Andrew Garfield: Gay Spider-Man is ‘just not going to work’

1. “It would be illogical for me in the third movie to be kind of like, ‘You know what, I’m kind of attracted to guys”.

He is right of course. As we all know, no ‘seemingly’ heterosexual man ever turned out to be gay.

2. GulliverUK 26 Jul 2013, 6:06pm

Could his best friend be gay? Perhaps his best friend could do somethibg heroic and help save the day?

1. Oh hell no, I’m sick of playing robin. I want to be Batman for a change.

2. Hell no, I’m sick of playing Robin. I want to be Batman for a change :)
      We ain’t the silly sidekick anymore…

3. No way. Robin was the sexy one !

3. Seems Garfield has just discovered quite how homophobic the media/showbiz world really is !!

4. What a cockface

5. A lot of knucklehead comic fans hated the idea saying ‘Spider-Man has never been gay, get your own gay character, how dare you try and soil the good name and legacy of this fictional character blah blah wah wah” and he wanted to save face and decided to reassure his bigoted fans at comicon that he’s on /their/ side without cutting ties with the LGBT fan base.

6. Colin Andrew 1966 26 Jul 2013, 8:13pm

I first starting reading Spider Man in the mid ’70s and it would be a bit silly to try and make him gay as it would look like tokenism- far better to create a new character who’s gay from the start. Comic fans don’t like their favourite characters messed around with- it doesn’t mean they are homophobic.

1. At first, I thought randomly changing his sexual orientation is quite unecessary and would prove to seem provocative and you’d never hear the end of the “politcal correctness gone mad” bollocks,

but then I realised that Spider-Man has been “re-imagined”, “re-invented”, and “re-booted” about, I don’t know, 10 billion times since I was a child, and I was born in 91 for gods sake. I thought big freakin’ deal if they turned him gay one time, to be honest I’m tired of that ginger cocktease mary-jane.

2. If you were born around 1966 you should know that not all people were able to come out when they should have ! We are from the same era – I came out to my mum very late (from my perspective), when I was about 19, from the luxury of being 400 miles away from my parents, independent, and with the assistance of a large bottle of Vodka. I regret I couldn’t come out when I was 12-15, and get the support I needed, but it felt like too much of a risk then, although in hindsight it was ridiculous not to come out when I wanted to, much earlier.

But some people don’t manage it until they are 30 to 40.

But as I said, why can’t he have a best friend who is gay – that would be just fine.

1. Colin Andrew 1966 26 Jul 2013, 11:16pm

I didn’t come out to my mother till I was 33 and after my father was dead. Luckily she was fine about it- she is now also dead but I’m glad I was able to tell her.

1. PeterParker 27 Jul 2013, 12:30am

I didn’t know my parents, and couldn’t come out while I was living with my aunt and uncle, but then my uncle died.. sort of by my fault.. and I felt guilty.. and that pushed me deeper into the closet.

But now, I’m ready to come out, even if I’ve been a teenager for 51 years. I think it’s time. Maybe I really need to grow up?

1. Spanner1960 1 Aug 2013, 4:10pm

Just don’t tell JJ.

7. Christopher Coleman 26 Jul 2013, 9:07pm

Spiderman could be so certain of his heterosexuality that he experiments with gay sex just to see what it’s all about.

1. Colin Andrew 1966 26 Jul 2013, 11:25pm

If he experimented with gay sex he wouldn’t be heterosexual he’d be bisexual- men who have sex with other men are NOT straight however much they tell themselves that they are !

1. Spanner1960 1 Aug 2013, 4:09pm

That is bull. Sexuality is primarily a psychological state. Some men who have sex with men might have flings when they cannot find a woman, such as in prison or on ships. That is simply overcoming primal urges, but it does not change their psychological makeup. Just because they have sex with other men does not make them gay, or even bisexual. It just makes them hard up.

As soon as they get the opportunity to go back to women, they revert to type and wouldn’t even consider going near another man.

1. Sorry but I don’t buy that. Are you saying that if I were locked up with a bunch of women for long enough, eventually I’d start to be attracted to women? I’d get horny, but I seriously doubt it would change my sexual orientation, even for a little while.

Mr. Pink

8. Lol, I live in a world where people give a f*ck what he thinks?

9. Clearly the Hollywood studios put the fear of God into him to make him backtrack like this!

10. Garfield is one of the good guys.

11. if he was bi sexual it wouldn,t even need claryfiying or explaing.

12. That’s fine. Peter Parker’s not gay, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

13. “It would be illogical for me in the third movie to be kind of like, ‘You know what, I’m kind of attracted to guys’ That’s just not going to work. It’s clear.” | Huh? Why not? I can introduce you to a few gay fathers-of-three. 30+ years married and something fell into place. Of course Spidey could balance a fine line. Wouldn’t be the first time.

14. A lot of fans might be more concerned with something being canon (in line with comics). Peter Parker is an iconic character and changing him too much would be a bad business move. Now, say they carried on with the franchise. There is now a new Spiderman, who’s character is still being developped. His sexuality could be alluded to and worked on.
    It boils down to the idea of familiarity. Peter Parker has always been associated with Mary Jane Watson or Gwen Stacy; changing that could have dire consequences. Look at what happened to the Green Lantern film: it did poorly because Hal Jordan, though canon, was not a familiar GL, as opposed to John Stewart.