Pride in London parade kicks off without the city’s Mayor Boris Johnson

1. GulliverUK 29 Jun 2013, 1:43pm

Most other sensible majors make sure they put this day in their diary, …. but, if he’s too busy, then when he asks if he can count on your vote simply tell him you’re too busy to talk to him, you’ve a very important appointment. :-p

ps. It won’t make any difference to people enjoying Pride, but people will wonder what could possibly have been so important. I can’t think of anything more important, especially this year.

1. Maybe he has painful piles and had to attend a doctor’s appointment?… who knows?

1. Well, exactly. There are hundreds of good reasons why he might be missing, and not all of them are things he might want to make public. I’ve no time for him politically, but I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for missing this.

2. Kate Griffiths 29 Jun 2013, 2:36pm

have people thought he might be involved in Armed forces Day? I would have thought that the organisers of Pride would have realised the clash of dates and organised on a different day

1. I was surprised by the clash too. Isn’t pride usually the first Saturday of July? That was the weekend I’d kept free, which is why I’m now sat at home working rather than drinking in Trafalgar Square.

2. What about the organisers of Armed forces Day rearranging, fully support AFD but Pride is much longer established. Besides, it’s quite possible for the mayor (and others) to attend two events on the same day, and I suspect many of the gay service personnel would want to do both too. For those living outside London might even work better.

1. Kate Griffiths 29 Jun 2013, 3:04pm

Armed Forces Day is a national event whilst Pride is local. It easier to rearrange a local event than a national event

1. Pride is also national, there are events up and down the country around this time of year. Don’t really see what the problem is though, as I’ve mentioned it’s quite possible to attend two events on the same day and I don’t see why the two should be mutually exclusive. Like I say support both events.

2. Kate Griffiths 29 Jun 2013, 4:02pm

Armed Forces Day is a national/international event whilst Pride is a local. What is easier to rearrange?

1. GulliverUK 29 Jun 2013, 6:44pm

Don’t know. Which one has 1 MILLION people attending?

And, to be blunt, he is the MAJOR OF LONDON, not NOTTINGHAM, although he could easily pass for the Sheriff of Nottingham (aka Robin Hood’s arch enemy), and his priority is LONDON events, not international war memorial, or armed forces, etc. He wasn’t elected by those in the armed forces, but by people who live in London.

All he had to do was to give advance notice that he wasn’t going to be able to attend, to leave it to the last moment looks like a snub, for which he will pay a heavy price. I agree that he isn’t really needed – frankly I’m not bothered if he attends, but he has been a regular and when someone doesn’t turn up, giving almost no notice, people will wonder if it’s a snub. Cutting HIV support services in London is a snub. Perhaps he didn’t come because he has no answers to why he did that, and is too embarrassed to come.

1. Jock S. Trap 30 Jun 2013, 10:08am

Actually the are armed forces personnel who live in London who vote. There are barracks in London with voters. Also there was a parade around London, I know because one passed me yesterday.

How do you know those living in London didn’t vote for Boris? Do they not have the right to vote?

I think it’s ignorance that suggests lowering our brave Armed Forces when they are entitled to our support too. Lets not forget that we do have Gay/Lesbians in the Armed Forces too!!

Boris has already shown his support & funded half a million pounds towards London Pride so surely it is up to him how he spends his Saturday, Pride or Armed Forces day.

2. KAte griffiths is a cnut

3. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Jun 2013, 2:38pm

So two Labour MPs march in solidarity with us. Why no Tory or Lib Dem?

4. GulliverUK 29 Jun 2013, 2:49pm

I think we should have it every Saturday, that way he has no excuse for missing at least one!

If there is a clash why isn’t this the excuse given, instead of …he “rotates his appearances every year”. Really? I could have sworn he was there 2 years running.

Many articles get written each year about him attending, now there will be many more articles written than usual about him not attending. He was poorly advised. And is it not possible to be at both? Can’t he spare a couple of hours just to make an appearance? Perhaps he’s having tea with The Pope, or Justin Wellby instead?

1. GulliverUK 29 Jun 2013, 5:15pm

Given I’ve got 5 negs for this I’m assuming that at least 5 people haven’t gotten laid recently :) (just joking)

Seriously, if you’re gonna neg then it would help me a lot if you said which bit you don’t agree with, because it’s only by interacting and understanding other viewpoints that we learn and grow. We’re destined to repeat mistakes if we don’t know which bits they are. Thanks.

ps. I know that certain people of a highly religious persuasion come on here from time to time and just go around negging everybody, trying to drive a wedge and stir up trouble, which is also why I’d like feedback, so I can be sure it isn’t one of them. I don’t bite – well, not hard ! I won’t be upset for the neg, but it really does help to learn when people point out where you’re going wrong on a comment.

