Dr Jeffrey John: ‘God wants monogamy for gay people as well as straight’

1. The bible, like any other dogmatic instrument, is a mirror that you may hold up to yourself and see you own biases reflected.

Hellfire and damnation and kill the gays? It’s there.

Love and cuddles and fuzzy bunny rabbit hugs for all? That’s there too.

Which is why I can’t take it, or those who try to divine the assumed wishes of a bronze age supernatural entity, at all seriously.

2. Bite me. — Atheist Queer

3. CH Brighton 12 Jul 2013, 6:37pm

As ever, making it up as they go along.

1. And he seems to have forgotten that his god made women especially for men. How does he explain that away? His god certainly never did expect gay males to cohabit. That is if he believes anything in the bible.

His whole religion is based on the bible, how can he possibly rationalise this out this way? It makes no sense at all.

The man must either be deluded or mad. Unless he is speaking about some new religion I have not heard about before? What a tortured life he must lead caught up in a religion teaching him that he should really hate himself.

4. I think God would want gays and straight to have equal choices and that includes being able to get married. He wouldn’t like discrimination or inequality and he would be horrified in the way the churches treat LGBT people.

I don’t think he would would pre-judge people and I don’t think he would insist that we should all get married. I do wish the Church would look at the real world and stop trying to create this perfect sexual world for us which in most cases is one man and one woman producing perfect children. This isn’t the case for us all, straight and gay.

I’m glad Jeffrey John has made this statement but the fight for equal marriage is more that just for the word marriage. I hope society wil move on even further and start looking at us in more equal terms . We can now chose to get married soon. It’s up to us if we want to not God.

5. Keith in SALFORD 12 Jul 2013, 7:02pm

As soon as I hear or read the words, “GOD WANTS….” I run a mile.

Keith.
    SALFORD

6. In general I’m on Dr John’s side, but I do wish he wouldn’t make statements about God’s wishes.

Jehovah, it seems, was more than happy with the polygamy of the Patriarchs of his church, and if He — said to be omnipotent – were that much in favour of monogamy, how is it that for the better part of His purported existence He didn’t make His feelings known? After all, we’re told he would smite those He didn’t approve of – though the last of those was reportedly Onan.

And that’s not even beginning to look at same-sex monogamy (which, let us remind ourselves, means nothing more than married to one person at a time)

7. Oh give it a rest, Dr John, who the hell knows WHAT God wants-if he exists at all?

I cannot stand this illogical s***- nobody knows what god wants.

I bet he’ll get lots of positive comments here. Don’t have any truck with religion: flavour of the month today, hated tomorrow: least you know where you are with the Catholics.

8. I’ve always believed that John’s celibacy within his partnership is neither his desire nor his partner’s, but is done to promote his career.

To each his own in that respect, and I won’t second-guess him. But I regard his adoption of celibacy as less than a useful, truthful response to church bigots, and he can damned well leave me out of his equation.

9. “I think it is instinctively obvious to most people”

At one time it was instinctively obvious to most people that the earth was flat. They were still wrong.

10. Michael Walsh 12 Jul 2013, 7:21pm

Quite a claim he’s making, knowing what God wants. More of a lie, really.

I HATE RELIGIOUS APOLOGISTS.

11. Oh goody, another twerp to tell us what god wants. Does he have a direct line to his imaginary friend ? Also ,its easy to claim to be in a celibate relationship, who’s to know ? I’m sure he probably means well but why does he think his opinion has any value ?

12. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Jul 2013, 7:59pm

Oh Dr. Jon, does he really expect us to believe he’s celibate and in a relationship? If he were single, then perhaps but I just don’t buy it. How many celibate hetero married Anglican clergy are there I wonder?

Claiming to know what god wants is risible and makes such a bloody laughing-stock of himself. I’m almost embarrassed for him.

13. I believe monogamy is everything he suggests but whenever people run sensible ideas through the God filter it always sounds so completely loony. Turns my stomach, actually.

14. Religies need so much therapy. So God talks to him now.

15. How does he know this information? Does he get briefings?

16. god told me that it wants everyone to have sex with as many people as they want to, and that heaven (the afterlife not the london club) was a big orgy that you had to prepare for. He must have been talking to another god.

17. Neon Genesis 12 Jul 2013, 11:28pm

In fairness, Dr. John’s comments aren’t any worse than Dan Savage going around proclaiming that the solution to all marital problems is for everyone to cheat on their spouse.

18. John A. Leopard 13 Jul 2013, 6:04am

Absolutely stupid. Such dishonesty encourages teenage suicide and encourages child molesters.

19. Common sense 13 Jul 2013, 6:30am

Personally I think that most relationships benefit from monogamy so I am pleased that god agrees. But to castigate those who do not have monogamous relationships – some of great stability and many years standing – as immoral seems entirely wrongheaded.

20. Miss Dobson 13 Jul 2013, 7:45am

Regardless of the religious element of this case, it is illegal in this country to discriminate on grounds of sexuality or sexual orientation. It is absolutely right that Dr John has been promoted if he is capable and competent. It does concern me that his relationship is celebate. I hope this is his partner’s and his choice, not anyone else’s, as this would not be expected of a married heterosexual member of the clergy.

