US: Offense over Pride banner could result in Louisiana city limit on types of flags flown

1. I know it’s an article about the US, but over here, where this site is situated, we don’t have the word “offense”.

1. Lol he’s ok with a Mardi Gras flag, lol that’s not a government flag. Tell this old, grumpy, bastard to find a more positive thing to do with his free time!

2. dude:

Origin of OFFENSE
      Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin offensa, from feminine of offensus, past participle of offendere
      First Known Use: 14th century

get over yourself.

1. Beelzeebub 7 Jul 2013, 3:20pm

This is a discussion forum. NOT an English lesson.

1. really? tell that to G* then.
          he/she is the one who started the “English lesson”.

and then Brits wonder why everyone around thinks they’re insufferable.

1. Spanner1960 7 Jul 2013, 11:25pm

This is a UK website, so we use British English.
            The muppets that run it though obviously cut and paste wholesale and fail to notice such differences.

I suggest if you find us so insufferable, you should sod off and read your own countries web pages instead.

2. Metsän poika 8 Jul 2013, 2:08am

Personally, I find the Yanks insufferable – I much prefer the Brits. BTW, I’m neither a Brit nor a Yank.

3. Christopher in Canada 8 Jul 2013, 10:10pm

No, but you have “orientated” which is not a word. “Oriented” is… but gorgeous gymnasts can say whatever they want, in my book! Lots of American spelling differs from Brit – perhaps they took this “republic” thing a little too far…

Centre, center, neighbour, neighbor, labour, labor, colour, color…

2. “Offense” isn’t even the worst typo in the story.

3. Beelzeebub 7 Jul 2013, 10:03am

So this “trained killer” who no doubt fought along side gay soldiers is offended by a f\/cking flag.

I take offense to your killing and your scant disregard for those gay soldiers you fought alongside.

Pr!ck.

1. “Ray Green, the Korean War veteran who made the complaint, said: ”I did not go overseas and fight for our country so that we could come back and be subject to something like that.”

I thought he went to war do defend freedom? Unless he would like to tell us differently. If he was fighting totalitarianism he was fighting people like himself who want to decide what other people can do and stop them doing it.

Maybe he didn’t realise the people he was fighting just wanted the same as him, or he could have changed sides. After all I am sure Kim Jong Un is right with him on this one.

2. de Villiers 7 Jul 2013, 4:31pm

Take offence at the statement of the flag but not the fact that this was a soldier who was prepared to fight in the cause of their country.

I am not a big supporter of the military for the sake of the military but to describe a soldier in the service of his country as a quoted “trained killer” is unfair to all the other soldiers in the UK (and France) who serve their population, the UE and the OTAN.

1. Beelzeebub 8 Jul 2013, 9:24am

Are you trying to tell me that soldiers are NOT trained to kill.

Pull the other one.

4. Hawkeye Pearce 7 Jul 2013, 10:07am

This veteran is also the kind of bigot who would have been appalled at the advances made by the Civil Rights movement while he was away fighting to uphold his unenlightened values.

5. Well, i dont know what the veterans personal motives were for going abroad and killing people, but what he actually did it for was to uphold freedoms and defend his country, including Gay people in it, whether he realises it or not.

1. Mihangel apYrs 7 Jul 2013, 10:37am

I think you need to review why the USA was in Korea.

Defending the USA was not it

6. I think the worst offence here is a politician’s proposing a piece of legislation based on this piece of petty bigotry.

7. Why is it that in the States if you’re a war veteran then your opinion is respected so much more than ordinary people?

It seems that whenever a veteran makes a bad argument they can play the ”Im a war veteran I fought for my country and therefore my opinion rules supreme” card and that ends the entire discussion. Maddening

1. Exactly my thoughts.

2. Midnighter 7 Jul 2013, 11:13am

..unless you are a veteran appearing on Fox to promote a non-rabid viewpoint.

There is always a huge degree of cherry picking by bigots; they only consider things that support their own views and as this interview shows, are unwilling and incapable of genuine discussion and understanding of anything that threatens their position.

3. MJA 94114 7 Jul 2013, 5:05pm

It isn’t any more respected. Just another politician afraid to offend one of her “squeaky wheel” constituents.

