US: Democratic West Virginia Representative backs anti-equal marriage federal ban

1. Kimiko Kotani 19 Jul 2013, 7:11pm

Only 39 backers, huh? I see 39 people who need voting out of office.

2. bobbleobble 19 Jul 2013, 7:15pm

Hardly surprising, apart from Senator Rockefeller who is retiring next year anyway, the Democrats from West Virginia probably belong in the Republican Party anyway.

But they couldn’t get the Federal Marriage amendment through the legislature back in 2004 or 2006 when they controlled both Houses of Congress, only one state had SSM and DoMA was in full force. Why they think they have a chance now is beyond me.

1. Paula Thomas 20 Jul 2013, 6:18am

They don’t think they have a chance. But they think their own electorate want it and it will help their re-election if they say so.

3. Could you even be bothered? Even if I was straight and found the idea of anything to do with homosexuality inherintly disgusting I would have given up on this ages ago. Really, I’d give up after one or two petitions. I’d think “Does this really affect me that much? Maybe I should find a better use of my time and energy”

These people are such losers.

They’re so foolish they don’t even think of the reprocussions their views will have in the future. I wonder what their children and grand children and people in 30 years will think of them?

They’re like the fools who thought they could try and keep people of colour their slaves and pretend they wanted equality all along once it passed to save face and be believed.

Luckily, the nasty bigots & the white supremists are leaving behind quite the paper trail that will be much harder to cover up in this generation.

People in the past could deny it, now we have plenty of evidence to slap them with if they try any funny business in future.

4. Who’s paying for this? If he feels so strong about an amendment let him dig deep into his own pocket. Thinking he’ll quickly change his mind.

5. GingerlyColors 19 Jul 2013, 7:22pm

While there are Republicans who go against the party grain and support gay marriage, there are Democrats who oppose it.
    Changing the US Constitution is a difficult thing, especially as the Constitution is designed to protect the interests of the American people. When an Amendment is tabled two-thirds of Congress has to support it then more than three-quarter of the States (currently 38 out of the 50) have to ratify it. With 13 States now enjoying marriage equality an Amendment is doomed to fail. Over 10,000 proposals to Amend the US Constitution has been made since it went into effect in 1789 and only 27 of these have been successful. The 18th Amendment is currently the only one to have been overturned by another, the 21st (Prohibition of alcohol).

6. Since he is a democrat, I suppose groups like NOM will be throwing out stories about how the proposed amendment has ‘bipartisan support’.
    Laughable.

7. Why so surprised? Not so long ago even Hillary Clinton was against it. Even if it’s now officially supported by the party you can’t expect half of the us politicians to change their minds so quickly, especially among elderly West Virginians…

8. That There Other David 19 Jul 2013, 9:53pm

The very definition of a DINO I suppose. Shame he represents West Virginia, which will probably keep voting him in regardless of his position here. Not exactly the most welcoming of states for anyone not fitting into heteronormative roles.

1. Beelzeebub 20 Jul 2013, 3:22am

I am gaynormative.

As nature created me.

Perhaps we only wish to fit into the heteronormative roles in order to stop being “the other”.

Its easier for “the stupids” to accept us if we duplicate their norms.

After all, gay people tend to be more intelligent, better educated, wealthier and are better at bringing up children and have a fabulous sense of style.

All proven in academic studies.

I would say that we are the more advanced part of humanity.

1. That There Other David 20 Jul 2013, 11:22am

Not really the point I was making. The whole concept of heteronormative stereotypes has changed thanks to the strides women have made towards equality. They don’t stay in the home whilst a man works to provide for them, haven’t for decades, and therefore as the relationship between the sexes has changed it has had a knock on effect on human relationships in general.

In West Virginia they are more resistant to the changes that have led to this, hence they are less enlightened when it comes to anyone who is outside of the traditional gender roles.

9. Obama should kick this guy out of the party.

10. James Savik 19 Jul 2013, 10:00pm

Ah… a grandstanding politician.

Who would have ever guessed.

11. I’m all for democracy but isn’t this a massive waste of tax payers cash?

12. I’m making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do… D­a­y3­7.ℂ­ℴ­M

1. Spam. Report and ignore.

13. Beelzeebub 20 Jul 2013, 3:14am

Hey old white privileged heterosexual guy.

You will be dead soon.

The current and future generations do not agree with you.

Stop making life difficult for those not like you.

Somewhere there is a headstone with your bigoted name on it.

I truly hope your grandchildren hate you as much as I do.

14. Jock S. Trap 20 Jul 2013, 8:36am

I do think in countries which have Equal Marriage there needs to be more protections, written into law that this cannot be used against us and debated whenever the nasty bigots want to be on some power craze notion.

Those who wish to be so bigoted and narrow- minded must be seen as just that.

