Film director: Enders Game has nothing to do with gay rights and is based on a ‘great’ book

1. Hogwash. It’s not his “view” on same sex marriage, it is his proactive stance, as a (former?) board member of NOM, to actively engage in subverting rights from people.

What’s more, he has equated us with child molesters and thinks that the anti-LGBT laws should still be on the books – so he thinks we should be sent to prison for who we are.

He can shove his film where the sun doesn’t shine, and this director can do the same.

Not one penny. Not when you consider how much demonstrable harm he has done to people in the US with his anti-LGBT behaviour/

2. That There Other David 19 Jul 2013, 2:10pm

Do they still not get it, or is this just attempts at managing the PR fallout?

3. bobbleobble 19 Jul 2013, 2:17pm

Don’t these people understand English? I couldn’t care less what the book is about, it’s not the book I object to. It’s the author and his views that are the problem and the fact that he will profit from this.

As Valksy said, this isn’t just some guy who doesn’t like us, he actively campaigned to have our rights curtailed and as far as I’m aware still does. That’s the point that people are making and these idiots are wilfully ignoring.

4. Barry William Teske 19 Jul 2013, 2:42pm

The Bible had nothing to do with gay rights, and it was based on a great book too.

5. Barry William Teske 19 Jul 2013, 2:45pm

Discuss:

1. The Bible is based on a great book, thank you for that insight, which book was is based on exactly? Must have been a great work of fiction.

1. Barry William Teske 19 Jul 2013, 4:16pm

Just to be clear, my meaning is in how The Bible has been co-opted to be used as a weapon against others who do not prescribe to others beliefs or interpretations of it.

1. I think you may be barking up the wrong tree if you expect a theological debate.
          For some reason Bibles seem about as popular here as a condom in the vatican.

2. The bible’s a mixed back of previous myths & cults, shaken up and posited as ‘true’.
      It’s like mixing banana, strawberry, raspberry and vanilla together and claiming I made coco cola.

6. I thought the point of the boycott was a refusal to support a bigot, not the content of the book.
    Clearly those involved with the film know this but refuse to acknowledge it since there is no excuse, doubtful they would try this BS if Card was racist instead of homophobic.

1. Exactly. If a KKK Grand Wizard wrote the world’s greatest Science Fiction novel would anyone want to make a movie out of it? I bloody well hope not.

1. Of course they’d want to make a novel out of it; it’s the GREATEST science fiction novel ever.

Really small-minded people here; boycott this, boycott that.

1. bobbleobble 19 Jul 2013, 5:10pm

If you think that then you’re not so much small minded as tiny mined. And if they did then black groups would be up in arms and there would be calls for boycotts.

It is impossible to separate the man from his work. It is not small minded to hold someone accountable for their actions. Boycotts can and do work, sometimes hitting people in the pocket is the only way to get your point across.

2. There’d be no problem at all making such a novel into a movie… if you waited for either the book to pass into the public domain, or the KKK Grand Wizard to die so that his (hopefully less bigoted) kids were the ones to profit from it.

3. Cecil B De Mille’s film “Birth of a Nation” would be one example (not sci-fi) where the director’s dodgy KKK friendly agenda leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Back in 1915 it might have passed for the zeitgeist but these days it just looks like the work of of someone long overdue for a chat with his HR manager.

The only ethical difference between Birth of a Nation and Ender’s Game is Card’s intolerance isn’t up on screen for all to see but in both instances they profit from the box-office and can turn that profit into cash for bigoted causes.

7. Bullcrap….still not watching this crap

8. He’s right. And while i’m expecting people to call me a moron, a homophobe, and bitch, all the other things you have called me for expressing my opinion, which makes you all hypocrites, whether you want to admit it or not, you cannot deny that the book has nothing to do with homophobia. I get that you’re all against the author, not the book, but put it aside, and at least acknowledge that this book helped shaped sci fi as we know it, and made a positive impact. I’m not gonna stop expressing my opinion on this, no matter how much you insult me for it, because i’ve been insulted my whole life for many reasons, lesbianism being one of them, and i can handle it from hypocritical, angry, hateful people, who are turning into what they hate. That is all, i am done, and feel free to down vote this.

