Lib Dem MP responds to criticism over anti-homophobia campaign: ‘Most people are sick of homophobia’

1. Good to hear. John is a huge footy fan and has no truck with homophobia in the sport. He’s also been leading the campaign for Turing’s pardon.

He’s a good example of a Christian MP who does the right thing on LGBT+ equalities.

1. St Sebastian 23 Jul 2013, 1:30am

I agree, as you say I am sure he does the right thing not just on LGBT issues but on a whole range of equality issues.

2. This is the type of MP we need

3. bobbleobble 22 Jul 2013, 9:15pm

Given the dismal performance of the Lib Dems in Manchester recently it’s probably going to take a miracle for him to hold onto his seat in 2015. A shame, he is one of the few Lib Dems I wouldn’t mind seeing remain in the Commons.

1. I’m sure if you contacted his office and offered to deliver some leaflets, knock on some doors or make a donation, you wouldn’t be turned away :)

2. Jane McQueen 23 Jul 2013, 1:59pm

Actually it is generally MP’s like him who will stay in, even if nationally the lib dem vote falls a lot. A good constituency MP will generally attract support from swing voters in large numbers. Oh and the Lib Dems will blitz the seats they have with flyers and leaflets and their “comments” on people standing against them.

4. Bill Cameron 22 Jul 2013, 9:30pm

I’m not a ‪‎LibDem‬ supporter, but fair is fair, John Leech MP has no truck with ‪‎homohopbia‬ from a constituent – wll done, that man! :)

5. A nice robust and comtemptuously short response.

Well done Mr Leech

6. Thank you, MP Leech.

7. Go, John Leech!

8. Great response from the MP to a stupid letter.

9. I have nothing but admiration for this MP, he’s also been very supportive of court/police interpreters in their struggle against a disastrous outsourcing contract which has forced most out of them out of their profession only to be replaced by a cowboy company that has caused huge disruption and expense to the public purse. John was to my knowledge the first MP to speak up in parliament about this lamentable situation and has a very wise head on his shoulders. What a shame there aren’t many MPs like him.

10. St Sebastian 23 Jul 2013, 1:27am

What a great response John Leech. Political correctness is an accusation made by people who use cliches/generalisations and are too lazy and/or arrogant to consider the effect of what they say has on other. Political correctness should not be confused with suppression of opinion and/or criticism that are justified by some reasoning, whether the reasoning is flawed.

11. Good job Mr Leech, shame I can’t have him as my MP instead of the awful Simon Hughes!

12. Helge Vladimir Tiller 23 Jul 2013, 9:19am

Yes, peope from all parts of society-all political parties- all social classes, and so on, and so on, are tired of this religious and right wing fascists who spread homophobia around them. Even in small Norway these groups exist. My experience dates back to 1955.Oh, dear Life, let me have a few years without this sordid judgement of peoples love life.

13. I wish he was my MP!

14. I would have added…
    Research shows that many homophobes are struggling with self-loathing due to suppressed homosexual urges. I suggest you get some help with that.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 23 Jul 2013, 10:49am

Yes, Cal, true ! When a person reaches a point where he can no longer deny his homosexual feelings, his anger and hatred turns against the very source of this discovery, which very often is a person of his own sex. So sad ! : An encounter which could have ended in a romance- ends up with violence and hatred.

15. I applaud the letter but I think that Leech, at least briefly, should have tackled this bigot’s blatant association of gays with threats to children and contemptuous dismissal of equality as ‘political correctness’. On the other hand, I know from experience that responding to these characters at all can make talking to a brick wall seem a fruitful use of one’s time.

16. casparthegood 23 Jul 2013, 1:34pm

The most polite and restrained “Eff Off you fool” I have seen in years. Well done

17. What a breath of fresh air to find an MP who doesn’t hold back and wrap himself in diplomatic language for the sake of a vote. Not that this guy would have voted for him (or probably anyone bar UKIP / BNP)

18. Wow! What a great response. Direct and to the point – especially the last sentence. Love it!

19. Widdershins 23 Jul 2013, 7:31pm

Short and to the point. Doesn’t engage with the rabid ramblings but gets his point across anyway.
    Nicely done sir.

20. It’s good to see that there are cool people like this out in the world. I claim absolutely no knowledge on how politics work in the UK, but he seems like he could be an actual good politician (at least as far as some issues go). I like how his response was respectful, but firm. Unlike that which he was responding to, which was full of hateful language.