Edwina Currie: ‘The Queen Mum was always supportive of gay rights’

1. Jock S. Trap 17 Jul 2013, 2:25pm

I do actually know from friends that works with the Queen Mother that The Queen Mum was most supportive of Gay Rights and of the Staff she had that we themselves Gay.

I think it’s important to remember that All parties in power have improved our quality of life with regard to Gay issues and yes who would have thought that it would be the Conservative Party that introduces Marriage to us after promising to look into the matter.

I’m know I’m Proud!

2. So, basically, she liked us in our place as amusing servants. Her reason for employing gay people (we’re probably talking mainly men) was that we didn’t have family lives to interrupt the service. We were more willing to work crappy hours. Maybe it also had something to do with us being good at getting down on our knees and licking arse.

I’m not sure that adds up to her being “always supportive of gay rights”. We make good servants. Cool, thanks ma’am.

I’d be interested to know what else she did to prove her allegiance to the gay cause.

1. Why has this been voted down? I’d say that there is a lot of truth to this.

Let’s be honest she didn’t save up and earn the palaces she lived in did she?

1. I’ve come to the conclusion that voting up and voting down means nothing in regards to how true or false something is, but how comfortable the readers of the site are with said post. I think people tend to vote things down they find unsettling or uncomfortable no matter how true it may be. The digital equivilent of closing your eyes, putting your hands over your ears and going LALALALAL I DON’T WANNA HEAR THIS! lol

2. Also I think the readers of this site generally tend to like the Royal family and don’t like it when people speak ill of them in general even if it might be true

1. It is a Tory website as well.
          I loathe the royal family and think it is an undemocratic joke and want it abolished (along with the unelected House of ‘Lords’) as soon as possible.

2. What a bitter and twisted comment – full of class envy. You socialist worker republican types are just as out of step with social attitudes than the diminishing number of swivel-eyed far right wing loons!

1. We just want an elected head of state Thomas, that doesn’t automatically make us radical leftists. I want a fair and equal society, it’s hardly comparable to what the far-right swivel eyed loons want.

3. Maybe she was.

She was also a racist alcoholic though.

Swings and rounabouts.

1. de Villiers 17 Jul 2013, 7:33pm

I don’t think that I have ever heard you say something nice about anything or anyone.

1. Never a truer word de V, probably this reflects a self hatred so maybe Steve C deserves out pity.

1. And how do you explain DeVilliers religious lunacy, Jason?

Hardly the mark of a well-balanced, stable or intelligent person I am sure you will agree.

2. Oh be quiet you religious loon.

Queenie’s Mum was a drunken racist.

This is a fact irrespective of your opinion about me.

1. de Villiers 18 Jul 2013, 6:30am

With that level of kindness, you belong in the westboro church.

4. Marcwebbo3 17 Jul 2013, 3:39pm

One of her closest friends was Noel Coward and she also danced a few times with Elton….I do think she was very gay friendly….i also remember a story told when she came down late in the morning into the palace kitchen and said “This is one queen that hasnt had her breakfast yet” and laughed….great sense of humour bless her

1. I really doubt she ever saw the inside of the palace kitchen.

1. Marcwebbo3 17 Jul 2013, 8:53pm

And Im sure she did

5. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Jul 2013, 3:55pm

She was definitely gay friendly. A very close friend of mine now retired often waited on the Queen Mother and was very supportive of him and very kind to him and his partner long before CPs were the law. I’ve no doubt her majesty is no different especially since her sister had many gay friends on the social scene.

1. She was still part of an outdated, anachronistic system that I feel goes against true democracy. Calling the Queen “your majesty” is just fawning, it’s a word we have been conditioned to use. The Jubilee last year revolved around very simple but important themes : “Queen, hat, Queen, hat, bunting, Queen……….another hat”.

Mind you it keeps the masses happy and stops us from thinking I suppose.

1. That There Other David 17 Jul 2013, 4:34pm

The Jubilee was just an excuse for a party really. When you think what this country’s been through over the past five years we bloody well needed one.

1. I celebrated the Olympics much more, it showed a diverse, modern, tolerant and progressive country, that’s the Britain that I’m proud of.

What this country has been through? Undoubtedly life has been hard for many but let’s put this into perspective, many countries have it a LOT worse than we do. If any country needs a party I’d say Iraq or any country in Sub-Saharan Africa, think about what these countries have been through.

6. The Queen Mum was not quite as guarded in her convictions as Her Maj feels the need to be. Also, she was a close personal friend of gay playwright Noël Coward.

Allegedly, he was once escorting the Queen Mum past a row of guards in uniform at some event or other. She caught him eyeing them over and said, “I wouldn’t, if I were you. They count them when they put them out.” :D

1. Hahaha! Love it! :)

2. Hardly makes her a beacon of progress does it?

7. Bless Edwina! She’s never lost that eye for the bon mot that puts her on the front page.

8. George Broadhead 17 Jul 2013, 5:30pm

Edwina Currie tabled an amendment to the Criminal Justice and Public Order Bill in 1994 to lower the age of consent for male homosexual sexual acts to 16.

9. Indeed she was, and it’s a shame she’s still not around to celebrate this milestone with us. I hope the Queen realises how much many of us miss her mother.

10. I have a lot of respect for Ms Currie, based on that episode- she fought for something that was NOT at all popular with her party, and even though she didn’t quite achieve an equal age of consent, she tried her best- and did get it reduced.