8. “offended by a flag”
    lol

9. Ban every flag displaying one or more colours of the rainbow then. That should cover everything.

10. <>

If that’s what you thought you were fighting to prevent, then you either served the wrong country, or were serving the country for the wrong reasons. Equal protection and social justice are inalienable, and must be upheld.

Besides, isn’t Louisiana’s Mardi Gras basically a straight pride parade?

1. Whoops, I used < and and > to quote one of the paragraphs of the article. The citation disappeared when I tried to post it. I’ll try again with different syntax.

[Ray Green, the Korean War veteran who made the complaint, said: ”I did not go overseas and fight for our country so that we could come back and be subject to something like that.”]

11. PLS, SIGN TO SUPPORT EQUAL MARRIAGE IN ROMANIA
    Help: prenume=first name; nume=family name; oras=city; tara=country.
    You’ll receive a mail and have to click on 2nd link to confirm.

1. A laudable goal, but entirely off-topic in this article.

12. Colin (London) 7 Jul 2013, 12:04pm

Simple stop going war mongering all over the planet.

Being a war veteran does not give anyone any other rights over other citizens.

We all share the planet gay and straight…..Bigot come to mind both Green and Naqin.

I assume the council are sensible and will chuck this out. Most Americans are good people at heart.

13. I can also object to the Mardi gras flag being flown because it represents a religious symbol of “Mardi gras is French for Fat Tuesday, referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which begins on Ash Wednesday.” That a religion gets to fly a flag on government property is reprehensible to me because that religion hates homosexuals.

1. de Villiers 7 Jul 2013, 4:32pm

I have not yet understood why some gay pride celebrations take the name of the Mardi Gras.

1. It’s the main dressing-up day of Carnival, isn’t it? I think it was taken up by Sydney as a sort of gay version of the parade in New Orleans.

14. So it’s OK to fly a Mardi Gras flag on government property? A festival that is based on Christianity, saying that as a country we’re NOT actually separate from church and state. Then we could go into all the illegal activities that go on during the festival. It shows that as a society we are OK to let women become nothing more than an image of sex for some stupid beads and use it for our entertainment. But for one freaking day or one freaking week or one freaking month the LGBT community cannot have their flag shown off and show their pride in who they are because it might offend someone? Thousands of LGBT soldiers fought and died right along side this bigot and he probably didn’t even know it. In this country, in this age we should be allowed to be who we are and not have to hide it from people for fear that we will be called a hurtful name or physical harm. It’s 2013, we should be focusing on bigger issues and not giving our people the same rights everyone else has had years.

15. With all the illegal and sinfulness cramp that happens during Mardis Gras he’s ok with that flag!! He’s a f’ing idiot. I was born and raised in New Orleans and have attended the event almost every year of my life even after moving out of state.

16. Jen Marcus 7 Jul 2013, 2:04pm

In the states this could be a form of free speech protected by the First Amendment of the US, and ,as such, any ordinance restricting the flying of that flag may be ruled as unconstitutional. This sounds like something the ACLU would be involved in!

17. Helge Vladimir Tiller 7 Jul 2013, 2:17pm

NO ONE or ANYONE can deprive US of Our Pride ! Never ! Flag or not.

18. Vatican Lokey 7 Jul 2013, 2:41pm

Living in nearby New Orleans, I can tell you that this attitude towards all LGBT issues, and opportunistic lawmakers are happy to jump on the bandwagon. It makes for easy votes. What is most distressing is that Mr. Green doesn’t believe that LGBT folks also fought for our country’s freedom under much more difficult circumstances.
    Oh, and the Mardi Gras flags? That’s common here. Carnival is a major part of our culture. Its far more than booze, boobs, and beads.

1. Vatican Lokey 7 Jul 2013, 2:43pm

I must correct my typo. I meant to say that this attitude towards LGBT issues is common.

19. St Sebastian 7 Jul 2013, 3:02pm

When anyone goes to fight for their country, it is an altruistic act – NOT so that they can later hold the country to some kind of moral ransom whereby they feel they have the right to object to expressions that don’t accord with their narrow sensibility. If anything, they fought so that people could express themselves freely, not some kind of 1984 Orwellian nightmare.