1. Don’t worry Gulliver, I got neg’ed for suggesting it’s possible to attend two events on the same day, and that some gay service members may wish to. Not entirely sure what was controversial about that either, but would also appreciated some feedback, although Kate G at least had the courtesy to respond.

PS keep up the good work on the Guardian :-)

1. GulliverUK 29 Jun 2013, 6:35pm

I think the fact I got a neg and no reply indicates it’s the work of brain-dead religious nutters, aka Keith & co. I’ve actually seen him post and them all the people who has 0 feedback go negative – I might be putting two and two and getting 31, but it wouldn’t be surprising for shadowy religious zombies to be behind it. I’m fairly sure Keith is one of the Christian Wingnuts Institute soldiers.

I didn’t see anything wrong with your other post, and since we’re having a fairly trivial discussion about Boris – aren’t they all – I don’t know why someone is blowing a gasket. Could it be shadowy Boris Johnson supporters from City Hall going it? If I ever found that to be the case I’d really gone to town on the Town Hall Jester! I didn’t vote for him and never will. If the fool is in Nottingham, then why the fcuk didn’t someone say that. More to the point, why is he cutting HIV support services in London.

1. Good points, perhaps Ed Snowden knows!

I’m up in Sheffield, so don’t always pick up on all of the London news, first I’ve heard of a cut in HIV services in London, that’s quite disturbing. ok meds are helping people live longer healthier lives but there is still a need for services to poz people, and also a renewed push to get the safer sex message out.

2. barriejohn 30 Jun 2013, 7:34pm

You’re right. I know that not every visitor reads every comment, and not every reader votes on every comment that he sees, but there are obviously people voting down comments without even reading them, and the results are hilarious. Diametrically opposite views can end up being equally unpopular, which flies in the face of reason!

5. Perhaps Boris is hoping that the Tory backwoodsmen will stab Cameron in the back because Equal Marriage is fast becoming a reality, and that by being absent from Pride he will seem more appealing to religiots, nutters and UKIP supporters if there’s a leadership contest.

If so, that’s a very cynical, disappointing move.

With the fantastic progress recently made in New Zealand, France, South America, several US states and the US Supreme Court (not to mention the ECHR), it should surely be apparent that opponents of Equal Marriage and equal rights are just flat earthers.

Even the US Republicans are quietly starting to realise that homophobia is now a passport to electoral defeat.

Boris needs a mighty good excuse for staying away from something so important that’s within walking / cycling distance…

6. I am no fan of Boris Johnson, but why this obsession with him attending Pride. He has given his vocal support to gay equality, which to me is far more important.

1. It’s more important to be respected. He does not respect gay people. He does what he has to for the image of London overseas, It good for tourism to be seen as gay friendly but when he cant be assed to show up or send a representative it show a complete lack of respect.

You hav to have some self respect before you could notice it

7. Jock S. Trap 29 Jun 2013, 3:04pm

I suspect he is attending Armed Forces day.

To be honest he has already shown his support And donated £500,000 to the cause. Why does he have to attend?

Fact is he doesn’t and it doesn’t matter.

1. I agree… Also… HE IS HETEROSEXUAL! I really don’t see the necessity to have him there! He has shown his support both financially and physically by being there the past 2 years!

If we want to talk about real scandal and lack of support, what about the massively inflated funds the likes of Jeremy Joseph and other soho club owners enjoyed from a full day’s trading when the parade was cancelled due to lack of funds… Where were they when their own community needed them?

1. Perhaps he is busy arranging an Adulterers Pride event?

1. Boris Johnson I mean, not Jeremy Joseph!

2. gingerfuzzball 29 Jun 2013, 11:04pm

The parade wasn’t cancelled last year, it was very different to the one planned (no floats), but it did happen, with lots more groups taking part than normal.

Jeremy Joseph is one of the guys behind London Community Pride, the organisation which took over Pride and got it back to being a viable event. Can’t say I like the man much, but I think it should at least be recognised that he has very much been supporting Pride this year.

2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Boris blanked you and you make excuses like a battered partner. Shame on you. You really think he cares about you with his empty words it so pathetic I pity you

8. barriejohn 30 Jun 2013, 7:49am

Well, now, there’s a surprise!