2013, 3:59pm

Couldnt put it better myself…..Its going to be the same old waffle and the same old hatred…..

2. not terribly familliar with Dr Who, bu i would have used the term

WITCH DOCTOR

3. bobbleobble 26 Jul 2013, 3:55pm

Call me a cynic but I rarely believe a word out of the mouths of the Catholic hierarchy. Lets face it, it wouldn’t take much to be more conciliatory than O’Bigot anyway. And saying gay people are all disordered and gays marrying is sinful and must not be allowed to happen is just as damaging whether you do it with bile laden anger or with a smile on your face.

4. So to reconnect with the Scottish public they brought in… a Vatican-based bureaucrat.

Yep, that makes total sense.

Good luck with the mission of self-destruction!

1. Seriously f@@@@@ off 26 Jul 2013, 6:40pm

Unfortunately, we’re stiffened by the cult thinking catholics on one side and the thick stupid protestants on the other .. Well you can imagine? Anyways my advice don’t move to the North or South here in lanarshire. Thick as mincemeat. Time for us to relocate back to ENGLAND. When you live amongst these twats day after day. You just wanna SCREAM in fact that’s what im gonna do..

5. Cardinal Hmmm 26 Jul 2013, 4:14pm

Well, the Scots can wait and see, or get equal marriage finalised before September.

1. The Equal Opportunities Committee of the Scottish Parliament will only begin to hear evidence on the equal marriage Bill in September – including evidence from those opposed to it, as if they’ve not had ample opportunity to spout their bile.

So it will take a wee bit longer to get the Bill passed!

6. Ethel Clutterbuck 26 Jul 2013, 4:39pm

Yawn

7. How anyone you professes to be celibate lecture others on the definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman? A touch of hypocrisy about it? He’ll probably prove to be absolutely the right guy to replace the ultra-hypocritical Cardinal O’Bigot.

1. Love the term ‘O’Bigot’ – summs him up perfectly!

8. Will still be the same old record he plays though.

9. Weasel words from the ‘new man’ from Rome. All new appointees to any post are always full of sweetness and light. He needs to win back catholics in Scotland whom, disgusted by the O’Bigot scandal, have stopped putting money in the collection plate.

Has the Catholic churches policy and attitude towards gay people changed? Of course not. Are they now fully supportive of gay marriage? It’ll be a cold day in hell before that happens.

The catholic church is a seasoned media operator and PR machine – it knows how to manipulate the press and we should not be fooled by this drivel.

10. Given the recent “gay” scandal involving Monsignor Ricca who was appointed to reform the Vatican Bank, I wonder if Francis has done his homework this time.

Actually I hope he hasn’t. The more scandals the better (so long as they don’t involve children).

11. ChrisMorley 26 Jul 2013, 6:11pm

Leo Cushley says absolutely nothing about LGBT people or Equal Marriage.

Despite Pink News’s claim, the man definitely doesn’t promise “to drop the incendiary language used by his predecessor in political rows over issues such as equal marriage in favour of a more conciliatory tone.”

Pink News is crossing its fingers and inventing what it thinks he should do when he said:

“It is my sincere hope to do this always in truth and in charity, with a view to reconciliation and healing among the Catholics of Edinburgh.”

We’ll have to wait and see. He’s a Vatican diplomat so he’ll probably not be as incendiary in his language as O’Brien.

12. Unfortunately, the Archbishop of Glasgow, Philip Tartaglia is leader of the catholic church in Scotland, so it doesn’t really matter what this new guys says or doesn’t say.

Tartaglia is another nasty homophobe, so nothing will change.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 26 Jul 2013, 6:46pm

And Tartaglia is probably yet another nasty self-loathing closet case too I would think.

1. Wouldn’t surprise me, Robert!

13. Robert in S. Kensington 26 Jul 2013, 6:50pm

“My first task is to preach the good news, Christ crucified and risen from the dead”. A two thousand year old+ event and that passes for good news on the 26th of July 2013? Mind-boggling but says it all. Delusional!

14. Deus Caritas Est 26 Jul 2013, 7:08pm

You’re all displaying vile sectarianism and judging him in the very same way you allege the Church does.

I’m Catholic and gay and immensely proud of my faith. Archbishop-Elect Monsignor Leo Cushley is a very clever diplomat with a keen sense of purpose, honour, humility, fraternity and love. Something you could all learn from!

The Church Triumphant!

1. I also used to be catholic and gay, but realised in my early twenties that the two weren’t compatible and I had to choose between them. It wasn’t a difficult choice!

You may be proud of your faith, but your faith is not proud of you!

