Alec Baldwin quits Twitter following accusations of homophobia in spat with journalist

1. GulliverUK 9 Jul 2013, 5:52pm

a) he’ll be back within a month
    b) you never need to apologise to tabloid reporters
    c) watch your language next time
    d) glad you support equal marriage
    d) like your films, sorry your brother is a bit of a tit
    e) don’t bother with anger management but before posting something, especially when you’re angry, and think about how it might be interpreted
    f) enjoy the break

ps. if he was truly homophobic he would have been a long-time supporter of marriage equality. Let’s concentrate on the “real” fcukwits in the world, the people who really hate us, and really mean it.

1. GulliverUK 9 Jul 2013, 5:52pm

Yes, I know, there are two (d) ‘s Oops.

1. Colin (London) 9 Jul 2013, 6:20pm

Well put.

2. I didn’t pick up the two (d)’s but this instead:

“if he was truly homophobic he would have been a long-time supporter of marriage equality.”

maybe you should have said:

“if he truly wasn’t homophobic he would NOT have resorted to homophobic language”

I have to agree with Valksy and I wish you would stop trying to flog a dead horse.

1. Oh and by the way I didn’t give you a thumbs down, I am not a religious nutter and I think I have made it quite clear why I don’t agree you…Have a good one Gulliver.

1. GulliverUK 9 Jul 2013, 6:45pm

Appreciated. To clarify I’m not against religions or religious people – most Christians in the UK and US support equality, and it has the “potential” to do good, but we always get constantly singled out as “sinners” by leaders and religious zealots, and that is both unfair, untrue, based on an ideology which most people don’t accept, and causes great harm to us mentally and physically (you can’t divorce the two). The “religious nutters” on here are people like Keith, and yes, people who belligerently oppose equality based on 3000-year old ideology.

In terms of bullying, this sort of behavior by “some” (small number of) Christians is known as “mobbing” and it’s the most dangerous form of bullying. These are the people we need to worry about, not Alec Baldwin.

2. GulliverUK 9 Jul 2013, 6:49pm

ps. I often give thumbs up if someone has bothered to post, even if I don’t agree 100% with them. I only give negs to people who are genuinely homophobic.

I’ve tried to engage Keith but he doesn’t want to know, I’ve tried being polite, but he doesn’t want to know. This is Keith the religious nutter, not another user, also called Keith, who is not.

2. Just another celebrity attention-seeking twitter flounce perhaps?

I’m sorry, but it’s perfectly possible to be furious with someone, and express that on twitter, without using the kind of hate speech that he did. That he seeks to excuse it with would-be victimhood is an absurdity.

Those who fall back on anti-LGBT slurs, or racism, anti-semitism, misogyny etc when under any kind of scrutiny/stress (OK, stress on twitter is a joke, but bear with me) are experiencing a modern variation on “in vino veritas”? That, once their guard is down, their true self shows, and it’s occasionally deeply unpleasant.

1. GulliverUK 9 Jul 2013, 6:01pm

I admit I sometimes am very cross with some people and I occasionally post using language which is more intolerant and sometimes derogatory and even hateful, which is not who I am. It’s either post that, or I will end up punching my laptop ! :)

I’m completely against violent but sometimes I feel like punching something :( Life is good for us here, compared to many other places, but it’s still not what it should be. We end up spending all our time fighting homophobes – what sort of existence is that? I admire gay people who don’t give a sh1t about homophobes and just get on with loving people, their relationships, creating a family, etc. May be in a year or two, when we have equal marriage, we’ll all be able to get on with our “real” lives.

1. This is real life. Alec Baldwin is just another chavvy American pretending to be part of the Zeitgeist, so his is the kind of support we really don’t need. I don’t suggest fighting him. I suggest permanently ignoring him.

You getting angry with me and calling me, for instance, a silly old queen, is very different to an arrogant self-delusionally-superior heterosexual doing it. I hope you can see why.

1. GulliverUK 9 Jul 2013, 6:55pm

It’s a fair point. I don’t know what he’s really like, I only see that he is and has been for a long time, a supporter of equality for us. But I know what you mean, there are some people who are Tory ministers who support marriage equality, and yet, I don’t accept anything else about them, and I’m suspicious of their motives, especially given their past. As an example, one man who supports marriage equality has previously been tape recorded as saying people should be able to turn away people who are gay from B&Bs. Another supporter, a minister, has some very homophobic friends, one he appointed as a SPAD when she failed to get elected as an MP.

The price of supporting some people is too high, but I still think I’ll give Alec Baldwin the benefit of the doubt – that’s just who I am.

3. The rainbow gestapo really get in a tizzy over silly little things and poof ! (oops, sorry is that now deemed ‘homophobic’?) – intimidation and pressure is placed on the media .Seems the homosexual brigade can be as obscene and bitchy as they like because they are deemed ‘victims’ by the liberal elite.So much for equality ….

1. GulliverUK 9 Jul 2013, 11:01pm

Is this how you live your life, hating other people? How sad. It must eat you up inside that only a tiny few buy in to your twisted ideas and arguments. I expect when you’re not on here you’r harassing Muslems and non-whites on other forums, but I doubt you have the balls to go up against the majority and try to impose your ideas about no sex before marriage, on abortion, on cohabitation, on divorce.

You pick on easy targets because you’re a bully, and like all bully’s you are weak, impotent and frightened. Does it make you feel big or clever coming on here making snide comments? Do you think it advances your cause? Your posts are proof that you deliberately and consistently harass people who are gay.

1. Because he probably is, Gulliver. Although this is another one I wouldn’t want to claim.

2. Thank you Ray for taking the trouble to come on here as show us all how much we are getting under your skin, it really means a lot to us.

I can see it really upsets you knowing each day that goes by we are winning more rights and freedoms and we are getting happier and more content.

I pitty you Ray, but take comfort in the fact, carrying all that hate and anger around will shorten your life.

4. So, can we assume that normally non-racist people might use racial slurs when they’re arguing with someone?

That’s odd. I’m not a racist and I’m obviously not a homophobe, and yet I never attack people based on their race, sexuality, gender etc…

How come the vast majority of liberal and free thinking people can have arguments without making such personal insults, and when someone like him does it’s dismissed because he’s supported other publicly sensitive (fan swaying) stances?

I don’t care what he’s supported before. He made some pretty harsh and violent remarks that can clearly be viewed as being homophobic and threatening. No excuses, he’s a gown man, not a child who doesn’t understand the words he’s using.

People should stop apologizing for bigots they think are cute or who fall on the left side of politics. There are plenty of ignorant fools out there on all sides of politics, and he is obviously one of them.