Comment: Are religious conservatives able to talk cordially about gay issues?

1. Religious belief is a mental illness.

It is perfectly cordial to state this fact.

There is no ‘god’.

1. The usual rag-bag of rubbish, Keith, from infamously equating abusing children with consenting sexual behaviour between adults to lying about gay men’s beliefs and behaviour. I don’t happen to believe religious belief is in itself a mental illness; but it clearly is in your case. You are an obnoxious lunatic.

2. What were you put on the planet for, Keith? (Incidentally, the rest of us were born, but perhaps you were placed here – quite clumsily, it would seem – by the supernatural beings you believe in.) To witter on at length about your unique interpretation of random ancient writings to people who don’t give a toss?

Please don’t talk about science, since you obviously cannot believe in any aspect of it.

It’s interesting that you appear to know what “most paedo’s” [sic] do.

3. Helge Vladimir Tiller 12 Jul 2013, 7:21pm

Keith, there is absolutely no scientific evidence for the nonsense you write. Absolutely none. What is your agenda ?

1. caspartehgood 12 Jul 2013, 11:44pm

To sell high blood pressure medication? :-) Other than that he is neither use or ornament as far as I can see

1. JackAlison 13 Jul 2013, 2:22pm

lol
          poor Keith is sucha Loser…
          I almost feel sorry 4 him
          but I gotta give him 10 outta 10 for persistant bigotry if there is such a grade

4. It is a shame Keith that you persevere in the belief that you were put her for any reason at all. It does indicate that you think you are something special because by your own description someone would have had to bother to put you here in the first place.

In fact you are just an accident of evolution and the only reason you are here is because one billion creatures before you all managed to copulate or divide successfully. What a shame that 4 billion years of life on earth only went by with faultless pairing to produce such a waste of space as you.

I know I am an accident of evolution and that makes the world a more wondrous fascinating place to me and makes me very happy. We are only here for a short time. What a shame to spend what little time you have spreading hate and ignorance. You truly have wasted a precious life.

2. You don’t get to deny other people their rights and be ‘nice’ about it.

“I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means – except by getting off his back.”
    - Leo Tolstoy

1. You can be nice about it. But it is entirely irrelevant.

2. Amen!

It doesn’t matter how “nice” they are – they’re still bigots denying our humanity. Apologetics for the homophobes don’t change that

3. Beelzeebub 12 Jul 2013, 4:07pm

Nope.

4. “If you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas.”

5. Religious faith is indeed a mental illness, and Keith has a virulent form of this illness. He can be cured, but he may.
    have to spent some time in a psychiatric unit. But, never fear, Keith, there is hope for you even with your severe form of religious mania.

6. No

7. Colin Andrew 1966 12 Jul 2013, 5:28pm

Many religious fundamentalists believe in creationism and think the Earth is only 6,000 years old-how can you possibly have a sensible discussion with people like that? To spell “fundamentalist” you also have to spell “mentalist”.

8. Helge Vladimir Tiller 12 Jul 2013, 6:05pm

i have heard that before, actually also 50 years ago ! All the priests in The City Mission here in Oslo, close to where I live, embrace gays and lesbians and their active !! love life. SEX included. Respect and honesty are core values,they say-and nobody should feel inferior to someone else. I’m not a Christian myself- but I’m being fully respected by these priests. They include active sexuality as a necessary and rich part of normal life. They are really lovely People.

9. Good grief, no. Not in the slightest. And I will be over here laughing at this risible act of apologism.

Thing is, it’s not just their beliefs, even if they take no proactive stance (from donating money to anti-LGBT organisations like NOM to lobbying politicians) it is their part in the shaping of the zeitgeist.

When it comes to a nurtured culture of bigotry, homophobic, hatred, violence, job loss, parental abandonment etc, they are part of the problem.

10. I will point out two further glaring oversights here:

1) The “mega churches” are a huge moneymaking machine in the US.

How are “mega” churches not manifestly in contravention to everything the bible is supposed to teach? Praying in private, for example, the surrendering of wealth in service of the poor and all the other “jesus” things that these churches of naked Capitalism take (unwitting?) broadsides at.

I find them hilarious.

2) That the religious “conservative” right has been heavily politicised since the GOP got in bed with evangelicals around the time of Nixon. And that their actions, with regards to LGBT people (or, say, women’s rights) are done for the sake of political expedience and rabble rousing.

Political conservative and religious conservatism have been in bed for years – The trifecta of Guns, gays and abortions so people will vote against interest. With churches like this leading the fight. It is disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

Nonsense article

11. So these two pastors had a nice civil chat. How …er, nice. What was the outcome? Anything? Or did both sides go away with their firmly-held beliefs intact?

1. They might as well have sat around and had a chat about the proper care and handling of dragons, it would have been just as meaningless.

1. I think dragon doctors would take great offence at comments such as those.

1. Not to mention the poor dragons themselves!

12. I honestly don’t care if they can talk cordially or not

If someone says I am not due human rights, that I should be treated as a lesser person, that I’m inherently sinful, going to hell, diseased, need to change etc – then I don’t give a damn how POLITELY they word their bigotry, they’re still bigots

Honestly, if someone is a racist, it doesn’t matter if they’re being “NICE” about it. If someone is a misogynist, then the fact they’re very polite in treating women like crap doesn’t change that. And the same applies to homophobia!

Stop the damn apologetics. A smiling bigot is still a bigot. A polite bigot is still a bigot. Someone who says “sorry” while taking away my rights is still taking away my rights

13. And whatever you ‘pastors’ say I’m not getting off the bus nor am I moving to the back.
    You are a bunch if crazies who for too long have been allowed to feel special. Sorry your as pointless as a worn down marking pencil and nowhere near as important as you think you are.
    Virgin men in frocks telling cyber kids how to lead their lives – whatever

14. Shouldn’t that headline read “intelligently,” sensibly” or “coherently”? And the answer is No.

15. JackAlison 13 Jul 2013, 2:17pm

Its certainly warm n fuzzy feel good stuff. And I would applaud your efforts no matter how repugnant I find these people you engage with …more credit to you.However. the battle against gay ppl. is slowing being lost in the west. Therefore these conservative ministries have made great inroads into Africa and exported a great deal of what we would no longer tolerate.

They bring with them the most virilent and nasty life threatening reprisals for defenceless GLBTI people in Africa and prey upon outdated stereotypes to win over the masses.