US: Campaigners call to boycott upcoming film ‘Ender’s Game’ over anti-gay controversy

1. While I understand the point the campaigners are making, and agree – Orson Scott Card is a bigot, would-be WBC light without the excuse of being a grifting pack of wingnuts – the campaigners should not hold their breath.

Simple truth – NOT going to see a movie will be the easiest bit of activism that a person could ever do. It costs no money, takes no effort, requires no time. But a lot would sooner put their personal desires ahead of any principle.

LGBT people who want to see the film will just go, a lot won’t even bother educating themselves, and it will be left to the minority activism groups to take stands that others reap the benefit of (and telling people who control entertainment franchises that it is NOT OK to call us dysfunctional is beneficial).

Our future representation in media is dependent on the collective strength of LGBT people, friends, families, allies.

2. I have waited years for this film to be made. But I will not give a penny of my money to feed this mans bigotry.

3. Midnighter 8 Jul 2013, 1:28pm

I was very surprised to learn about his homophobia having read many of his books and found a considerably higher than usual incidence of naked boys featuring in the story lines, which was not something I’d encountered in any prior or contemporary fantasy and sci fi.

I have to conclude he is feeding some inner fantasies by writing about such titillating scenarios and in my view is highly likely to be revealed as a self hating closet case.

1. Midnighter 8 Jul 2013, 1:31pm

To be clear I fully endorse the aims of this campaign will continue to avoid any works he is involved with including the films.

1. Sorry actually thumbs up. Bloody iPad , please pink move the report button away from thumbs up.

4. Yes, I really enjoyed the Ender trilogy, and was really disappointed to hear of his ant-gay views. I shan’t be seeing it.

5. Julian Morrison 8 Jul 2013, 2:14pm

Piracy is the answer. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

6. Given standard Hollywood accounting practices, is Card likely to see a penny from this anyway?

7. Card suffered a mild stroke in 2011 – is that his god trying to silence his hatred of others – after all his messiah preached kindness and tolerance – And is as real as his fictional characters – what an un-evolved dick!

8. Colin (London) 8 Jul 2013, 6:36pm

Love this Geeks Out. Way to go. Some good comments on this.

9. What’s more worrying is the big studios supporting the homophobic writer in the first place.

Imagine a known anti-semite, racist’s work being given a green light to production at the kind of budget this film had. It wouldn’t happen.

10. Will the LGBT community be boycotting any future (or past) films including Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield, Abigail Breslin, and Gavin Hood?

Yeah, didn’t think so. Bunch of hypocrites.

Also, I can assure you that this is going to backfire. Remember Chic-Fil-A? I’m already seeing TONS of pro traditional marriage blogs and forums organizing their own response to this.

You can bet your life I’ll be getting everyone I know to come out to see Ender’s Game as many times as possible!

The gay community is upheld purely by rule-from-the-bench judges, it’s always entertaining to see how shocked they are when the vast majority of America show up in droves to fight their way of life.

11. Although what this man said is absolutely and undoubtedly disgusting, isn’t to ostracize this man just as arrogant as the views this man has?
    Just because he’s homophobic doesn’t have any affect on the level or quality of the director he could potentially be. If he kept his homophobia quiet, everyone would probably go see this movie, yet that doesn’t change the fact that he’s homophobic.
    I’m not condoning what he is saying, but then I am not condoning what we are doing. Let him be homophobic and enjoy the film for what it is. It doesn’t affect who we are ourselves. I’m still proud of who I am and going to see this film isn’t going to make me hate myself.

12. James Savik 9 Jul 2013, 5:04am

we’ll treat it like chick-fillet: we’ll go through the drive through so they won’t see us.

13. Gene in L.A. 10 Jul 2013, 12:53am

Card has already received his fee for the movie rights. Boycotting the film will not harm him in any way. Further, the novel has nothing to do with his politics and the movie is one further step removed. As a gay man and a lifelong equal rights activist I will still go to see the movie.

1. agentprovokatur 10 Jul 2013, 1:18am

You need to inform yourself more thoroughly about this man. He is a homophobe who has used his time and money to personally crusade to stomp on the civil rights of LGBT citizens. He deserves none of your money and your willingness to do so speaks volumes about you and the homophobes who have come here to champion his views with their claims they will encourage others to see it in his support.

And boycotting it WILL prevent him from future rewards as no studio will again be further involved with his toxicity.

So, good for you, go get right back on that bus, just make sure you settle in there in the back where you belong. . . along with all the other “house _____’s”

14. Dontsellout 10 Jul 2013, 1:25am

To the purported LGBT apologists arguing against boycotting this either because it’s not enough financial benefit to him personally or in one case he has already been paid don’t be so shortsighted. This is about the future as well. Putting those of his ilk and those (the studios who do business with them) on notice that there will be financial repercussions to their hateful “activism”. He’ll personally be branded toxic and no future dealings, studio execs who greenlighted this will suffer when their baby is still born and if they still have a job will think again before dealing with these folks. Your “piss in the wind” little protest WILL BE the butterfly effect wings beating that eventually triggers the hurricane. Have some faith.