Green MP Caroline Lucas tables amendment for equal survivor benefits for gay couples

1. GulliverUK 3 Jul 2013, 6:50pm

Fantastic, I wish her the best. If she managed to get that done she’s got my vote – and if there is no Green MP here, I’ll move to Brighton !

I hope she is successful, but I fear there is still way too much homophobia in Parliament, and she won’t get anywhere with it.

1. Beelzeebub 3 Jul 2013, 9:09pm

I fortunately work in the UK for a large generally unknown global French Canadian IT company and this is not even an issue.

The slightest hint of homophobia / racism / misogyny / and even religious bias in either work or home employment environments is dealt with swiftly.

My civil partner has shared those rights from day one.

I have worked for these people for the past 6 years and none of the inequalities brought to bear during my civil partnership have I suffered.

I guess its all down to the ideology of the owners of the company you work for or those entrusted in the public space which we tax payers pay for.

1. GulliverUK 3 Jul 2013, 9:18pm

Yes, apparently two-thirds of the ‘private’ pension providers do already provide equal survivor benefits – they must have known they’d have to some day, so the others should be boycotted or taken to court so they are forced in to line.

1. Beelzeebub 3 Jul 2013, 9:45pm

I agree.

It must be a given, however we are talking about finance companies therefore the common good is of no interest.

Clearly the so called appointed government “Watch Dogs”
          are a waste of space.

They are nothing more than self serving committees of self interested appointees pocketing cash whilst screwing those they were designed to serve.

You only have too look at OFCOM. OFWAT. OFTEL, British Council. etc etc etc.

Never ending bands of over paid place men and thousands of staff supporting such crap who NEVER fix the commercial issue, IE the public getting ripped off.

All in the pockets of corporates

2. With doma trashed by the USA supreme court, that will happen for fed govt employes here

Others, well of the fortune 500 largest co.s here in the USA about 80% have non discrimination policies so most likey they will have survivor benefits. But homophobic companies, eg Exxon Mobil – nothing you can do about them except try to put in some kind of penalty. It does exist in our pension laws, eg if a certain % of tthe mgt doesnt sign up for tax deferred pensions here, virtually all employes lose some federatl tax beneifts

2. Could we actually looking at the first MP with both honour and integrity?

1. Beelzeebub 3 Jul 2013, 9:49pm

Maybe.

But current human reality escapes her outwith her own sphere of experience.

Lovely woman, but we cannot get to work on a carrot and a wind farm.

1. Lol. So true!

3. Married is married. If Marriage equality is achieved in England and Wales then survivor benefits and all other benefits should be exactly the same as those afforded to heterosexual couples.

1. Beelzeebub 3 Jul 2013, 9:58pm

This can only be achieved in law.

Law is an ASS and constructed by those in positions to do so.

IE Politicians and Lawyers.

We can only watch these people either give or deny us these rights.

We can fuss and grumble and we have done.

We have shown that we are not some alien species only deserving of the crumbs thrown at us, whilst the establishment religions spit on us.

As has been shown.

We needed to do nothing.

The religions imploded on their own lies and hatred.

Even more so.

The more vehemently homophobic the Archbishop, the more you will find his sexual lies.

1. Here is the big problem for webly- the church, as is true in almost all of western Europe is teetering like a 100 year old on his legs while he picks out his grave site.

Xtianity is dying.

4. We can give the queen a pay rise and tax money is used to refurbish an apartment for William and Kate to the tune of £1.1million at present, a 21-room, four-storey apartment for a family of three that is, but closing this loophole is an unnecessary expense that would affect too few people, obviously. Sheesh priorities.

5. Good/ I almost got scared though.

In the USA “tabling can mean that the bill is effectively cancelled and hence tossed in the trash can.

6. Just noticed that the bill goes back to the house of lords on July 15 for the 3rd readint which is usually the final one. Then it goes to the commons again re any changes

archbishop Webly is meeting with the chief homophobe of Rome this week. I wonder whether Welby will be come a strong opponent and create delays etc

If I were Webly, I’d simply not show in Rome . As we say when someone goes out on a date and the other person doesnt show, stand them up.

The new pope gave the old pope a cushy apartment in the vatican, but for many things including being complicite in hiding the molestation, the new pope should have EXcommunicated RATZInger.

1. GulliverUK 4 Jul 2013, 9:31am

Here’s the amendment list so far;

That Tosser Bone has put in a private bill for
      a referendum on it. tw*t.

All the bill documents are here;

In other news, a glimmer of hope;
      Kenya: Pope’s Envoy Champions Gays and Lebians Rights

7. Dan Filson 4 Jul 2013, 11:50am

I wonder if government ministers will warn that Lord Alli’s amendment, if passed, may “derail” the Same Sex Marriage Bill. They seem to want the palm of supporting equality without the dust of the costs that attach. I’m not clear whether the Lucas amendment has a chance of being carried.

8. Dan Filson 4 Jul 2013, 11:59am

I wonder what chances Caroline Lucas’ amendment on the Pensions Bill and Lord Alli’s on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill have of being passed? Will coalition ministers pop up warning that Lord Alli’s amendment will, if passed, “derail” the Bill, and likewise warn that her amendment is “unaffordable”. They – the ministers – seem to want the palm (of being supportive of equality) without the dust (of facing up to the cost).

9. Dan Filson 4 Jul 2013, 12:03pm

My comment keeps being refused on the basis it is a duplicate. I’ll try again until I get it posted.

1. Dan Filson 4 Jul 2013, 12:05pm

Now all my attempts appear at once, like double decker buses in convoy.

1. There’s a time delay on this site before a comment is posted- not sure why, though, since nothing seems to be banned.

10. So the equal marriage bill still doesn’t provide equality? After years of consultation and endless discussion? I am speechless.