2. casparthegood 26 Jul 2013, 9:13pm

Never thought I would see a turkey voting for Christmas either but there is a first time for everything I suppose. Supporting an organisation that holds you in such contempt is on a par with that. Oh and its pretty hard to accuse an atheist of being sectarian, in my case I have seen what true sectarianism does and never want any part of it at any price

1. Deus caritas est 27 Jul 2013, 11:11am

The Church does not hate! A horrible myth made up by the liberal media. My suggestion would be for you all to read the Catechism and encyclicals; particularly Deus caritas est!

I do not deny that there have been bad individuals in the Church with their own agenda. They’ve damaged my beautiful, holy, True and One Church but they are sinners like you all and like me.

3. Keith in SALFORD 26 Jul 2013, 9:32pm

” Something you could all learn from!…”
      Get you…!
      How very pontificatory.
      Some people have been so damaged by the bloody Catholic Church, as young people, that the LAST thing they need from it, is to “learn” any such damned thing, dearest DCE.
      I include myself in that number.
      I wouldn’t pi$$ on a burning Catholic church if I saw one; more like go and get a jerry can of diesel and help the flames along.
      Keith.
      SALFORD

1. Not judging – just the TRUTH about the catholic church, which I imagine for a catholic must be very uncomfortable:

Tens of thousands (if not more) child abuse cases in every country and continent across the globe where the catholic church operates. The scale of the abuse is absolutely shocking and disgusting. My view of the RCC is that it is clearly an international paedophile ring. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_sex_abuse_cases_by_country

Then there’s the Magdalene Laundries – enforced slave labour of women whom in many cases had committed no crime but simply had a child out of wedlock or were considered ‘fallen women’. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/26/us-ireland-laundries-compensation-idUSBRE95P18420130626

Then there was the unbelievable scandal of 300,000 Spanish babies that were stolen and sold for adoption by the catholic church: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15335899

Still think your disgusting, evil church is a force for good???

1. Deus caritas est 27 Jul 2013, 11:15am

It is the Only force of good!

Hyperbolic rhetoric doesn’t make it real.

I’ll reiterate men and women have erred! The Church has never and remains spotless.

In Christo et Ecclesiae

1. Keith in SALFORD 27 Jul 2013, 1:23pm

“In Christo et Ecclesia…”

(Ablative case dearest, not the genitive case.)

Keith
            SALFORD

4. I am sorry, but the Catholic church’s history has proven it to be disasterous to communities and I simply cannot agree with sustaining an institution based on lies, fear and oppression that has proven to be so damaging on such a grand scale, and for such a long time.

Catholicism is nothing more than a chastity belt and a big ole’ ball and chain on your brain. Can you not beilieve in a higher power without perpetuating an ideological poison? It’s the richest institution on the world but does nothing of any use to anyone but themselves. You seem like a nice person, and it’s nothing personal to you, when it comes to religion I adopt the “love the sinner, hate the sin” approach Christians love so much. The sin being all religion, of course.

Religion has proved to cause much move hate than love, it’s time to let it go and move on.

Love Conquers Hate
      Mr. Pink

5. We don’t want any more nasty vile anti-gay hate from pedophile enablers.

We know from the data that most Catholic followers from here and the US aren’t like that, but support full equality – it’s only the moron leaders, and a small minority of Catholic followers, who are horrible people.

You carry on – I don’t believe myself, I think it’s all complete nonsense, and I’m allowed to believe that. But if your faith helps you then I’m happy for that. Like I endorse Changing Attitude, I’m happy to support Catholic groups working for equality and equal marriage.

But as regards Leo Cushley, we will wait and see. Actions will determine if he is any good or not. We don’t want clever diplomats, we want realistic pragmatic honest respectful people, who put Jesus’s two most important commandments at the heart of their message.

15. He’s Catholic – why should I care what he thinks or intend to do. I’ve no interest at all in la-la land made-up bullsh1t. I get enough fantasy when I look at my electricity meter reading …. I’ve use HOW MUCH !! God, I’ve got to cut down on that vibrator ! :D

16. The Rome-o-phobes are out again .

The Church is the best friend of homosexuals, both because she tells them they are made in God’s image and have intrinsic dignity and rights and are called to be saints, and because she is the only social force left that insists on moral absolutes—so when they sin against themselves she says NO, just as she does to heterosexuals who sin against themselves sexually, but when others sin against them she says NO also.
No one else dares to say NO. She speaks up for everyone, including homosexuals.
- See more at: http://brandonvogt.com/dr-peter-kreeft-church-is-best-friend/#sthash.n7Pu4kPE.dpuf

1. Keith in SALFORD 27 Jul 2013, 7:31am

Ray
      =
      Deus Caritas Est.

