Russia: Putin signs anti-’gay propaganda’ bill into law

1. GulliverUK 30 Jun 2013, 4:30pm

Well, what did we expect? A cold-war Stalinist like him suddenly getting a conscience? It was hoping for too much. And how could he go against his coalition partners – the Russian Orthodox Church?

Russia is descending back in to chaos, authoritarian communist rule, using Capitalism to make sure the greedy rich are put to the top of the food chain, and the poor marginalised. It’s not just people who are gay he’s targeting, this is the beginning of a general crackdown on the population.

We can’t invade and remove this dictator (that’s hasn’t exactly been successful elsewhere either), and since he now controls a lot of oil flow across Europe, we can’t expel them from the Council of Europe – they just don’t have the balls.

Can gay people flee across Europe? What other pressure can be bring on them? Lots of IT projects are based in Russia, can we influence companies to not do business with them? There’s got to be something we can do.

1. Billy Fish 30 Jun 2013, 8:49pm

It’s about time, wish we would do this in the UK.
      I have nothing against you if you are gay, but it is wrong to offer this to kids who are likely to be confused with puberty.
      My daughter when 14 was told by her lesbian teacher that she should consider whether she was gay, which led to one confused teenager.
      when I complained I was told I was the one who had a problem.
      She is now happily married with children.

1. Your daughter may now be “happily married” but it was only correct that she should consider her sexuality. You have in fact proven that open-mindedness does not “turn” people homosexual.

However, if you so admire Mr. Putin, pack your bags and go live in Russia. I dare you.

(You know why you won’t be leaving the UK, don’t you! You actually LIKE living in a democratic and liberal nation!)

2. bobbleobble 30 Jun 2013, 9:15pm

And when I was growing up I was a confused teen who needed help coming to terms with my sexuality. I was denied any assistance because we did have a law like this, the despicable section 28. My form tutor and the school guidance counselor turned me away because they were told not to discuss homosexuality.

That didn’t stop me being gay, it simply made me miserable and feel isolated and alone. What you ask is to propagate ignorance and it has nothing to do with safeguarding kids.

Oh and I’m sorry but the idea your daughter’s teacher told your daughter to consider lesbianism is laughably unrealistic. Nothing is being offered to kids, nobody is suggesting that kids give gay sex a try.

And I can hardly contain my amusement that you think you have nothing against gay people. You seek to damage young gay kids, make all kids ignorant and prejudiced. And yet you claim to have nothing against gay people – I call bollox.

3. Jock S. Trap 1 Jul 2013, 8:22am

How Exactly do you ‘offer’ this?

I knew I was Gay ever since I can remember, why should I be denied who I am.

2. I’ll never visit this backward looking nation! Zero pink $$ for Russia!

3. And may the powers that be spew even more meteors towards Russia as a sign of karma to Putin’s draconian laws. What an asshole.

4. Putin is as evil as the national -conservative cesspool Russia he leads.

5. Michaelandfred 30 Jun 2013, 6:12pm

Yes, well, as long as they’re not homophobic…. :-(

6. If you have evidence that incest is legal in Russia and is relevant to the issue in question, do share. Otherwise do us a favour and crawl back under the stone you emerged from.

1. Keith please tell us, how does it feel carrying so much hate around with you.

we pity you. You and your kind are loosing the war over equality and it is getting under your skin so you come on here and thrash about in your death throws.

The more hate you spew, the more we laugh at you.

Please carry on commenting on here, it just makes our victories that much sweeter.

7. Helge Vladimir Tiller 30 Jun 2013, 6:56pm

I hate very few persons ! It is not fruitful- But to be honest. I HATE PUTIN.

1. bobbleobble 30 Jun 2013, 9:16pm

How’s the search for a sc@ t partner coming along Keith, any good leads?

8. Here’s hoping that the 40 people or so arrested yesterday “can’t and won’t be charged or prosecuted under the new law! If Putin only signed it into law today, their charges would be bogus!

That said, I hope the 40 will be closely monitored by family and friends. Here after their safety and well being needs to be closely monitored. Anything which compromises it should be brought to international attention.

1. bobbleobble 30 Jun 2013, 9:17pm

Any luck with finding a partner for sc@ t?

9. James Savik 30 Jun 2013, 8:49pm

what do you expect from an ex-KGB assassin that has murdered his way to the top and kills anyone that might be a rival?

10. I’m in New Zealand at the moment and it’s interesting to observe that the national radio station here has this morning reported this news at first position, even above the massings of protesters in Cairo, and in a way that suggests that Russia is some kind of weird alien inhuman state, much as it used to be thought of in the days of the gulags! Exactly the right attitude!

Also, it’s been interesting to note that whenever I’ve mentioned by-the-by to middle-aged Kiwis here, male and female, that I’m gay and have a Civil Partner back in the UK they really haven’t batted an eyelid . . . though I’m sure that sooner or later I’ll encounter a Kiwi homophobe. But so far, so good though.

Maybe this is a reason why in recent years a considerable number of wealthy Russians have chosen to settle in New Zealand!

11. GingerlyColors 30 Jun 2013, 9:14pm

PUT (ing the boot) IN.

12. So Putin introduces a law which denies heavily bullied and desperate Russian LGBT children information and help with excuse that he is depriving them of it in order to ‘protect’ them. That sure takes some arrogance!

13. My question is…are Russians as homophobic as he is? I didn’t see so much bigotry when I visited Sait Petersburg…

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 1 Jul 2013, 8:56am

No, dear Elena. You can meet very friendly and gay friendly people in Russia as well. Remember many, many persons are well educated ! Love to You from Norway !

14. Jock S. Trap 1 Jul 2013, 8:23am

Wrong issue for a site for LGBT people.

15. Frank Boulton 1 Jul 2013, 3:13pm

A vote of 436-0 in favour of the law banning the promotion of “non-traditional” relationships tells us eloquently that dissent is not tolerated in Russia. None of our petitions will help the LGBT people of Russia.

I speak with Russians every day. The gay ones are resigned that they will have to marry women. Most of the others don’t see that this law is discriminatory. They don’t even see that all Russians now have fewer rights than they did in the Soviet Era.

1. What with Putin and the Orthodox church, you gotta be crazy to go ther as a tourist, gay or straight.

16. LOL, I thought the majority of the people in the world supported same sex relationships? 436-0 vote tells me quite a few Russions don’t.