1. bobbleobble 19 Jul 2013, 3:37pm

He may be right but that’s irrelevant. The boycott isn’t about the book but about the man behind the book. You cannot simply separate the author from the work, that’s totally unrealistic.

I’m not going to insult you because you’re entitled to your view but I think that view is misguided. After all, it’s because of people like Orson Scott Card that you were insulted for your lesbianism and yet you think we should give him our money because he wrote a good book? That doesn’t make sense to me.

1. Well, you’re a rarity on this site then. It’s nice to see someone argue against my view without calling me a moron or a homophobe. While i do believe there can be exceptions to the rule, I still believe that people, for the most part, should be separated from their works. Talent and personal politics don’t have to go hand in hand. I believe hard work in the creative fields should be rewarded, regardless of who it is.

2. Bit of an over-the-top post there, Naomi. We didn’t ask for your life story.

He’s not right – they’re trying to gloss over the homophobia to protect their revenue, which, whilst understandle, isn’t more important than sending a clear message to this homophobe.

1. Well, whenever i post an opposing opinion on this site, i get abused, so you can forgive me for getting pissed and taking precautions

3. His actions – via the board of NOM – are directly connected to the block for FOUR YEARS of LGBT getting married in California.

That may seem like nothing to you, but there is a lovely guy who posts here from time to time and he tells us how his partner passed before they could get married here. I think about him with sorrow a little every time he posts, I think about all those other LGBT people who were blocked from finding joy and had their lives just a little it harder than they had to be because if Scott Card and those like him.

And spare us your bloody victimhood, do you actually think you are the only one who has been “insulted” (or often much worse). And what do you suppose informs and perpetuates that kind of bloody behaviour if NOT the overt bigotry of people like Scott Card.

1. Talk to the wall. You’ll have a more satisfying dialogue.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 19 Jul 2013, 4:17pm

Totally concur, Val. I think the lovely guy you mention is Pavlos.

1. Believe so – I’m good with stories but am truly horrible with remembering names. But his story stuck in my mind, as does that told by a guy who had been with his partner some 50+ years and was finally getting hitched. These are human tales reflecting the harm that has done – it shouldn’t be necessary to make it so personal for some people to manage some empathy, but apparently it is.

4. Yes, as a lesbian, carry on supporting freaks like Card who donate the money they make from you, to promote prop 8 & KILL homosexuals in Uganda.
      You’re like those Jews who supported Hitler, and your excuse is, “oh, well, Hitler draw a really cool picture.”
      And you wonder why you find people posting negative views to comments you expressive on a GLBT news site?

1. *express

5. Robert in S. Kensington 19 Jul 2013, 4:21pm

Naomi, don’t you find it a bit rich that Card is asking for tolerance yet NOM, the anti-gay hate group that he was once a member of has accorded us no tolerance by seeking to overturn equal marriage legislation in American states and threatening supportive politicians with ouster. They even tried to meddle in the other hate group, Manif pour Tous in France. . Stop acting the apologist for the haters, our oppressors. The fact that people like him oppose equal marriage and equality and wanting both enshrined in law is tantamount to hate. Get your head out of the sand and face facts, reality.

1. I’m not making excuses for his politics at all, i can’t stand him as a person. But creative hard work should be rewarded, no matter who they are. It’s fair. I’m not saying reward him for his politics, as that would be wrong, but i’m saying he should be rewarded for the work he put in to that series. I’m only arguing for the film, not for him.

6. Moron Homophobe bitch well – you said you were expecting them!

9. David Jordan 19 Jul 2013, 3:30pm

All of them are avoiding the big question, how much does Card stand to make personally from this film?

