Education Secretary Michael Gove: Using ‘gay’ as an insult is ‘outrageous and medieval’

1. Religion is the problem with it’s careful mistranslation of scripture and misinterpretation of same providing an excuse for religious based homophobic bigotry.
    As Gove is responsible for the proliferation of schools under the control of religious sects he needs to ensure that homophobic attitudes are not being fostered and spread.
    The idea that simply to be homosexual and to live out the life that naturally follows from that orientation is a sin is not supported by honest interpretation of scriptural sources.

1. de VIlliers 7 Jul 2013, 4:52pm

Pavlos – are you English or do you have children who are about to go or who do go to an English school?

Because if the answer to either of those is yes then you will realise that nearly all the good state schools in this country, unbelievably, are church schools. That was the state of affairs before the free-schools started and it still it.

When the time came for me to send my adopted son to primary school, the choices were average to lower average secular schools, high achieving church schools or fee-paying schools.

Despite my mistrust of fee-paying schools (they are very different in France), we decided to pay the £14,250 per year for the fee-paying primary school. However, I know gay couples who have sent their children to church schools because the secular ones were very poor.

None of that is anything to do with Michael Gove.

1. De Villers – I am 17 years a teacher and would never subject my adopted children to a church school! I work in secular schools and just wondered if you were basing your judgements on SATs results, OFSTED reports, the data dashboard or word of mouth? I based the decision to send my oldest to a primary school on a combination of all of the above. I am pragmatic about it, but could never send my child to an institution that will, explicitly or implicitly, teach him that being gay is not equal or superstitious nonsense is a good basis on which to make judgements about others in the C21st!

On a different note, Michael Gove is systematically breaking up our education system, demoralising teachers and pushing forward an ideology that really is not based on sound evidence. We will all reap the disaster that he is sewing.

2. de Villiers 8 Jul 2013, 7:22pm

I made my decision on everything that you said – Ofsted reports, speaking to parents of the children whom our son had met at the nursery, the tables in the education supplement of the Daily Telegraph and the Times Educational Supplement.

In the end, we chose a school for which we have to pay. It is a scandal that people have to pay for a school. I had never seen such a thing before – across all Europe.

2. “Honest interpretations of scriptural sources”….. Mate it’s all made up stories written years after the supposed events took place. Don’t give religion of any persuasion the slightest bit of credence.
    As for Gove , so we are meant to be thankful that he has made these comments as a Tory ….while they hand the majority of our schools over to the CoE, a church which has quite clearly made its opinions on our rights to equality very clear .

3. So I will dismantle any central control over education and let creationists run our schools.

Gove is damaging our children in many ways. Lip service doesn’t help resolve it.

4. Ethel Clutterbuck 6 Jul 2013, 8:58am

Like stopped clock, the duck-faced twatypus is occasionally right

1. My favorite comment here this year

5. According to this – http://goo.gl/9576p – it seems Michael Gove cares a lot less about homophobic bullying than he says

6. He may be right; nevertheless this is a classic case of pinkwashing.

The gay rights cause is being used by these b****** to paint themselves/deflect as being nice.

I would not fall for it. S*bags the lot of them.

7. Helge Vladimir Tiller 6 Jul 2013, 10:44am

One apropos : Fifty / sixty years ago no person thought that somebody being homosexual could be happy ! The use of the word “gay” must be seen partly on this background. ( for instance people in a Pride parade, really show off their happiness ! ) It is a way of fighting back ! Homophobia always boils down to religion.

1. Paul Halsall 7 Jul 2013, 1:13pm

Some people did. Read James Merrill’s (a major gay American poet) memoir of the 1950s for example; or some of Christopher Isherwood’s work.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 8 Jul 2013, 6:55am

I did mean : no straight peoople thought a homosexual could be happy- Sorry ! (—getting old- So basically we agree.. Also about Isherwood–)

8. Helge Vladimir Tiller 6 Jul 2013, 10:48am

WE “OWN” the word “gay”.Understand ?

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 6 Jul 2013, 11:48am

Have a feeling I’m being misinterpreted again. Maybe due to the fact that I went to school more than 50 years ago . And English is definitely not my mother-tongue. Have forgotten a lot !
      Sorry !

2. Helge Vladimir Tiller 7 Jul 2013, 8:20am

The word OWN is written with quotation marks ! Somebody obviously don’t understand—-

9. I wonder how the Education Secretary feels about schools which force their students to conform to needless gendered uniform/dress codes irrespective of what gender a student identifies as or even if they identify with masculinity or femininity at all? This is often the case and passes mostly without comment – particularly with regard to the allowances made to religiously-orientated schools – isn’t that similarly all a bit ‘outrageous and medieval’, too? Or are politicians as just as scared of failing to ingratiate themselves to the patriarchal religious establishment as they are standing up to the minority of media barons like Murdoch whom they fear have the power to make or break ‘em?;)

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 6 Jul 2013, 11:53am

Another wise comment by Katie ! Definitely not the first one. Intelligent person. Love from Norway-

10. Paula Thomas 6 Jul 2013, 6:38pm

Yeah the trouble with Gove is he’ll say something good then do something extremely bad.

11. Mr Grove is religiously conflicted, a form of cognitive dissonance.
    It is quite simply not possible to conflate religious liberty with human rights when they are in conflict.
    I wish these conservative “liberals” would get it into their heads religion and ethics are not synonymous although they sometimes coincide.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 7 Jul 2013, 5:16pm

Good comment, renovato ! Very much this signalizes cognitive dissonance.