Exclusive: I am so proud we have had the courage to make love equal by David Cameron

1. Benjamin Cohen 18 Jul 2013, 11:23am

Thank you David Cameron for thanking us!

1. Yay – Out4Marriage got a mention!

So glad I got to be part of it – two of the best years of my life!

Amazing experiences and a real feeling of achievement against the opposition.

1. Colin (London) 18 Jul 2013, 12:06pm

Well done and Thank you…simple words but from the heart.

I wish you continued success and happiness.

2. Thank you David Cameron for showing true leadership and doing the right thing in the face of almost hysterical opposition from some quarters.

3. GingerlyColors 18 Jul 2013, 11:27am

Being British has just got greater.

4. Kudos to Mr Cameron for bringing in this important reform, for standing strong against the vitriol and bigotry. Now perhaps Mr Cameron can focus on wealth inequality and look at why the poorest in society pay proportionately more tax than rich people. If equality matters, lets make our society more equal.

1. What about having fair votes too? I would like the Tories to take seriously
      the issue of inequality in our ‘democracy’. Democracy is about ONE PERSON, ONE VOTE AND ONE APPROXIMATELY EQUAL VALUE TO THEIR VOTE.

5. Jock S. Trap 18 Jul 2013, 11:34am

Thank you Mr Cameron, you have shown true leadership and you have certainly made me feel proud!!

6. I’m very glad Cameron gave a big thankyou to out4marriage and freedom to marry, they deserved it. I watched the last few debates in parliament on equal marriage and heard a lot of thanks given to Stonewall but sadly these two other groups failed to get much of a mention. Obviously Stonewall must have done a lot of work as well but I really don’t think they got us, the public, motivated in the same way and possbbly not at all in most people’s case. It certainly for me was PN and these comment pages which got me going.

I also think a lot of thanks should also be given to all those email/letter writers as well. Nameless people who I think probably did a lot of work. I also think the internet got us equal marriage.

My only continuing gripe is that we shouldn’t have to wait another yr to get married!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Jul 2013, 12:34pm

I concur. I was also surprised that Stonewall was mentioned Tuesday evening. I’m not quite sure exactly what it has done to help implement passage of this Bill. Perhaps someone with knowledge about it could explain. Obviously it contributed something to even elicit an acknowledgement. I don’t come away with the impression that it was that pro-active aside from Ben Summerskill giving evidence during the Commons Committee.

My personal view is that Out4Marriage and Pink News as well as Freedom to Marry did far more.

I also don’t see why we should have to wait a year to get married. At least scale it back, perhaps by year’s end. The thought of hearing more of the hateful vitriole coming from C4M and others in opposition for another year is just a bit too much for me. Who knows what kind of mischief they’ll be up to and that awful man Tory MP Peter Bone calling for an Earl Day Motion in the autumn to have a referendum to overturn the law.

1. I think you should let Peter Bone have his Early Day Motion – he might be less full of …… afterwards

2. There’s a whole group of early day motions and private members bills in the autumn: referendum on SSM, bring back national service, prohibit face coverings in public, reinstate the death penalty. Watch those eyes swivel. I see Peter Bone pays his wife to be his PA – so that’s another £40k for the public purse then. I think it’s really time to build an asylum wing in Parliament

7. Well done Mr Cameron. Clearly not been easy to manage, but thank you for sticking with your convictions.

8. Colin (London) 18 Jul 2013, 12:08pm

Mr Cameron
    Thank you for this…I will remember it and you to the day I die. There are many to thank also.

9. Pinknews, all who work there, and everybody who contributes, from everywhere, should be congratulated on their stamina alone. It’s been a long battle, sometimes with little light at the end of the tunnel, constant hate from some religions, their taunting, bullying and baiting. It wasn’t enjoyable fighting them, but with everyone pulling together and Pinknews providing the news and platform, I think we gained through sheer determination to draw a line in the sand. And we must thank the public for their support, without which this might never have been achieved.

I hope opponents have a bloody nose and will take note that we will not be denied equal rights. The campaign groups seem to spring from nowhere and took on powerful and well-financed anti-gay groups … with style and the grace those opposed lack. We did it without street protests and the sharpest thing we used was logic and common sense – which prevailed, as it always, eventually, does. Great result :)

1. I admit that I’d never really understood the whole Parliamentary system before – had never contacted a politician locally or otherwise and had never thought about lobbying an MP never mind a minster or a member of the House of Lords. But like many readers of PN and it’s amazing comments writers you got me thinking, then researching, then joining in.
      I had never watched the Parliament live feed before – never really getting the point – but found myself looking to see when the Act might be discussed so I could watch what was being said and by whom.
      I feel a bit more empowered and though I suspect it was the ‘bigger boys’ who really made the difference I would not hesitate to contact all these people again should the need arise and I will continue to follow PN and its contributors in the various battles ahead.
      That for me is the added bonus of the campaign PN and it’s readers have run. Thank you all.

