Pastor criticises George W Bush for not taking moral stance against equal marriage

1. Mark Cross 14 Jul 2013, 2:22pm

So does Pastor Scott Brown think sodomy and oral sex between married opposite sex couples is a sin, too?…Oh, ok, it’s only sinful when same-sex couples do it, got it.

1. They often think so if you press them about it, but on the whole it never occurs to them. A friend of mine once met a group of evangelicals who didn’t know that gays and lesbians felt love and attraction for each other – they just thought we liked to do wicked things below the belt. They aren’t just bigoted. They are very ignorant.

2. I had to laugh at the hypocrisy of these “Christians”. Especially when he said Bush was taking a small verse out of context! In-credible!

3. “The Bible speaks abundantly and clearly on matters of judgment and Mr Bush has taken one single verse out of context and ignored the many other things the Bible says about it.”

Wake up mr pastor brown. That is what you are supposed to do with the bible. Take a single verse out of context and you get to say whatever you like. Just like you do.

Shame though that it is all a pile of horse sh*t.

I work out my morals from my life experience. I think about what is right and what is wrong. I don’t need some dubious old fairy tale book telling me how to think.

If I happen along on someone in distress I don’t have to grab the bible and look up D for distress to find out if I need to be compassionate to them or not.

4. That There Other David 14 Jul 2013, 4:47pm

So, this pastor clearly believes he has the right to judge others and that he must be without sin.

I wonder what the Bible says about people like that…

5. Why isn’t this war criminal rotting in a jail?

6. Tom (Winnipeg) 14 Jul 2013, 8:38pm

Talk about picking bible verses “out of context”, and cherry-picking, which they do all the time. I find it interesting that they jump on others for doing this, when they wish to make a point to their advantage, but always fail to see themselves doing it. What a bunch of ignorant bums; they make such an issue over a book of myths that has no relevance for our age. Back to the deserts all of you who still believe in the “inerrancy” of the bible!

7. Christopher in Canada 14 Jul 2013, 8:55pm

For a man who has been ridiculed in the press for a long time, this is a very wise thing that Mr. Bush has said. |

8. PeterinSydney 14 Jul 2013, 9:02pm

Perhaps the Pastor should use Mr Bush’s comments to examine the log in his eye first. The bigot he is.

9. David in the OC 14 Jul 2013, 9:58pm

What he’s saying is, “Blah, blah, blah, old testament, blah, blah, first prophet, blah, blah, new testament, blah, blah…”

What I’m hearing is, “Yay! I get to use the Bible to be a frothing at the mouth homophobic bigoted douche bag, and I get to blame God for it, instead of taking responsibility for my own actions.”

10. Bill Cameron 15 Jul 2013, 10:16am

GWB is certainly not one of my favourite people, but I thought his reluctance to be drawn on the issue and the way he expressed that reluctance was pretty reasonable.

Perhaps of personal relevance to him is that whatever he may think about same-sex marriage, he has to live with his wife and from what I’ve heard she would take a very dim view of her husband expressing a tub-thumbing attitude on this issue.

11. Colin (London) 15 Jul 2013, 10:34am

Bush should be in jail for what he has done to humanity.

And for the religious nuts well….

12. Jim middle tn 15 Jul 2013, 2:41pm

.. I found it amusing that this guy thinks he is has the right to hold a moral code up for us to follow .. and the part about Bush taking one verse and using it wrong amazed me .. isnt that what most of these assholes do .. concerning homosexuality . while ignoring all the ones that they dont want to follow .. you cant pick and choose

13. Christopher Coleman 15 Jul 2013, 4:08pm

At least these pastors are consistent in not taking biblical verses out of context or, indeed, even in context. That is why they never preach against greed, theft, and other acts that display a lack of care for one’s fellow human beings; they cannot act on single verses. Thus, someone without sin casting first stone can be brought into play ONLY if a real woman is “taken in adultery”. On all other occasions you are free to cast as many stones as you like.

More interesting is GWB’s response. The man is no fool and it is incredible that he spent 8 years as president with the media and the general public laughing at him. He took everyone for a ride and he did it beautifully. I disagree with his politics, but I admire him as a man because he knows he is a cynical swine and enjoys being one. Better by far than all the warm-hearted hypocrites in high political office.

14. Janet Lameck 15 Jul 2013, 4:41pm

Its okay for you religious freaks to rape and molest children, but not for same sex adult to get married?