1. Deus caritas est 27 Jul 2013, 11:19am

If you have not got an educated response; don’t bother

1. Keith in SALFORD 27 Jul 2013, 1:27pm

See my earlier response about your incorrect use of “…ecclesiae…” – after ‘in’.

I could bore your brain out of its nest by re-iterating why I left the RCC over 50 years ago but I have regurgitated it on here so many times that I have now begun to bore myself.
          Keith.
          SALFORD

2. Deus caritas est 27 Jul 2013, 11:16am

It is the Only force of good!

Hyperbolic rhetoric doesn’t make it real.

In Christo et Ecclesiae

3. Deus caritas est 27 Jul 2013, 11:18am

Here! Here!

I urge all to read the above and take heart

17. To Ray & Deus Caritas Est, here’s your loving church for you! A story in today’s Herald about covering up child abuse and being more interested in looking after the abuser than the victim.

This is in my own diocese, from when I was a catholic. I remember Bishop Taylor well, but I had no idea he’d covered up child abuse. I shouldn’t be surprised he’s no different. He even justifies not telling the authorities straight away using a legal technicality and the priest in question denies it to this day!

Absolutely sickening!

1. Keith in SALFORD 27 Jul 2013, 1:35pm

Ray and Deus Caritas est are one and the same.
      The Catholic Church and the BBC are one and the same too, in that the institution must be protected above all else.
      Hence the inaction over Saville and the inaction, buck-passing and cover-ups going back, well, how far back d’ya wanna go..?
      But you won’t convince Ray/Deus Caritas est because, dangerously, he/they are infected with the same blindness and mesmerised by the glitz of it all.
      Keith
      SALFORD

1. Funnily enough, Keith, I’ve just posted another link about this story on the BBC website. They’re doing an expose about it in a programme on Monday. Pot and Kettle spring to mind, eh? Maybe the BBC think by bringing up child abuse scandal in the catholic church, it’ll take the focus off their own child abuse scandals.

1. The catholic church & BBC are organisations in which officials have covered up child abuse, so it is therefore legitimate to ask questions and the organisation as a whole to account.

Gay cannot be held accountable for the actions of individuals who they have no connection to just because they are gay themselves. You may as well suggest all British people are murderers because some British people have committed murder.

2. I think the Herald got this story from the BBC, which has even more information about it.

18. What’s the message here? That they are going to be less honest about their homophobia? They still hate us, but won’t keep saying it – primarily just in case it bounces back at them when another of their ranks is ejected from the closet.
    Oh well, whatever. I really don’t care. They have demonstrated themselves to be hypocrites who condemn consensual adult sex outside their own narrow prescription but will happily work their fingers to the bone covering up sexual harassment and child rape. I think now it’s the day-to-day Catholics who disgust me more than these people. People who continue to support the Catholic church are on notice of what this organisation means – if they continue to fund it, they are part of the problem.

1. I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement, David. We’re always being told that the majority of lay catholics don’t agree with the church on homosexuality, but while they say nothing and happily go to mass, the church will never change.

If they all stopped going, even as a one off protest, then the church would maybe take notice when the majority of their flock don’t turn up to hand over their cash – that’s IF a majority of catholics really are in favour of gay equality. If they even raised the issue and spoke out to their priests and Bishops, then maybe the church would change. But they do absolutely nothing.

You don’t stand back and watch a child being bullied then justify your inaction by saying you don’t think bullying is acceptable, do you?

1. Deus caritas est 27 Jul 2013, 4:47pm

The truth does not change. We need the Church not the other way around.

1. The catholic church would soon be in trouble if every catholic stopped giving them money.

2. Keith in SALFORD 27 Jul 2013, 5:10pm

Arrant nonsense, DCE.

There was a stage, in reading your posts over the weeks, that I had begun to think you were a Catholic priest trolling about on here.

But that idea has been scotched now since no Catholic priest could come out with .. .. .. “.We need the Church not the other way around….”

Christ and His church are one corpus.

I no longer walk the walk but I can, when the occasion arises, still talk the talk, even after 50 years of apostasy.

Keith.
          SALFORD

1. Deus caritas est 28 Jul 2013, 1:49pm

I’m afraid to tell you that’s doctrine. It was given by +Christ so that we could know him. It guides us, shows us the Truth and Light. We don’t do that in return.

You may think of me as you want.

19. Michael 2912 29 Jul 2013, 11:14am

The only response that this news merits is this one:

…..