US: Letting trans children live according to their identity is ‘child abuse’, says attorney

1. Paula Thomas 21 Jul 2013, 4:48pm

No. Child abuse is what Roman Catholic clergy do not this.

2. Child abuse is ignoring the child’s wishes and enforcing something on them that makes them utterly miserable.
    This is not child abuse:
    ‘My child is five years old, was born anatomically male, and has identified strongly and unvaryingly as female from the moment she could speak … believe me, you wouldn’t want my child to attend family gatherings as a boy. She’d be miserable and badly behaved, the way she was in that long, sad year when I resisted her constant efforts to convince me that I’d actually got her gender all wrong. But as a girl, she’d be the life of the party. You’d be glad you decided to have kids at your wedding. When the band starting playing, you’d dance with her, and I promise you, you’d be swept off your feet.’

3. “Letting trans children live according to their identity is ‘child abuse’, says attorney”

No, NOT letting trans children live according to their identity is ‘child abuse’.

4. While there are cruel a-holes around like this guy to bully transgender children, he sort of has a point.

The thing is it’s him that that’s the source of the abuse, not the parents

1. Living a lie can be far worse than facing bigotry, for many it is too much to bear.

5. How Matt barber passed any higher exam is a mystery. The guy is an ass hat of the highest caliber.

6. I would suggest this religious encrusted atorney read – Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin and then he might have a better grasp of some of the subject matter.
    Perhaps he should also talk to some transgender and intersex teenagers and then get back to us, he should be quite safe as long as he listens, is respectful and doesnt pontificate his prejudged opinions.

1. Mihangel apYrs 22 Jul 2013, 2:02pm

they don’t want to understand.

7. So these are the same people who are fighting for the right for kids to be tortured to suicide with “ex-gay” therapy that is dangerous and doesn’t work, but parents letting a trans kid wear different clothes is “child abuse”?????

1. Yup, pretty much – the very same.

They are insane.

8. “An attorney from the Christian legal group Liberty Counsel” Tells mostly all you need to know to understand his misguided prejudices.

As an attorney, I wonder how many cases he has lost? does he merely argue his cases based on his beliefs and biases people present to him, or does he actually do research?

I am suspecting he does not do research… because if he did he would not be able to build a solid case to substantiate his claims of abuse allegations

1. casparthegood 21 Jul 2013, 7:56pm

His kind don’t need to research , the Big Bookof Fairy-Tales tells them what to think and do regardless of the situation. Even when he is blatantly wrong he is always right somehow or other according to that.

2. David Cary Hart 22 Jul 2013, 12:16am

This cretin is not licensed to practice law in any state – and never has been.

9. I’m curious, “Mr.” Barber; when you “explain to your children why they can’t always have what they want, do you just raise your voice, or do you use a belt, paddle, or open hand? Because I just cannot see an ego-maniacal douche-canoe like yourself being calm, quiet and reasoned. You are the kind of person, demonstrated by your attitude many times over, who must assert that you are the one who is “in the right”, regardless of whether anyone cares about your opinion or not!

10. He added: “You know, I have three children. They demand lots of things. And I tell them, ‘No,’ and I explain to them why it is not in their best interests to have every demand.”

C… Why?
    F… Because I am your father and I know best!
    C… Why?
    F… Because!
    C… Why?
    F… Be quiet
    C.. Why?
    F… Because your annoying me!
    C…Why?
    F… Because your not listening!
    C…Why?
    F… Because I don’t want to talk about it!
    C… Why?

11. white squirrel 21 Jul 2013, 10:35pm

again the xians spout the gender confusion nonsense

the only confusion is in their understanding
    ‘focus on the family spew the same garbage ‘just bring them up in the ‘appropriate gender model and the child will learn according
    – they say nothing about what parents are supposed to do if the enforced indoctrination fails to ‘take’
    it is time they realised the urge to be the gender the brain says you are will overwhelm unless allowed release

12. I am super happy about the comment section on this.
    far too many trans anything posts on almost any site get stormed by people that just really hate trans people. good on you, pink news commenters. :D

1. This is true, nothing from paddy swords, the irish troll who usually does spout some anti trans rubbish

13. Christian fundamentalist based Lawyer versus well established and respected organizations like the American psychiatric association, American psychological association and American pediatric association in a court of secular law, I know who is gonna lose. This dub ass twit of a lawyer.

14. It’s just your problem, you simply don’t understand us transgender people. Let us live our lives and just shut up.

1. white squirrel 22 Jul 2013, 5:54am

Not sure that would really work where religious parents of trans children are concerned -such parents appear to have no intention of letting their kids just live their lives – but vocally declare they will bend and forceably mould thier children into whatever shape they imagine a book by goat herders says they ought to – and claim everyone else must do that as well

15. Mihangel apYrs 22 Jul 2013, 2:06pm

and yet they scream about their rights as parents to do whatever they want with their children’s unbringing – keeping them away from the gay/straight alliance, and its “day of silence”, sending their kids off to fundie camp, forcing their young teens into “reparative therepy”

Hypocrisy doesn’t come close.

In cases of gender dysphoria, personally, I think it is a good idea to offset puberty until the child is absolutely certain about their gender.

16. John in Toronto Canada 22 Jul 2013, 4:49pm

Can they not hear what they’re saying? The simple act of letting nature be nature is not child abuse.
    What a cruel world we live in. And the cruelest seem to speak the loudest.

17. katherine power 22 Jul 2013, 8:10pm

What a load of absolute rubbish. Who do these so called Christian do-gooders think they are. They’re denying the individuals human rights and choices. The parents should be applauded for being in touch with the real world and for supporting their children in their struggle, because believe me it is a struggle and these kids need all the support they can get from understanding parents and community. As someone else said, certain churches know far more about child abuse than almost any other group so they’re on very shaky ground to begin with. The parents should be supported and applauded and kick these narrow minded bigots into touch.

18. Child abuse is calling children ‘kids’. A kid is a baby goat and is a lower life form not a term of enderment.

19. Abuse is what we Trans-children suffered in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s when our loving parents would beat us into conforming to an identity that just didn’t fit our personality. We’ve grown, we’re past that, and this A-hole should move to Afghanistan where they love religious intolerance…