Study: Majority of British public would be comfortable if future King turns out to be gay

1. … but then, they surely couldn’t be head of the church of England as well? Time to disetablish…. just in case!

2. A gay king would be /so cool.
    I fear even in our so called “more equal” society, a royal will still not feel comfortable being openly gay.

Surely there are gay people in the royal family past and present, not one of those has had the courage to come out so I doubt this baby will be much different.

1. King James VI of Scots and I of England didn’t make much effort to hide it. Divine Right, as opposed to popular consent, had certain advantages. Ironically!

1. There have probably been quite a few lesbian, gay or bisexual monarchs throughout history. As well as James VI & I, whom Riondo points out is well known for being gay, I’ve also read that Queen Anne may have been a lesbian.

2. Edward II probably was, James I/IV was, theres been a fair few princes as well (prince leopold probably). The most interesting one was William von Habsburg part of the Austro-hungarian royal family- crazy life story.

3. “Happily, since last week every child born in Britain is born into a society where gay people are now equal in law.”

Not quite, Mr. Summerskill, both Scotland and Northern Ireland do not have equal marriage yet. It’s amazing how many people have made comments like this since last week, England may be the biggest part of the UK in size and population, but it’s not the whole of the UK and England isn’t just another term for Britain. It’s bad enough when foreigners do it, but they might not know any better. British people should.

1. Geographer 23 Jul 2013, 4:20pm

Fair point about Scotland but he said Britain not UK. Northern Ireland is not part of Britain, hence why we have the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

1. I hardly think Ben Summerskill deliberately used the term Britain rather than UK because Northern Ireland doesn’t have same sex marriage – if he did so then why did he still make a glaring mistake? My point was that he is making the common mistake of thinking England and Britain are the same thing. I know Wales also got same sex marriage last week, but I doubt Ben Summerskill was referring to that.

As a Scot, I’ve put up with this kind of thing my whole life from BBC newsreaders etc. It gets annoying, to say the least. It’s very unlikely that a Scottish person would accidently say Scotland when they mean Britain and vice versa – English people do it all the time.

Let’s imagine for a moment that Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland had all got same sex marriage last week and England hadn’t. Would anyone at all have said anything like “Britain is now fully equal for gay people” – comments the like of which we’ve heard in abundance since last week. I doubt it.

1. Another example is the very subject of this story. In the 24 hours since this wee boy was born, I’ve heard people refer to him countless times as the future King of England, from presenters and so-called experts on the news coverage to ordinary people in the crowd. I just find it really irritating that Scotland (along with NI & Wales) are often left out in such a careless way.

1. maybe they just assumed that Scotland, Wales and NI will all have voted for independence by the time he comes to the throne.

2. It’s not something new, the Queen has been described as the Queen of England for years and years. This is just an extension of that stupidity/arrogance/laziness – call it what you will.

Besides, it’s SNP policy to keep the monarchy in an independent Scotland, if the people of Scotland should vote for independence next year, so your argument doesn’t really hold up.

2. Geographer 24 Jul 2013, 7:27pm

The point I was subtly trying to make, Bennie, was that if you want to correct someone for making a faux pas, don’t make a similar one yourself while criticising. I’m English but was brought up in Wales, so I get your point, as would my Scottish sister-in-law. I’m also a republican, so if I had my way, he wouldn’t be king of anywhere! ;)

1. Geographer 24 Jul 2013, 7:37pm

become*

2. Geographer, but I wasn’t simply moaning about Summerskill making a faux pas – if some made a statement about nothing important and made this mistake, then it wouldn’t have annoyed me (half as much!). But this is a very important issue and by making this careless mistake, it takes the focus off the fight for equal marriage throughout the rest of the UK.

Fair enough, I may have made a similar mistake in my comment, I can’t argue otherwise and I hold my hands up, but you then went on to suggest he said Britain specifically so as not to include NI, which I really doubt. He made the common mistake of getting England & Britain mixed up.

I also thought your initial reply also came across as being a bit condescending in tone, which nobody likes on these threads!