2. What Gulliver…no mention of Mr Cameron for putting his political head on the proverbial chopping block?

1. GulliverUK 19 Jul 2013, 9:54am

Without David Cameron’s support this would probably not have happened at all, so yes, thanks Dave. And to think they were wanting to keep Section 28 not that long ago – old elephants have long memories :) I was limited by space, and had to edit it several times, to make it fit, and I thought I should pay special tribute to Pinknews, the campaign groups, and those who have pushed it forward. I think LobbyALord was particularly effective, but many of the comments here also showed the strength and determination, and I think that egged those of us with little fight left to keep going, keep fighting for what was right.

Most of all I think we all want young gay people to grow up in a society where they are equally valued, have all the opportunities that everybody else has, and particularly not to have to struggle with this constant fighting for equal rights – but just to get on with being themselves, finding a partner, perhaps starting a family, etc., something denied to so many of us.

10. Bravo Mr Cameron

11. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Jul 2013, 12:23pm

Thank you Prime Minister. We owe you much gratitude for the courage and determination to see this Bill through in spite of the fierce and often hateful opposition.

Delighted to hear Out4Marriage mentioned, well deserved. I still can’t believe it’s now the law of the land. Truly amazing. It makes me proud to be British.

12. TheBrutalKremlin 18 Jul 2013, 12:32pm

WHENever a politician is failing>> they run for the gays.

WHENever Madonna isn’t getting record sales>> she plays gay clubs.

WHENever the music bilge machine launches another crappy boy band, you guessed it>>gays.

Thanks but no thanks Mr Cameron. Your policies are harming our less-fortunate (poor-arsed) people, because despite what your Etonian cronies may tell you, all gays are not wealthy.

Your policies harm the community via the NHS disaster, and others, by not reaching for properly funded health care, and the HIV infection rates, alcoholism, drug addiction, and suicide rates are appalling, and a direct result of your policies, and those who preceded you.

You’ve done nothing about Uganda, taken no initiative on the murders in Iran…

Marriage does not elevate us to first class status Mr Cameron. Action on vital issues does.

So please, sir, spare us the sugar coating on your politically motivated smokescreen. But hey, it’s something.

Yours,
    The Other Half Cake Eaters

1. It’s because his party wasn’t all for it that David Cameron deserves so much credit. You also forget that it was only David Cameron that actually said he would consider the case for equal marriage prior to the last election. By the time the next election comes around I hope that the majority of the rest of the Tory party will also be onside.

But all that aside, it’s not equal marriage that is going to be the vote clincher for the Tory party but it does show that they have generally changed on LGBT issues. I hope LGBT issues won’t even come up at the elction becuase this Act shows that all parties agreed with the principles of LGBT equality.

13. TheBrutalKremlin 18 Jul 2013, 12:35pm

PS. If you REALLY want to show leadership:

REMOVE the atrocious (£60,000 total) amounts of money required for gay people married/CP’d to non-British nationals to be able to emigrate legally. As it stands, poor or working class queers have just lost the ability to be with their partners, of they try to emigrate now.

THEN, I would tip my hat to you.

14. Thank you for sticking to your guns in the face of such opposition from your own party, Prime Minister. I’m more impressed by your determination to see equal marriage through than I would ever have thought I’d be by a Conservative PM!

15. This is why there will never be equality in the US; it would require courage, the courage to make big changes even for an honorable cause, the courage of politicians to ignore the million-dollar political donations from bigots, and the courage of its citizens not to be sheep heading off to the slaughter house.

1. Colin (London) 18 Jul 2013, 1:51pm

Please don’t think that way. there are many many good people in the USA.

However the people must break up the union as it does not work now. Times have changed. If Mr Obama had the courage to say that the USA is broken…..many many good people around the world would come to it’s aid to help fix it. It’s just that if 1% of the worlds population own 99% we have a massive disconnect.

The people with a good leader must reinvent the USA political system…it’s corrupt now. and not fit for all residents.

Just a thought. Worked there and loved most people I met.

16. “If a group is told again and again that they are less valuable, over time they may start to believe it.”

