Straight Pride UK claims that 90% of Glastonbury attendees say they are ‘proud’ to be ‘naturally straight’

1. Locus Solus 28 Jun 2013, 2:30pm

Is this thing run by a group of 15 year old immature uneducated kids?
    It sounds like a bit of a crap joke.

1. It’s probably best to ignore them. Hopefully they might grow out of it!

2. There is no country in the world where being straight is a minority. As a bisexual person who came out late in life, I can put my hand on my heart and say that being straight is only an advantage in society. I therefore believe that these people are ignorant ‘Hetro-supremacists’. These bigots forget that our brothers and sisters etc. are straight!

1. The Vatican?

1. justusboyz 29 Jun 2013, 4:24pm

Lol @ David

3. That There Other David 28 Jun 2013, 2:34pm

Why don’t they have Straight Pride then? I’d happily attend one as a straight-friendly ally. What’s stopping them? Indifference towards the idea from straight people perhaps? Maybe it’s because there’s only about five people in the entire country that believes it necessary.

4. Maybe before ranting about ‘homosexual rights’, they ought to consider that there are absolutely zero hotels and B&B’s that object to hetrosexuality and refuse to allow people because of it.

5. so they are ‘naturally straight’ but according to them we made a ‘lifestyle choice’ !!! Pathetic heteros with nothing better to do…

6. “to raise awareness of being straight”

These people cant be serious! It sounds like one of the articles you read on April Fools Day!

7. Are they proud to be white too?
    When the overwhelming majority of the nation’s straight. When homosexuals were executed by the state as little as 150 years ago, and only made legal 50 years ago, where they are still discriminated to a large extent today, why should they not feel some pride for being who they are?
    Heterosexuals have no idea, many decent ones understand, but they don’t know what that’s like any more than I know what it’s like to be descended from a slave, or to fight for ethnic equality. I have no particular reason to be proud to be white. I’m just the tone I was born to, and my descendants never had to fight to have the same recognition as everyone else.

8. They also seem to be casually overlooking the fact that you rarely hear the words ‘Gay Pride’ these days. In most cases, the event is always billed as ‘Pride’ and is designed to be a celebration of diversity and tolerance. It’s not our fault that these people aren’t brave enough to just come along. It’s such an obviously homophobia-motivated initiative and nothing to do with ‘Straight Pride’.

9. They most probably asked 10 people if they were proud to be straight, 9 people looked at them funny and nodded their heads slowly, as in trying to get their heads around such an absurd question, and the tenth probably laughed them away, or was gay.

1. I too think that their “90%” statistic came from such a survey. I’d want to see the questions and answer options as well as the number of people asked before I took anything away from this claim.

10. Any group who cannot tell the difference between ‘then’ and ‘than’ needs to worry about educating themselves more!

11. I imagine they are also proud of being retarded.

12. When I first read the headline, I had hoped to read about a tongue-in-cheek organisation that was promoting that actual lifestyle choices that are popular in gay culture are equally open to straight people.

Sadly, it seems to just seems to be naivete and ignorance on the part of the creators. As many folks have already said, they’re welcome to join any Pride celebration, there’s no requirement to be gay, it’s all about diversity.

13. Hmm, the StraightPrideUK twitter feed appears to have followers from UKIP members. Heterosexual, White, ‘Christian’ , Far Right, and mainly Male. The usual keywords of ‘traditional’ mean this group are filled under the swivel-eyed loons category.

14. Jock S. Trap 28 Jun 2013, 3:20pm

I smell a dirty rat here… now religion wouldn’t be behind it would it now? Of course it does.

Clearly people need to grow up and smell the victory and not be bad losers.

What they’re actually saying is they want a Pride to discriminate not anything to do with being proud to be straight.

Seriously these people need to grow up.

15. Jock S. Trap 28 Jun 2013, 3:22pm

“dress ridiculously”? Better than dressing like a boring ol fart!

