MEPs condemn transphobic police crackdown in Greece

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Jul 2013, 2:27pm

Disgusting! Greece is really going down the toilet! I smell the Orthodox cult’s influence and dirty hands all over this.

2. GulliverUK 3 Jul 2013, 3:07pm

So the place is descending in to lawlessness, i.e. the government and police acting in a lawless and unconstitutional way.

Do people still go there for holidays?

Frankly if I was going to chose to go somewhere Greece would probably have been on the list, but like this? No chance. And, to be blunt, as an economy which was heavily reliant on tourism, all the messaging coming out of there are — don’t go there. And that’s a shame, but I did want to go there.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Jul 2013, 3:58pm

Gay people still go to Mikonos from what I’ve learned.

2. As a bisexual transwoman myself I have to agree, it’s a huge pity indeed, because I also always wanted to know Greece, specially the Mount Olympus, which I always wanted to climb. Now each day more Greece is becoming another Russia, a place for any sane and decent person to boycott and never put the feet on.

Well, maybe I can still go there, enjoy the travel and all the places I want to know and take a chance to protest against the human rights violations and even provoke and tease the authoritarian police to force them to arrest me, in the best Thoreau spirit, the same and only reason I would ever consider visiting Russia.

3. I’m going in a few weeks. I’ll let you know if its like the last days of Berlin.

4. Jock S. Trap 3 Jul 2013, 3:58pm

This is absolutely disgusting.

Surely this is where Brussels and the rest of the European countries need to speak up and be counted.

They need a bail out? surely respect for one’s citizens should be priority before they receive help?!

5. Staircase2 3 Jul 2013, 4:57pm

Shocking
    What is the EU and UN doing about this?

6. Greece, always competing with Russia to the title of “hell on Earth”. And what they both have in common ? Orthodox Christian Church. Once again, tell me fundamentalist Christianity, what right you have to continue existing ?

7. Dear friends I am a 42 yo doctor from Greece. This unlawful behaviour of the police is the rule, not the exception. A lawyer of the trans people was unlawfully sustained, not only the trans themselves. EU does not really care for human rights or gay rights in Greece. Of course, outside EU we would be in a worse state. European Right wing parties think human rights conflicting with family and patriot values. But Greece’s New Democracy, the main party in governement, is no Cameron or even Merkel. Many MEP’s overtly call for co operation with Nazist Golden Dawn. EU is fine with that, as long as financial programs go on? Do they really care to whom they are giving their money? Euronews in Greek was banned mainly bacause it was considered pro-gay and this was before public tc shut down. Anti-hate speech law proposed by Democratic Left was rejected by New Democracy and PM himself mainly because it protected lgbt people.

8. Every gay scene in Greece could be shut down at any time. There are laws against the “fascilitation of immoral acts”, let me tell you.

9. Dimitris T 18 Jul 2013, 5:03pm

Yesterday, 18-7-13 overwhelming police violence against trans people in Thessaloniki.
    Deeper and deeper in thw chit, we sink…
    (Still alive, writing) from Greece…

10. Although the severe harassment is still ongoing and the police is getting more violent with Trans people everyday, lets not forget that this is the agenda of the far right that is on the rise in Greece with half the police force voting and actively supporting Golden Dawn. However it needs to be said that it is a bit of an exaggeration that they are going to close down “every gay scene” as Dimitris affirms. I am Greek as well and although ignorance over sexual orientation and gender identity are stupendously widespread, we are organising and actively resisting through various means.
    By the way why isn’t Greece in the List of European Countries in Pink News?

1. This is a conversation of the two of us, after so many days, as it seems. I said that there are legal ways trough which averry gay scene could be shut. Legal fossils, but though existing laws.
      Golden Dawn MP Panagiotaros called thew German Minister of Foreign Affairs a “lady”… Isn’t this ridiculus? I think that this should be widespread within lgbt people in Europe and in Germany in particular… Because I thinik that their government has already consented to the coalision of ND and GD.

1. It is ridiculous, you are right. What do we do is the question? Also whose government has consented for the coalition og GS and ND? The greek or the German? Regardless I am under the impression that neither the Greeks nor the Germans give a toss about the situation in Greece. They just care about their economic indexes.