David Cameron confirms tax breaks for those in marriages and civil partnerships

1. Beelzeebub 1 Jul 2013, 12:29pm

Oh joy.

An extra £2.88 a week.

Just what will I do with such riches.

1. St Sebastian 1 Jul 2013, 1:08pm

It won’t make any financial difference for me but the principle matters because it is based on equality. I am sorry that it won’t make much difference to you, but it may well make a greater difference to others for whom I hope you will be happy for them.

1. Beelzeebub 1 Jul 2013, 2:18pm

I allude to the fact that a bunch of politicians who may be awarded up to £10,000 extra in their already overinflated salaries think that throwing these crumbs at us is going to get them re-elected should think again.

1. St Sebastian 1 Jul 2013, 3:24pm

Point taken. My perspective was purely equality. Anything that puts us on par with the rest of the community I think is a good thing because it forces the straight community to accept as equals.

However, I wouldn’t change my voting intentions based on this, as you say, these are crumbs. But our quest for equality every crumb counts, no matter who drops the crumbs.

1. This isn’t about equality – it would be a new tax break for both same-sex and opposite-sex couples.

2. roderious 3 Jul 2013, 9:34pm

This legislation would mean unmarried couples and single people paying more tax than married or CP’s couple. How does making people unequal promote equality?

2. Jock S. Trap 1 Jul 2013, 12:33pm

Anything that helps has to be welcomed!

I know I do.

3. Single people have higher living costs already. What is the point in this?

I’m in a CP, but I think this is BS.

4. I speak as a mere singleton, but I can’t really see how one partner in a marriage is going to give up their job and stay home for £150 rather than earn significantly more by continuing to work. The tax break is a pointless idea that will only serve to damage and alienate from all sides.

1. I don’t think the bill aims to get people to quit thieir jobs but purely to help those couples where only one person works and the other stays home, possibly to look after children. This also addresses the point made above by joss. Single people may have higher leaving costs than the average person in a couple, but surely the costs of a sole wage earner in a couple are higher still.

1. There are tax credits for people with children aren’t there? How many mother’s stay at home to raise the kids anyway? Surely the majority of people who this affects have two working people. Why should the state support women who stay at home out of choice, whilst at the same time removing benefits from the sick and disabled and those actively seeking work?

When it’s proven that children who go to daycare develop faster than those who don’t, why should we support this model of “traditional” parenting?

Look at the rents for single people, then look at the council tax and utilities they pay. It doesn’t compare favorably. My single friends live in shared houses, in tiny rooms with people they barely know. The chances of them being able to afford to rent by themselves are slim to none, the chances of them being able to make any savings are infinitesimal.

5. This really will not do me and my CP any favours.

6. That There Other David 1 Jul 2013, 1:13pm

For once it appears that I agree with Nick. This is just some sop to the Tory right that will further complicate the tax code rather than giving it a long overdue simplification.

Bad idea. Stupid one too.

7. Godric Godricson 1 Jul 2013, 1:19pm

It must ‘chap the ass’ of the right wing when they see people in CP’s having this tax benefit. Prior to partial legalisation in England and Wales the state could imprison people for being Gay. Now we get a tax break for being together. How times have changed.

1. roderious 3 Jul 2013, 9:37pm

you do not get a tax break for being together, you get it for being in a CP. Any couples who have not entered into CP’s will be second class citizens as will single people.

8. That’s £600m being handed out to people who may – or may not – need it. Not because they have children, not where there is financial need – just because they are lucky enough to be married!

1. GulliverUK 1 Jul 2013, 2:59pm

Exactly, we just wasted £600m. It works by taking one of the partners tax-free allowance, so if both partner are working and using their full allowance – as most couples, gay and straight are, then they’ll get nothing. For gay couples I suspect that in most cases both work, and thus we’re far less likely to get anything. The administration costs are going to be sky-high.

It’s a very, very bad policy. Would rather this was put in to education, childcare, or child benefit, or in to tackling homelessness or LGBT suicide prevention, or womens’ refuges … practically on anything other than this.

1. That There Other David 1 Jul 2013, 3:10pm

Also remember that it only works for basic rate taxpayers. With the gradual lowering in real terms of the 40% threshold that’s less people with every passing year.

9. Huh. I honestly thought the plan was just to incentivise people to get married, not to incentivise one spouse to stay at home and do the cooking and cleaning. I suppose the idea will probably win some votes among people who have been hiding in caves since the 1950s.

10. The Tories love both marriage and tax cuts, so it isn’t surprising that they think it’s somehow beneficial to combine them, regardless of other considerations.
    Oh, dear.

11. de Villiers 1 Jul 2013, 9:22pm

Sometimes it is depressing to look at the insularity of others who have not lived abroad and know little about the systems in Europe.

In many other countries in Europe, households rather than individuals can be taxed. A joint income can be declared – which helps couples when one person stays at home to look after children.

It is not unusual – and it sets a cultural tone that is positive for couples and families.

1. roderious 3 Jul 2013, 9:39pm

it sounds like a very bad system and open to abuse. Taxing everyone in the same way regardless of their marital or relationship status is the only fair way.