Finally by including NI in my comment, while it’s not part of Britain, is it part of the UK, and I couldn’t leave it out. I can hardly complain about Scotland being ignored and then ignore NI myself.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 23 Jul 2013, 3:45pm

Having a gay monarch would probably herald the disestablishment of the CoE or perhaps by then, it might have evolved and would accept SSM but I won’t hold my breath on that one.

It would indeed create a constitutional crisis. The government would be hard-pressed to disallow the next in line who happened to be gay from ascending the throne in this new era of more equality. There would be some of course who would try to prevent it, probably Tories for the most part. Let’s hope that as more royals have children, some of them will turn out to be gay and feel comfortable about being who they are in public.

5. theycantdothat 23 Jul 2013, 3:53pm

A king with a band of mignons would be like old times.

6. It’s a fcking baby.

Stop this sycophantic fawning now!

7. And some of us would be most comfortable with a republic. All this drivel about royal babies is a direct consequence of the incoherent madness of having hereditary public office in a democracy (actually, a democracy would be quite nice too).

1. de Villiers 23 Jul 2013, 9:53pm

The UK is a democracy.

8. Why does Mr Summerskill take such an interest in this having been so half-hearted about marriage equality. Seems weird.

1. He’ll no doubt want to take the credit for it!

1. What, the royal baby? That WOULD be news!

1. Ha, ha! Good one, Tom!

9. Michael 2912 23 Jul 2013, 5:38pm

So they bloody well should be. Am I supposed to be grateful. A bit of me is, but that’s probably a manifestation of internalised homophobia. For the sake of completeness I’d really prefer that we didn’t have a monarch at all.

10. Sorry we scoffed at the lesbian queen story but since its boy its all about equality? This is just as bad as the Tebbit debate. He will be who he wants to be until then let the child be. Discussing a baby’s sexuality and its barley 24hrs old makes me shudder. Besides which who is to say by the time that child may reign we will still be governed by monarchy, we may well be a republic.

Sorry Pink News we have already had gay royals its nothing new. It would be better if all that money which is leeched of us in taxes was used too build more hospital and schools for the sake of inter and intra-generational justice. Instead of it been pillaged on select few.

By the way I hope the child has long successful life and wish him well for the future and congratulate the duke and duchess on the birth of the first child

11. Of course people are uncomfortable with it. He’s a Baby! The idea of him being intimate with anyone is pretty uncomfortable!

12. I see Ben Summerskill is at it on the Guardian too, referring to “Britain’s new marriage bill”

I wish someone would tell him that England & Wales is NOT equivalent to Britain. Is he stupid or arrogant or what? I really don’t understand why such a simple thing is beyond his comprehension.

1. Just in case Ben Summerskill doesn’t read Pink News comments, I’ve left a comment on Stonewall’s own webpage about this! Maybe he’ll get the message after all!

1. GlaswegianMichael 24 Jul 2013, 1:07am

I doubt he will be reading Pink News comments, apart from to see what the enemy are up to! Despite what might be said publicly, I don’t think there is any love lost between Ben Summerskill and the Ben Cohen and the other senior peeps at Pink News.

13. I believe history may have set some precedent ;)

14. GingerlyColors 24 Jul 2013, 12:18pm

The Queen is Head Of State in 16 countries. As well as the UK which will see marriage equality in England and Wales next year, she is also Head Of State in New Zealand where same sex couples will be able to marry in four weeks time and Canada which has had SSM for several years now. Unfortunately the Queen is also Head Of State in Jamaica, which is one of the most homophobic countries in the world as well as Papua New Guinea, Belize, St Kitts & Nevis, Grenada, Antigua & Barbuda, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, St. Lucia, Barbados, The Solomon Islands and Tuvalu which all criminalize male homosexuality and in some cases, Lesbianism. All these countries would rather become republics than accept a gay King.

1. Let them go, I say … or …. firmly tie decriminalisation to the continuation of aid. I totally object to my hard-earned tax money being used to prop up regimes which hate my guts. Hate me all you want – but you ain’t doing it at my expense.

1. Geographer 24 Jul 2013, 7:45pm

Sorry, I clicked the wrong button. The thumbs up box looks like you want to report a comment. Fair point, made well.