1. He’s the producer, and his book sales will no doubt benefit the movie’s release. That money will then go on to finance more ‘prop 8s’ and more kill the gays in Uganda, type laws.
      If he had no financial gains, and/or he was deceased, I would have no real issue, the main fact is he’ll be gaining lots from this film.
      Many artists, actors and musicians of the past held horrible views, but by boycotting them, they’re no longer losing out. They’re dead.

1. David Jordan 19 Jul 2013, 5:21pm

And that’s my point, Lionsgate have gone on a media blitz to convince the public that the film is not homophobic but have failed to disclose what has and will be paid to anti-gay crusader Card in royalities.

10. It has to do with who we as free individuals decide to spend our hard earned money on – and when an author is so publically anti gay – I for one still feel justified in boycotting this film – homophobic by association may make his collaborators think again.

…and I suppose it was pure coincidence that he named his evil baddies – ‘buggers’ yeah nothing homophobic in this movie.

Is it at all likely that Gavin Hood has a cut of the Box office mmmmm?

11. Colin (London) 19 Jul 2013, 3:32pm

I disagree. If you knew someone was a rapist would you welcome them into your home. Same issue. At every turn Card is homophobic and everyone should know this. It is not acceptable as to those of us who are gay this is our lives, the way we are dealt with every day of our lives!

I stick by my original post:

Look at the man first and what he stands for and you will know what to do instinctively.

I certainly won’t watch the film and am thinking of a protest in Leicester Square when it arrives. Anyone want to join me. (Nov 2013 approx.)

1. Colin (London) 19 Jul 2013, 3:33pm

I think they are starting their marketing any day now so lets write to the film magazines and blog on their sites.

12. here, here Naomi, Breath in and out….combat trousers ready for the weekend?

13. These people defending his film are completely lacking in principles. He will make money from the film and I don’t want a homophobe having ANY of my money.

14. Barry William Teske 19 Jul 2013, 4:17pm

15. Once again they evade the issue. The boycott is not about the film’s storyline. It may well be very worthy and uplifting. That though, is not the point. It is about the financial gain that Card stands to make from it. He is a proud advocate of removing all human rights from gay people and has spent lots of time and money in furthering that agenda. It is right and proper that gay people and their supporters can choose to make their feelings known by NOT giving their hard earned money to Card so that he can then use it against them. He is credited as a producer of the film and it is therefore likely that he is on a percentage of the profits. I for one will not be giving him any of my money.
    If any of you feel that you must see this film, please try to control yourselves and wait for it to hit the remainders bin at your local DVD store. With luck, it shouldn’t take too long.

1. Just torrent it or buy it off a man in your office if you’re desperate. Do not pay actual money for it even in a bargain bin.

To be honest there are so many movies that have already been made why would anyone be that bothered to miss this one.

16. GulliverUK 19 Jul 2013, 5:15pm

Orson Scott’s views against equality are so repugnant that anything he touches is tainted.

People are free to go see it if they wish, but in the back of your mind you will know you’re actually putting money in his pocket, for him to carry on with his views and anti-gay campaigning.

We’ve got to stop funding our opponents, companies, individuals and organisations that work to deny us basic equal rights.

Reading the comments this is what so many are saying. If you’re going to see the film why not go the whole hog and donate directly to NOM ! Nobody would think to do that, but I bet he’ll pass on some of his profits to them.

1. bobbleobble 19 Jul 2013, 5:18pm

Plus he’s a mormon so presumably donates 10% of all his earnings to them as required and we all know how they feel about us.

17. it was never about some sci fi movie-its about giving $ to some bigot-and that we simply cannot do…

18. Wagner was an anti-Semite. Apparently his music is especially popular in Israel! Some people can separate the person from his art.

1. Yeah popular with the Israeli Muslims & Sunnis! Fool

19. Yes, Wagner was an anti-Semite and that is, quite rightly repugnant. However, he does not make any money from sales of his music. Card stands to make a huge amount. Some of which will, no doubt, end up in the coffers of the NOM to be used against us. When the film and books are out of copyright and he can no longer make any money from them, that is the time I will consider purchasing them.