Comment: Now is the time to make history and celebrate the arrival of equal marriage by Nick Clegg

1. We should celebrate. But no mention of course on the homophobic BBC news

1. Yes, I noticed that too. Can anyone tell me what will happen to Civil Partnerships once this becomes the law?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Jul 2013, 12:06pm

There’s going to be a review of CPs for straights in the autumn, depending on the outcome of that, nobody really knows at this stage. If there is agreement after consultation that there is demand for them, then they will remain intact. If not, I suspect either of three things may happen. Either leave them as they are for those already in a CP, allow them to upgrade to a full marriage or abolish them entirely.

2. There is a piece on the BBC website – but it takes some finding. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23320624

3. Can Nick Clegg clarify which other minority group’s equal civil rights are a matter of conscience and which should be subject to a free vote?

Or is it only our community’s equality which requires a public consultation and is a matter of conscience?

Can he also confirm that he supports the de-selection of the 4 homophobic extremist Lib Dem MP’s who oppose equal civils, as candidates for the next general election?

Surely he accept that extremists like Sarah Teather have no place in the LibDems but belong instead in the BNP?

The party leaders (especially Cameron) need to be reminded that the neo-fascism of the scum who voted against our rights will be neither forgiven nor forgotten.

It’s payback time for those in marginal seats at the next election.

1. Oh come on Steve! I didn’t agree with Sarah Teathers opposition either, but I think it’s extreme of you to lump her in with the facist BNP, especially in light of some of her more recent comments. Let’s not lose all sense of perspective.

1. Sarah Teather believes that a law-abiding, tax-paying minority group is undeserving ogf equal civil rights solely because they are members of that minority group.

That is no different from the BNP.

She (along with the 128 Tory, 21 Labour MPs who agree with her) are extremist neo-fascist scum,

Sarah Teather belongs in the BNP.

4. off to buy a floppy hat tomorrow in case of any wedding invites :)

THe BBC gives massive coverage to Notting Hill Carnival and yet is coverage of Pride is disgraceful -there hardly any programming for gay people either yet I force to pay the fees each year

5. That’s three “Clegg says” stories on the Pink in one day, and counting!

What is this nauseous obsession with The Pink hanging off every last word of this treacherous, spineless and discredited imbecile?

I for one am mightily fed up – and not a little suspicious – of hearing Cleggie’s every masterfully spun grovelling to all things gay.

So Nick Clegg loves us to the point where he is positively fawning over us in a last ditch bid to claw back a few of the millions of votes he has frittered away from the mass populace?

Does his faux pleasantries toward us detract from any of the major betrayals and spectacular u-turns he has committed while hand in glove with the Tories?

Something must be badly wrong if The Pink cannot find a more worthy – and credible – political bigwig to speak our corner, and it loses more and more credibility with each new “Clegg says” non-story.

1. Oh shut up, you bitter old curmudgeon!

1. I presume to are talking about Nick Clegg?

2. Could not agree more! I loathe this pompous little windbag

3. Metsän poika 16 Jul 2013, 4:15am

Party pooper

4. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Jul 2013, 12:12pm

Imbecile? If it weren’t for Nick Clegg, there would have been NO Marriage Bill. Miliband didn’t get on board for months and his party didn’t even adopt it as party policy unlike the Liberal Democrats. True, it wouldn’t have passed without massive support from Labour, but even Cameron showed some leadership, courage and guts against all odds, thanks to Clegg, like them or not.

1. I happen to think there are far more pressing domestic issues that he had fudged up and u-tracked on.

I do not place my sexuality above the right of everyone to be treated fairly and humanely by their government.

Instead Clegg and Cameron have sought to shaft just about everyone except for their bankster friends, and the chickens are coming home to roost.

If gay marriage is Clegg’s only triumph as part of the coalition, then that says it all really.

Meh!

6. Helge Vladimir Tiller 15 Jul 2013, 8:47pm

Something very negative occured in my life recently- So I felt strong sadness. This event In The House of Lords gave me an uplift ! I cried happy tears for Lovely England and Wales, and strongly feel I will overcome this sad experience ! THANK YOU SO VERY,VERY MUCH- beautiful Sisters and Brothers ! ( We are winners !- ( Norway )

1. St Sebastian 16 Jul 2013, 4:57am

Good to hear this gave you an uplift in spirits Helge. Hopefully the pain will abate and happiness will return permanently. :-))

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 16 Jul 2013, 6:39pm

Yes, St Sebastian. I intend to fight the pain with optimism and activity ! Thank you so much.

7. Nickey-no-mates supports us! That’s nice, Nick, following this one strand of the old Lib-Dem ideaology. Shame you sold your soul on the rest…

8. GulliverUK 16 Jul 2013, 8:16am

This is .. fantastic. I’ll be honest, I feel slightly numb. I want someone to pinch me because it feels unreal. People don’t always do what they are supposed to do, they don’t always make the right decisions even when everybody is screaming at them to do so, and we’ve been thrown so many curve balls on this one, and so many times we’ve been told it’ll be smashed by The Commons, thrown out by The Lords, but we’re here, … and it’s going to take a little while to sink in. We do still have the 3rd reading in The Commons, but that is almost a formality. So fcuk, yeah, fantastic news !!!! :D

9. I think we’d still be waiting if we had a majority Tory government. For all his personal support and generous words, I don’t think David Cameron would have brought this forward and upset the mass ranks of his own MP’s who opposed the Same Sex Marriage Bill. In Coalition, he can blame the Liberal Democrats for insisting on it.

10. Robert Doyle 16 Jul 2013, 9:29am

Fantastic, just simply FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

11. No mention of it here in Aus – typical.

12. Mr. Clegg, if you want to save yourself a lot of work in regards to the struggle for equality. Simply teach it in schools, perhaps make sure broadcasters throw a positive gay role model or two on the telly for the kids. It’s really that easy, couple of decades of that and job done!

13. Whils’t I’ve never been convinced marraige is a wise choice for an individual to make, being given the option means a lot to me. It’s one less way I feel like that kid on the playground who’s not allowed to play, and another way I feel like a “normal” guy who can go through life doing what “normal” guys do without having to have the same conversation over and over again with people who don’t get it… because their schools didn’t get it and their parents didn’t get it etc. etc.

But we get it! And apparently you do too, so thank you again :)

Don’t think you’re off the hook for that whole student thing though, Cleggy. ;)