This is so so so so so important. Little signs everywhere I went as a child drilled it into me that I wasn’t “normal” even though I knew gay people were natural and normal these little things added up to form quite a confused and confliced perspective. I knew that gay people were natural/normal but still felt ashamed and disgusting sometimes

When you feel ashamed or disgusted with what you do or who you are in any way, you’re reminded everytime you see someone you like or have sex or masturbate or anything and it can cause a great deal of personal conflict for an individual who is already pretty introverted, self concious or has low self esteem anyway…

I didn’t even realise how much this effected me until I dealt with it head on recently and ironed out my own grievences. That’s the real danger of this – the subconcous subtly of it all.

I’m a much happier person now :)

1. My respect for David Cameron has increased because of this, it seems he understands the importance of equality much more than I realised. I didn’t even understand how important this was until recently and I’m an actual homosexual so kudos to him :)

1. Colin (London) 18 Jul 2013, 1:53pm

Me too Mr Pink but for me many years ago. Great blogg.

17. Andrew John 18 Jul 2013, 2:45pm

I’m so glad for those who want to go down the marriage route. However, it will no doubt suit the Tory agenda (and Labour’s of course, since they’re no better) to have another type of unit that will be convenient for tax, benefit and other purposes, i.e. a unit that’s one entity (that happens to be made up of two), rather than two made up of two and living as if separate entities. Let’s celebrate equality by all means, but let’s not kid ourselves that Cameron and his cronies really believe in equality.

1. Tim Chapman 18 Jul 2013, 6:21pm

Claptrap Andrew John. On tax, HMRC will treat partners in same sex marriages and civil partnerships exactly the same, so of course SMS hasn’t been legalised for tax reasons. Get a grip.

18. He has not made love equal. Our love was the same before as it is now. He has opened a legal opportunity for those who want to live in married couples like married straights do.

1. Tim Chapman 18 Jul 2013, 6:23pm

But he has made it equal under the law (nearly). That was the whole point.

2. That is true, but we need to remember the message it sends ! Allowing gay people to marry just as straight people do is the state officially saying our love is the same and equal to theirs.

Marraige was designed as an institution for the purpose of men retaining power and dominance over women and children and trading them like cattle. We’ve moved on from that and now marraige is regarded as a way of declaring one’s love for another and making a commitment to that person.

19. What about the 128 scumbag Tory MPs who think we are 2nd class citizens Dave?

Are their careers over?

If not then why not?

1. Because the allies won the war darling.

20. I’d like Mr Cameron to give a firm commitment that banks and corporations will start paying their fair share of tax and that corporations like Google and Starbucks and Amazon are not allowed to move their money around Europe to avoid paying tax in Britain.

This is only fair.

And can Mr Cameron please make a firm commitment that the NHS will never be privatised., I am very worried that the Tory government wants to turn the UK health system into a barbaric joke like that which exists in the UK.

1. US I mean

What does Mr Cameron think about the idea of slashing the Defence budget.

If Trident is scrapped it will save billions of pounds which can be spent on health and education.

2. Why the hell has this been voted down? Apprently Pink News readers don’t like the idea of huge multi-nationals paying their fair share of tax in England and the US

1. Perhaps it’s more an issue of relevance to the subject being discussed?

21. Oh and Mr Cameron – can we have a firm commitment that the House of Lords is scrapped and replaced with a democratically elected upper house.

Can the vile Church of England be scrapped as the official state church.

And if we have a referendum on EU membership does he promise to have a referendum on whether we keep the monarchy as well?

1. I want a REAL REFERENDUM ON FAIR VOTES FOR ALL. The one on AV

was a blatant farce and CON which was purposefully designed so that we kept the sick joke of First Past The Post.

22. Great courage from my MP. I am proud of him and all those who worked so hard to bring this about

23. With Stonewall being so heartily thanked for something it didn’t really do, I hope that it sees fit to ‘do the right thing’ and give Mr Cameron one of its awards. Although he relied heavily on Labour and the LibDems to get this through, Mr Cameron’s willingness to tackle Thatcher’s legacy of bigotry in his own party and pursue the Bill in spite of a vicious wave of protest from traditional Tory voters will be remembered in the history books. He is a genuine pioneer for bringing the Tories kicking and screaming into the 21st century. The new Act, which still only represents ‘gay marriage’ rather than equal marriage, certainly bears the scars of his battle but I am still glad it has happened in the way it has. There will be no going back for the Tories now and Mr Cameron has set an example to conservatives the world over which will in time, I’m sure, seal a legacy for him of the kind that Tony Blair could only ever dream of. Thank you Prime Minister – you’re a star!

1. Danny Boyd 18 Jul 2013, 7:43pm

Can you not just give your congrats without being partisan? You seem to forget that it was Tony Blair’s government who repealed Section 28, introduced Civil Partnerships & stopped discrimination in the provision of goods & services. If it hadn’t been for Labour & the Lib Dems this would never have gone through.