People chose to be be on the wrong side of history but democracy rules for the relevance of society not religious dictatorships.

15. .....Paddyswurds 20 Jul 2013, 10:35am

@ Scot Roberts….
    …….”even though there efforts are unlikely to succeed.” Seriously, dude? What are you, a ten year old? You are supposed to be a journalist writing for a news site and you don’t know the difference between “there” and “their” Doesn’t anyone proof read this stuff before it is posted. I know you have made some serious boo boos in the past but I put them down to possible typos but this iis no typo. What barrell does Pink News scrape the bottom of tto find these morons. It is no wonder kids cant spell when they are forced to read this standard of sprlling. Don’t you know how to use Spell check? Sheesh!! Cue the down markers and the idiots shouting spelling police!! Bring it on and we will all then know who the morons are!

16. .....Paddyswurds 20 Jul 2013, 10:36am

@ Scot Roberts….
    …….”even though there efforts are unlikely to succeed.” Seriously, dude? What are you, a ten year old? You are supposed to be a journalist writing for a news site and you don’t know the difference between “there” and “their” Doesn’t anyone proof read this stuff before it is posted. I know you have made some serious boo boos in the past but I put them down to possible typos but this iis no typo. What barrel does Pink News scrape the bottom of to find these morons. It is no wonder kids cant spell when they are forced to read this standard of spelling. Don’t you know how to use Spell check? Sheesh!! Cue the down markers and the idiots shouting spelling police!! Bring it on and we will all then know who the morons are!

1. GulliverUK 20 Jul 2013, 4:41pm

I know the difference but occasionally when I’m typing, for some reason I have yet to fathom, I sometimes use the wrong one.

If you understood the sentence and context then you’ve understood the message, even if the grammatical particulars had a minor error, which did not stop the message being properly understood. There are few occasions when misspelt words interfere with the meaning conferred.

Put it down to the work of the devil and continuous 24/7 prayers from NOM, FRC, IFI, etc., trying to get God to cause the hand to miss-type.

ps. have you not seen my posts when I’m using my tablet? :D

And did the Lord not say — judge not, lest ye be judged ! :)

1. .....Paddyswurds 20 Jul 2013, 5:46pm

You’re Scot Roberts? Who knew. …Wrong usage of words drive me batty. I absolutely hate it and I get really frustrated by it. I know there are those who think it’s a minor thing and scream Grammar Naz1 but when I went to school my teacher was a stickler for English grammar and spelling and I guess it stuck. I get all up in the air too about “to, too and two. Perhaps it’s the Irish in me. Someone once said, can’t remember who, that the English invented the language but the Irish perfected it….. Thanks for being a bit more gracious than I was.

1. .....Paddyswurds 20 Jul 2013, 5:49pm

@Scott…
          … BTW who is the “Lord” dude?

2. GulliverUK 20 Jul 2013, 4:42pm

pps. Gave you a thumbs up for being a pedantic bugger :-p

17. Coffee Drinker 20 Jul 2013, 4:08pm

West Virginia, another backwater redneck southern state where it’s legal to have sex with animals and marry your cousin, as long as their not of the same sex. This Rep has no business being a Democrat.

18. GulliverUK 20 Jul 2013, 4:33pm

No chance of even being debated. Fringe wackjob living in some sort of bubble (a giant condom?) where he has no idea what the majority think, and arrogantly hasn’t bothered to ask.

“Democratic lawmaker”? Is he sure he knows what the Democratic party represents? Again, clearly hasn’t seen a newspaper in 3 years, and doesn’t own a TV. “Lawmaker” … I think you’ve misspelled “Lunatic” :)

I’m sure the religious right have his pay-off in the post – I assume he’s not standing for election next time around?

So it is true … money can buy … anything.

1. .....Paddyswurds 20 Jul 2013, 5:55pm

He probably knows he is on shaky ground come election time and he thinks this sort of bullshyte will appeal to the backwood straw chewing religotards. Well he has probably guaranteed that he will lose the seat now, if the GLB voters in Virginia have any balls ….

1. .....Paddyswurds 20 Jul 2013, 5:57pm

oops West Virginia**

2. Jon "maddog" Hall 20 Jul 2013, 6:03pm

Some day, “GulliverUK” I would love to have a beer or two with you.

19. Tom Cotner 20 Jul 2013, 5:07pm

Ignorance and stupidity spring forever!

20. A constitutional amendment has to be passed by 2/3 of both Houses of Congress; then it is sent on to the States, where 3/4 of the State Legislatures must pass it before it becomes law. That’s already impossible. There are 50 States, minus the 13 that already have marriage equality leaves 37 that don’t. 3/4 of 50 is 37.5. And there will be MORE with marriage equality before an amendment even reaches the States … it takes YEARS to get to that point. So … they know it will fail. This is just red meat for their base.

21. Snowball’s chance in hell.