This is not however a disrespect their sacrifice.

20. If he didn’t fight for liberty, freedom and equality then he was fighting for the wrong things!

21. Beelzeebub 7 Jul 2013, 3:31pm

Yehhh.

It might just protect them from them dirty gays.

You know the ones.

Those firefighters, those Doctors, Nurses, Lawyers, Shop workers, IT Consultants, Chiropodists, Actors, Movie Directors, Company Directors, Politicians.etc etc.

PS Mr. Soldier. Your job is to do the job that ALL taxpayers pay you to do.

Kill people. Defend the country.
    Kill people.

So shut the F up with your ignorant definition of WHOM you are paid by the taxpayer to protect.

You protect ALL or are should not be allowed by society to protect any.

Clearly a gun in your hand would be dangerous.

Back to burger flipping for you.

1. GingerlyColors 7 Jul 2013, 10:36pm

Why is it still seems to be more acceptable to many people to see men holding guns than holding hands?

1. Metsän poika 8 Jul 2013, 2:05am

Fantastic observation, I like your style.

22. Jock S. Trap 7 Jul 2013, 3:47pm

People in Louisiana, I’m guessing, vote equally….. Pay taxes equally. So if one person complains in a democracy they already take of limiting?

Doesn’t make sense to me. Democracy doesn’t please all, it can’t but how can one persons complaint sudden make it into a dictatorship?

Fact is the idiot may say he ‘didn’t fight for’… whatever but he did fight, we’re constantly told, for freedoms.

Unless he’s saying of course he fought to separate, then that’s just a religious dictatorship.

23. The “war veteran” do doubt prides himself on having fought for freedom?

24. MJA 94114 7 Jul 2013, 5:02pm

A) It’s Louisiana. As an American, Doesn’t surprise me at all. B) With so many people, there is always going to be someone who is offended by whatever the issue is. If we constantly catered to that one person, no one would be able to anything ever!

25. Thomas Ecker 7 Jul 2013, 6:06pm

I am from Louisiana. Mardi Gras flags are common here and the holiday is recognized by the state. It may have Christian origins, but it is a secular event here. In regards to to the veteran, it is not uncommon for them to be overly offended and aggressive for any slight they perceive. Take this as an example: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=nONjlZ8YMkA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnONjlZ8YMkA

The council member may try to make his rule law, but it may be easily challenged. The article didn’t state who flew the flag. Was it flown on a park owned flagpole? Was it flown by a citizen? Does the ban extend to any display of flags (not sanctioned) whatsoever? These points need to be addressed before any legal challenge can be initiated.

1. Thomas Ecker 7 Jul 2013, 8:49pm

Another article on this incident reveals Green wasn’t there. He saw a picture in the newspaper. He was incised and decided to call his local council member about the affair. Nice, huh?

26. ray green is an ass and probably would have been better for all if he had died in the war rather than return with that kind of antiquated and bigoted attitude!!!

27. I, too, am a veteran of two foreign wars. Age 74. I am all for the Gay Flag, as I am also gay. I suppose Mr. Green did not fight for my right to be out and proud; even as he seems not to be.

28. GingerlyColors 7 Jul 2013, 10:32pm

How can anybody be offended by the flying of the Rainbow Flag which is now generally recognised throughout the world as an LGBT symbol. God (if you believe in him) sometimes displays a rainbow in the sky!
    Surely a ban on the flying of the Rainbow Flag would be in direct violation of the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution guaranteeing free speech – something that the hate mongers from the WBC and KKK seem to hold so dear. And if the Rainbow Flag is banned will the ban also extend to the Confederate Flag, favoured by Deep South rednecks who view the days of slavery through rose-tinted glasses?

29. Creating a law that is unconstitutional from the start is just bloody stupid.

1. Metsän poika 8 Jul 2013, 2:03am

and with that m’lud, the defence rests its case.

30. Kristyana French 9 Jul 2013, 2:49pm

Offended so what, he fought in a war for reasons of his own? I don’t think so. Oppression was one thing that the Korean conflict was fought over that was communist oppression . No one has a righ to invoke vetreran status to oppress Iothers.