24. Thank you Mr Cameron.

25. Although the situation has progressed, and Mr Cameron was politically astute in bringing the act to law, it is not equality. Equality would not have needed segregated definitions for same or different sex marriage. It is right to celebrate but it is also right to note that equality of rights is an absolute. So thank you also Peter Tatchell for your continued work on equality of human rights.

1. Tim Chapman 18 Jul 2013, 6:27pm

I second that.

2. What are you banging on about? There are no segregated definitions. That was proposed in an amendment, but it failed.

26. A, J,Mainland 18 Jul 2013, 4:38pm

Thank you Mr Cameron, (as a MacLeod from Lochaber your name is very poigniant indeed) for “holding fast,” midst the terrible negative storms you’ve had to face.
    Now, as Diane Abbot suggests, you can speak of other nations ills towards LGBT matters, with a voice of true authority. Many thanks, you’ve made all my pleading with those willing to listen, worth while.

27. This old argument again. Does polygamy even effect you? Does incest? Do gay people?

The law will never legally allow siblings to marry because there is reasonable evidence to suggest it harms children concieved and the vast majority of people don’t approve in general. If a bunch of women love a man so much they all want to marry him, or if a brother and sister happen to fall in love, then so bloody be it. The alternative nature of a few is never going to make me think the world is on a slippery slope to chaos no matter how “gross” it may appear to me personally. Who am I to tell anyone how to live their life? It if it makes them happy and doesn’t affect me then there’s no problem. I persoanlly have better things to do than worry myself about the sex life of a minority I don’t understand.

28. Hello yet again, Keith – your determination to entertain us on these threads recognises no hurdle, does it?

But the grammar and punctuation in your oh-so-witty pseudonym this time are (as so often) somewhat deficient: you forgot the possessive apostrophe and it should really be the intellectual pygmy’s advice centre since, as we all know, you are a stickler for accuracy.

1. Actually it should be the “intellectual pigmies’ advice centre”, since the number of intellectual pigmies on this site is certainly greater than one.

If you’re going to be pedantic then you’d be better off getting it right.

29. Not exactly all that ‘Excusive'; Cameron also wrote a piece for the London Evening Standard today…

1. Which part of the first sentence, Writing exclusively for PinkNews.co.uk and the media partner of our Out4Marriage campaign, the London Evening Standard…, do you have difficulty with?

30. He’s a great man for standing his ground on equal marriage, and I’ll always respect him for that, no matter what else he does (even though he’s making a right mess of the NHS).

Thanks Mr Cameron and the gay rights activists (Tatchell, Cohen and co.) who have fought to make it possible for me and my future husband to get married. Sincerely meant.

31. Never thought this would happen. So happy to be gay! Never thought in a million years a Tory government would be the ones to bring this to us! I will be voting for David in 2015.

32. I wait for the earth (6.500.000.000 humans) to get MARRIED me to Kristina Lacaba BY FORCE because by force you seperated us, and to get married me 18 Times simultaneously, otherwise DAVID tell them, they forget & humanity the earth at 2 months !

* – * Oath of the Angels, Akis Kan * – *

Bye.

33. Thank you, Dave. You have earned an important place in the history books. I’ll be supporting you in 2015.

1. dontvotetory 19 Jul 2013, 12:42pm

what for the party that voted mostly against it? What happens in they are a majority government and the reverse the bill.

34. Mark Cross 19 Jul 2013, 6:37am

Attention American bigots, particularly those in the American South: the ancestral homelands of so many of you have just passed marriage equality in a relatively swift and straightforward manner. The sun still rises. Breathe into a paper bag if you need to, and get over it.

35. Thank you David Cameron for being a racist scumbag whose laws demand sixty thousand quid before I can bring my wife to the UK. Thank you, you racist scumbag. Thank god gay people usually operate in higher income brackets.

36. Love will not be ‘equal’ until all individuals are entitled to ‘Shared Parenting’!

37. Hate this man with a vitriolic seething passion, but hell he did something good for a change…I tip my hat…

38. 1Co 6:9 God says, Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

39. Don Harrison 13 Oct 2013, 12:46pm

The Pink List was good but it makes very little notice of those at the launch of Equal Marriage bill, now act. Those who nursed it throgh including Simon Williams and Stephen Gibert both MPs. Baroness Liz Barker who outed herself in one of the readings of the Bill in the Lords.
    And of course those who had to work very hard behind the scenes including Adrian Trett and Ed Fordham, I know there were others but I can not include them all.
    Don