Duke of York suffers Twitter taunts for ‘having had 10,000 men’

1. …and the tiniest fiddle in all the world plays a sad, sad lament…

Does anyone suppose he reads or cares about “his” twitter account?

1. I care … but only because I’m paying for the workshy loon.

1. How much of your 60p a year do you think goes to him?

2. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Jul 2013, 2:58pm

I know I’m expecting the impossible, but wouldn’t it be glorious if he tweeted support for Equal Marriage? Perhaps Prince Harry will break with protocol and do just that assuming he opens an Twitter account.

3. Pavlos Prince of Greece 10 Jul 2013, 3:00pm

Who are they lucky 10.000 ? I wish, I will be one of them. Yes, Prince Andrew still is most handsome men – and not only in the British royal family, but in all European aristocracy in general.

1. Pavlos, your discernment is clearly overwhelmed by your worship of royalty!

2. Don’t get out much then do you?

4. Mike Smith 10 Jul 2013, 3:08pm

Some people need their heads read. Even Royalty deserves to be respected, and homophobia is homophobia regardless of who it’s directed at. Some people have a very warped idea of humour – well more fool them. Personally, if I were the Duke, I’d sue for defamation of character.

1. On what basis?

1. Mike Smith 10 Jul 2013, 4:33pm

The remarks were homophobic – don’t you care about people slagging us off, because they can get away with it?

1. For a start, they are ‘slagging off’ someone who is little more than a buffoon and an embarrassing drain on the public purse.

No one takes him seriously, and it isn’t slagging off the GLBTQI community in the least.

He is one of the least likeable of a not very likeable family!

2. He would make a complete ass (not arse) of himself if he were to sue on the basis of a line quoted from a nursery rhyme, especially given his generally rather louche character.

Besides, I’d guess most men would be more insulted if the number were exaggeratedly low, rather than high.

2. Respect an institution that grants privilege through birth?

That deserves mocking, not respect.

1. How anyone can expect me to respect the royal family just for being royal is beyond me. It might be my age (22) but I’ve always regarded the Royal Family as just… meh

5. Lion in Winter 10 Jul 2013, 3:31pm

Well, neither I nor any of my many friends have been with him, nor has anyone that they know… so, who can step forward with some irrefutable descriptive evidence? A mole, or a birthmark, or anything of the like?

1. Dan Filson 10 Jul 2013, 4:28pm

Many of them must have had sore feet. He marched them up to the top of the hill and he marched them down again.
      It’s not quite clear what he got them to do. When they were up, they were up, when they were down, they were down.

6. Minor detail Pink News – Jeffrey Epstein is a convicted hebephile (someone who is attracted to and/or has sexually abused pubescent children, usually considered to be the 11-14 age range), not a convicted paedophile (someone who is attracted to and/or has sexually abused pre-pubescent children, usually considered to be those 10 or younger). Not that that makes it at all right that he was convicted of abusing 12-14 year olds of course, but “paedophile” is the wrong word and that’s probably something to be especially cautious of in journalism.

1. I think “convicted hebephile” is also incorrect. Paedophilia and hebephilia describe sexual preference and say nothing about any criminal activity. Plenty of people suffer from the condition without offending. The term “convicted child molester” is more appropriate. And this is not a minor detail.

1. Very possibly, yes. I’ve never been able to find out clearly if such words only applied to those who acted upon their attractions or not, I just know there’s a clear difference in definition based on the age of the children. “Convicted hebephile” would also be problematic in that not many people are aware of the word, so something like “convicted child molester” would be more appropriate for that reason too.

1. Agreed. Though for me the most important reason is definitely the necessity of differentiating a psychosexual condition from criminal behaviour. People will not seek help if doing so risks labelling themselves as criminals. Journalistic shorthand, widespread though it is in this instance, is no excuse for driving a serious problem underground and thereby making it harder for professional helpers to handle.

2. Quite a useful discussion on the issues you refer to here:

7. Whether you’re pro-royal or not, this kind of ‘humour’ is basically abuse and bullying.

It’s not big and it’s not clever, and the trolls responsible should grow up.

8. Oh for goodness sake…people are just confusing him with Viscount Linley, LOL

9. Does this leech Prince Andrew actually work for a living?

How much taxpayers money is wasted on that worksjy layabout?

10. I actually thought the 10,000 men remark was pretty funny. Maybe I have a warped sense of humour.

1. I thought it was pretty funny as well…so I am going to go out on a limb and say you have a very good sense of humour.

1. Colin (London) 10 Jul 2013, 7:58pm

I laughed to…Look he is useless, adds nothing to the world, we pay for him.

11. Beelzeebub 10 Jul 2013, 9:17pm

Dear PN. A bit off topic, and clearly bills have to be paid.

But would you please stop loading every page up withe adobe flash adverts.

Every time it crashes my browser whether Firefox, IE or Chrome no matter which device I use .
    Use HTML 5 or silverlight. FFS.

Even Adobe are stopping supporting it.

1. Just use ad block or do something similar. I can’t feel sorry for their loss in ad revenue. If they don’t care about their users, their users shouldn’t feel obliged care about them.

I’ve downloaded mercury on my ipad so I can block PN adds because they’re so intrusive.

Also Silverlight is terrible.

1. This has to be the ugliest site I’ve seen. No regard for user readability. But then, they have no regard for truthful or accurate reporting either.

I really only read it because I learn some interesting things in the comments.

12. Spanner1960 12 Jul 2013, 12:15pm

I remember the rhyme that went about years ago:

The Grand old Duke of York,
    He had ten thousand men,
    He said “So what? It’s legal now”,
    And he had them once again.

1. Colin (London) 12 Jul 2013, 1:15pm

he he he he ….lol

13. I always remember the Julian Clary joke: “Oh, the grand old Duke of York he had 10,000 men… erm, wasn’t that the Duchess?”:)

14. .....Paddyswurds 15 Jul 2013, 6:00pm

Isn’t it time this bullshyte was consigned to the dustbin. 31 comments is hardly a reason to keep it hanging around like a bad smell in a lift.