London: Senior gay Tory dismisses ‘hissy fit’ reaction to Boris Johnson’s ‘up the Arcelor’ joke

1. GulliverUK 30 Jun 2013, 1:38pm

Classic Boris. He is something of a clown, and I’m not sure he really harbors any malice towards anyone. Does anyone here think he meant it in a derogatory way? I don’t.

On the other hand there are people who harbor nothing but extreme malice and I think they mean every word they say. Let’s save our efforts to them.

1. If he did the same joke for any other group there would have been outrage. But of course it’s ok to make fun of gays…
      Sorry for my English.
      PS I don’t mean this as a critique of a British politician, I mean it in general.

1. GulliverUK 30 Jun 2013, 7:00pm

Boris is one of those people we don’t take too seriously. If he doesn’t make a gaffe at least once a day we call a doctor to see if he’s feeling okay. :)

I agree with what you say, but Boris is more gaffe prone than any politician, and I think I’m right to saying we know he doesn’t really mean any malice, unlike many other politicians.

1. So no malice was meant, then, when he defended Section 28 in 2000 with the words “it is more sensitive to spare parents’ anxieties than to allow leftwing local authorities to waste taxpayers’ money on idiotic and irrelevant homosexual instruction”? Or, as recently as 2005, no malice was meant when he stated “Gay marriage can only be a ludicrous parody of the real thing”?

Sorry, but you seem to be a little hoodwinked when you think he just makes gaffes. The man is a clever politician – he must be, otherwise he would never have become mayor of London. The bumbling gaffe-prone image which he cultivates is very useful when he needs to explain away the offensive views he had when it was politically expedient to have them.

1. 2000 and 2005 are history – people change, society changes, views towards our community have changed hugely. Boris is extremely supportive when it comes to our rights – and he puts GLA money where his mouth is. If that truth doesn’t suit the rabid Far Left agenda then hard cheese.

2. Sister Mary Clarence 1 Jul 2013, 12:41am

I’m happier to go with 2013 when he backed equal marriage, particularly when he did so in the hugely influential position of Mayor of London

3. GulliverUK 1 Jul 2013, 9:14am

You know I said much the same about Theresa May when she was announced as Home Secretary, as did many of us, and I was wrong. She had changed, and a lot. We worried when Maria Miller took over but she has proved to be an amazing advocate for us. I do remember Boris’s history, but as society has changed most people are moving together towards a fairer society, embracing change, realising it wasn’t that difficult to be progressive on these issues.

Boris’s gaffes are part of his style – as I said before I don’t believe he intended it as malice. I agree with Jason, and what he said in 2000 and 2005 isn’t who he is now. I’ve changed my views on all sorts of issues over the last 10 years.

2. My concern is not only about how he feels, what about how people react to his “joke?” It lets the impression that gay rights are not a serious matter.
          Sorry for my English.

2. Senior Gay Tory = Rigid Stockholm Syndrome. Boris is just a symptom and his mouth is bad as his brain. He wouldn’t say that at a Tory grandee event. With political profile, comes responsibility. BJ is not up to it.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 30 Jun 2013, 5:01pm

Been a fairly decent mayor though, compared to Red Ken ratcheting up the council tax every two minutes, so I’m not knocking him

3. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Jun 2013, 1:58pm

I give Boris a pass, doesn’t offend me one bit although it does others. I’d rather have him for me than against me.

I’m still getting mixed messages regarding the Marriage Bill. Maria Miller said that marriages will take effect a year from the Bill’s passing, yet Boff, Clegg and others say it’s in the autumn. Which is it? Lord Jenkin told me it would be next year.

1. The bill will probably be given royal ascent and become an Act in autumn but not come into force until next year. It was the same for CPs

4. I was there. It was funny. Much as I respect Messrs Bryant and eagle, may I politely suggest they get a sense of humour.

5. No worse than you the saucy jokes you get from the average drag queen. Tame by comparison in fact

6. Golly gosh, Gay Tories everywhere now. Next they’ll be leaving their wives and claim bisexuality as their own.

7. vversatile 30 Jun 2013, 5:22pm

Boris is an arse and a fair-weather-friend.
    Whatever he says now, we all remember this quote from 10 years ago.
    “If gay marriage was OK – and I was uncertain on the issue – then I saw no reason in principle why a union should not be consecrated between three men, as well as two men; or indeed three men and a dog.”

However – it’s clear that this was a well-intentioned joke.
    To treat it as anything less makes those people look ridiculous.

8. Gays having a hissy-fit? Well I never!

I hope none of them storm out in a huff if someone talks about taking their partner up the Oxo Tower (restaurant).

1. Meh, that wasn’t nearly as funny.

9. Oh come on guys, that remark was definitely funny, and not malicious at all. I’m still laughing my arcelor off everytime i read about it :D

10. I thought it was quite a funny pun actually… Don’t see what the problem is! I’m sure I heard someone (Jimmy Carr perhaps?) say once that the best comedy is funny to most because its offensive to some – maybe Boris is a hidden talent lol

Ok that’s a bit too optimistic even for me :o)