21. Colin (London) 13 Jul 2013, 11:00am

I don’t do the god’s stuff. I appreciate the sentiment of Dr John but am not moved at all.

I do not seek to seperate myself into little groups who tell people how they should live.

I seek to embrace the many including their faults and think Science, law, medicine, education, mathematics, understanding, empathy and love is all we need to create a good world.

The quicker we join hands the quicker we will sort this somewhat troubled world out.

22. de Villiers 13 Jul 2013, 11:10am

> I have had absolutely no choice. . . Who in their right mind would stay unless they knew the love of Christ was calling them?”

That is a very true statement. People here often say that one does not choose sexuality but one does choose the religion.

That is a misunderstanding of the meaning of choice.

We do not choose the food that we like. We do not choose the people that we love. We do not even choose our political beliefs – we find them and are driven to them. We accept an argument not because we choose but because we are convinced.

A committed atheist does not choose to be an atheist. They consider that they must be that on the basis of the arguments and the evidence before them. A person such as Dr Jeffrey John, in this way states that people do not choose a belief in divinity. They are called to it by art, philosophy, poetry and learning.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 13 Jul 2013, 12:32pm

We do not choose the food we like? I make such a choice every day when I go food shopping, deciding what I want to eat. I don’t buy food that I don’t like so therefore it’s a choice. I chose not to believe in God at the age of 16 because I found it harder to justify such a thing as my brain evolved. It just didn’t make sense to me and seemed absurd and wasn’t based on arguments or evidence or anyone else influencing me. I chose to call myself an atheist.

2. I see you are questioning your faith, as Jeffrey John is – which is an ongoing battle for everyone with faith in an irrational ideology that has no physical proof. But choice is the beauty of faith in its deepest sense, you choose to believe, with no argument, or because you are convinced by someone, in something that has no rational explanation.

People here often say that one does not choose sexuality, because there is a belief that it will be proven to be genetic, as gender, skin colour etc. are. Wherever we were born, we would still have that gender, skin colour and sexuality. But we would not have the same beliefs, because beliefs are human social inventions. So the belief choices would be different in that place. They are not innate, they are learnt. You choose to have faith. Perhaps you should have faith in that choice.

3. de Villiers 13 Jul 2013, 7:11pm

I agree with neither of the posts.

Robert – you choose what to buy but not what you like. If you do not like tomatoes, you do not choose not to like them but you can choose not to buy them. You are an atheist because you found religion and the arguments to be “absurd”. You rejected something because you thought to do so was correct – not because you willed your choice into being.

I do not question my faith, Mark, in the way that you describe. There is no scientific proof for god or religion and it is hopeless to try to find it. Religion and god is found in artistic proofs which have driven me to belief in god. It would be easier to choose not to believe – but I am driven to believe.

1. You can justify your sad superstition FOOL all you want – but Like all others who hide behind an outdated ‘Faith’ you are proven to be a sad liar everytime you make out this Deity even exists! – BTW about the clouds where you idiots pretend God and your angels ‘dwell’ is just atmosphere – read a science book and liberate your stupidity.

And bare in mind you respond will (I predict) will rely on more make believe and fiction to justify your delusion -

23. Does ‘he’ really – He called you? er Emailed you his NeW wishes – Shut up you lying, unevolved parasite.

1. de Villiers 13 Jul 2013, 7:14pm

A mark of evolution and civilisation is to behave with manners and courtesy rather than to call people unevolved parasites.

Look – I can call you an unevolved parasite! How easy it is.

1. You pathetic sad fool -

24. Robert in S. Kensington 13 Jul 2013, 12:37pm

So if his God is ‘calling’ him and wouldn’t know what a telephone is or more primitively a carrier pigeon, are we to deduce that it happens via telepathy, telekinesis, Ouija boards or even an occasional séance?

25. Notice how those who “know” what god wants is always in line with their own wishes; whether it is Dr John or the rabid, anti-equal marriage religious bigots.

26. Beelzeebub 13 Jul 2013, 5:15pm

Dear GAY Bish.

You are merely tolerated in that cult.

Your god is made up.

Wake up and smell reality you cloistered fool.

Get it.

Nobody is interested in your stupid cult.

It will be dead in 1 generation.

Enough of your sick drivel.

1. de Villiers 13 Jul 2013, 7:14pm

Funny that – that is how people speak about gay people.

Clearly – you do not want equal rights and equal speech for all – just yourself.

1. You really are a vile bitter fool – take a pill or better still F U C K O F F

27. gentlemind 13 Jul 2013, 8:55pm

“is in (a) celibate civil partnership”? Er, no, he is not.

A “celibate relationship” is a contradiction in terms. Celibacy is an element that exists at the level of the individual. It is what an individual does outside of marriage. It is impossible to have a “celibate marriage”, since marriage is specifically sexual. It is also impossible to have a “celibate friendship”, since in a friendship there is no sex to not have haha

There can be no such thing as a “celibate relationship”. Individuals are celibate – not relationships.

28. ‘I know an all-powerful but invisible spirit who thinks and wants just what I do.’
    Cuckoo. Gibber. You’re a nice guy, Jeffrey, but keep this stuff for inside the madhouse. It really is cringe-making for the rest of us.