Divorced Tory MP Daniel Kawczynski reveals he has a boyfriend

1. Common sense 30 Jun 2013, 1:13pm

Good luck to him!

I sincerely hope that this does not count against him at the next. Election.

2. GulliverUK 30 Jun 2013, 1:44pm

To hear some Tories talk you’d think his own constituency association would lynch him, or throw him overboard, but he says they’ve been supportive, which is excellent news…. only … why are we being told that even allowing gay people to marry results in members leaving constituency associations en mass. Doesn’t it sound very contrived, since whether or not there was even an equal marriage bill, people would still be leaving – it’s mid-term, and this happens to most parties, in office and not, mid-term. We’ve probably been seen as a good scape-goat for that.

Perhaps more people will feel able to join his local constituency association knowing they are supportive.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Jun 2013, 2:03pm

He receives overwhelming opposition to the Marriage Bill from constituents but huge support for his coming out by the Shrewsbury Conservative Association. Is there a disconnect there or something? It doesn’t add up. Isn’t Shrewsbury the constituency of the infamous bigot catholic Archbishop Davies? Now it’s beginning to make sense.

1. GulliverUK 30 Jun 2013, 3:30pm

Unless you see polls of a representative sample for Shrewsbury I don’t see how anyone can know what their constituents actually think.

Bigots will be mobalised to contact him en-mass – we’ve heard it time and time again how Lords and MPs said they’ve had lots of almost identical letters opposing, but genuine and different letters from those who are in favor. Most said they’ve had way more against, which is the nature of a coordinated attack on our rights, but if my MP was a bigot, like Leigh for example, I wouldn’t even bother writing to them, far less trust them by identifying myself as gay and one of their constituents. I frankly wouldn’t trust a bigot. How many wrote to him against it? 100, 500? How many constituents does he have? 74,000? I write to my MP because he’s Labour, pro-equality, trustworthy – I’m lucky.

I’m sure there were other MPs where it was should the majority of their constituents were in favor, but they voted against based on their religious bigotry.

2. Christopher Coleman 30 Jun 2013, 6:14pm

It is not unusual, in my experience, for people to be highly critical of a group, but willing to accept an individual whom they know. While they can recognize the good qualities in the person they know, they continue to believe that the other members of the group (LGBT in this instance) conform to their prejudices and have no redeeming features at all.

3. “overwhelming opposition” It is highly likely that only the rabidly opposed will contact him while those who are pro and know he is pro wouldn’t contact him and the indifferent also wouldn’t contact him.

This could easily mean he receives overwhelming opposition while also receiving positive reactions from those he knows.

4. Beautiful man. Good luck to him.

5. Good on yer Mate to use an Aussie expression.I always say if everyone came out we would be in the majority.

1. GulliverUK 30 Jun 2013, 3:32pm

Hah! I think this is the 4th (?) Tory MP to come out since they formed the coalition. Someone correct me if it’s more.

6. Michael 2912 30 Jun 2013, 4:04pm

Weird and wonderful. The guy made my Gaydar ping when I looked at his website during the Commons = M debate. Over the years I’ve learnt to trust it. I wish him well and hope it all works out. From similar personal experience I know that it can, for everyone involved.

7. Having been to Shropshire for the first time last week and discovering what a conservative, white middle class and typical Middle England area it is, I’m not not surprised at the opposition.

8. I think it evidences that when people realise they know other people personally who are gay/bi, then suddenly they realise that we are indeed just like they are. There may well have been a lot of opposition to equal marriage from his constituents, from people that know him, who will now hopefully reconsider. I would hope they wouldn’t be hypocritical enough give him a standing ovation on the one hand, and then still wish to deny him and the rest of us the right to marry.

9. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Jun 2013, 5:48pm

The problem is with some of these MPs is that just because they say the opposition was overwhelming doesn’t necessarily mean that the majority of constituents are, it’s just that they were the only ones who bothered to make their voices heard. There’s a lot of apathy among British voters even among our supporters and that’s not just the Marriage Bill. If every gay man and woman had responded to the consultation, the Out4Marriage campaign and lobbied their MPs and the Lords, we’d be hearing a very different portrayal.

The hatemongers are far more motivated than we are, lets face it. I suspect had we not had CPs, we might have seen a far better turnout of supporters. Instead, many including some gay people are lulled into a false sense of having full equality when the reality is, we don’t.

Even if supporters had outnumbered the opposition, it doesn’t mean an MP would have voted for the Bill. All that tosh about doing what the constituents want doesn’t always translate into doing the right thing.

10. Are any Tory MP’s straight?

11. PN: However, he decided to vote in favour of the bill, telling activists he was motivated by “convictions as a God-fearing man, and as an individual that believes equality for all”.

When did he have his Damascene conversion? He was always voting against equality in the past.

1. Probably around the time he first took a **** in his mouth.

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 30 Jun 2013, 6:58pm

Which was also probably way before he decided to marry a woman. Something tells me his divorce was far from ‘amicable’.

12. He came out but perhaps he could have done so earlier. Why now I wonder
    I would have some concerns if I were him about his political future both as an MP and as a paid politician after the next election. If you think you can trust the narrow minded and religious haters he needs to reread some of those letters he received to remind himself what they really thought of him and us.
    I’m sure, considering his past, he’ll already be working on his plan B.

13. As far as I can see elsewhere – and please correct me if anyone knows differently – Daniel Kawczynski did not “openly identify as bisexual.” Did he use the term “bisexual” when talking to his constituency party or to the press? Relevant links would be appreciated.

If Mr Kawczynski did not self-identify as “bisexual” then the article is misleading.

1. Paul Brownsey 30 Jun 2013, 9:19pm

It is possible to be bisexual without self-identifying as bisexual.

What you self-identify with is not the last word on what you are.

A lot of gays, when younger, kid themselves that they are straight. They aren’t.

14. Well that was NOT unexpected. Kawczynski made my gaydar ping, I believe he is one of those who under oppression from traditionalist society had to pretend to be arrow straight and opened up who he was after all this pro gay environment beginning from last year, when we saw several closet cases open up. good for him.

15. As the former husband of a woman who came out as gay after 15 years of marriage and 2 children, I long for the day when no one feels the need to hide their true sexuality. Please spare a thought for the former Mrs. Kawczynski who, on some level, has been lied to, deceived and used by Mr. Kawczynski. I hope she has had the time and the help necessary to process the life changing emotional trauma that such a revelation often causes the straight spouse who ends up as the collateral damage of such bravery. Should she find herself in need of further help she might consider turning to the Straight Spouses Network http://www.straightspouse.org where she can find links the the UK branch.

1. What? How can you, as an outsider, know their situation? Perhaps she knew he was also sexually interested in people of the same gender. If he does identify as bisexual, which is what the article implies, she hasn’t been lied to, insofar as he would have had a loving relationship with her. Which happens, you know, to bisexuals. Not everyone who is also interested in the same gender is automatically gay.

1. I take your point, there is a lot we don’t know about this story. There is no comment from Mrs Kawczynski. But just as sexuality isn’t a choice no one gets divorced for fun.

16. harrymason666 1 Jul 2013, 9:54am

“The announcement makes him the first Tory MP to openly identify as bisexual.”

Yeah, “bisexual”…