16. In the words of the American comic Rob Nash: “I get sick of listening to straight people complain about, “Well, hey, we don’t have a heterosexual-pride day, why do you need a gay-pride day?” I remember when I was a kid I’d always ask my mom: “Why don’t we have a Kid’s Day? We have a Mother’s Day and a Father’s Day, but why don’t we have a Kid’s Day?” My mom would always say, “Every day is Kid’s Day.” To all those heterosexuals that bitch about gay pride, I say the same thing: Every day is heterosexual-pride day! Can’t you people enjoy your banquet and not piss on those of us enjoying our crumbs over here in the corner?”

1. I’m so going to use that the next time someone questions me about the purpose of Gay Pride.

17. “Heterosexuals are overlooked” has someone not told them that heterosexuals have been able to marry for quite some time now?

18. I think your missing the point people. This to my mind is a potentially dangerous regressive organisation. I would not be surprised to find a nest of religious bigots behind this.

19. Tim Hanafin 28 Jun 2013, 3:56pm

Fatuous twoddle.

20. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Jun 2013, 4:12pm

Probably a lot are religious loons who signed the C4M petition. Not homophobic? Laughable!

21. What did you expect with the legislation of same sex marriage? Most people were more than happy for gay couples to have the same legal rights as regards pensions etc (although, funnily enough, the UK’s same sex marriage bill is still unequal in this respect), NOK etc just, you know, leave marriage alone as that’s just a step too far.

The gay rights movement has effectively trod over and destroyed marriage.

And you all know this deep down.

You have spent hours and hours rubbishing the beliefs of religion, and any voice of dissent against ssm is met with derision-even when some it is quite reasonable and not at all homophobic.

And if people want to show their displeasure at your attitudes via these legal and utterly harmless means, let them.

If you’re proud to be gay, then straight people have as much right to be as proud as you are to be straight.

I expect more of this sort of thing in the near future and as long as it’s legal then it is acceptable.

1. ‘destroyed marriage’ – explain how. How is marriage being destroyed? I dare you.

This is definition of a loon: someone who can’t stop for a moment, gain some perspective and ask simple questions.

2. That’s because most arguments against same sex civil marriage are made with religious arguments even though religion has no say in civil marriages. Furthermore, most arguments about traditional marriage fall flat on their face when you consider the marriages that are allowed today. Only the other day my religious grandmother said marriage is for procreation only even though she’s been married for 40-50 years and never borne a child.
      I don’t condemn people for being proud to be straight. I would want people to be happy with their sexuality whether they are gay or straight. I condemn the groups actions for the way they are trying to use this evidence and suggesting that gays have more rights/ are trying to steal rights from gay people.

1. Trying to steal rights from straight people*

22. Glastonbury has got so lame now , it’s even attracting these homophobic, clueless creeps who with their collective braincell think we have more rights. Have they not realised over the past few months the fight for basic human/civil right to marry that gay people have yet to achieve in this country. Idiots!

23. Jack holroyde 28 Jun 2013, 4:37pm

“[only homosexuals] have the right to take over city streets, dress ridiculously, and parade with danger and contempt, invade hotels and B&B’s”

Clearly, the author has not ever been to Newcastle.

24. Every day is straight pride day, normal everyday people, dressed normally, walking and behaving normally.

These people calling for Straight Pride are in fact a tiny group of homophobes who think gay people are not normal and that they should be allowed to sidestep the law and refuse services to LGBT folk.

Let them organise their Homophobes Pride day if they want but call it that not Straight Pride which is something quite separate to what they describe.

1. I wish I hadn’t even responded to this worthless trashy item on second thoughts.

25. Has Pink News actually contacted them to see what Straight Pride is all about? There is an email and number on their website

26. Ha, ha, ha… . They are truly funny; but, sad in a saddest way.

27. This is a parody right? I’ve blacked out, been in a coma for nearly a year and woken up on April 1st haven’t I? If it isn’t their website sure as hell looks like one. Apparently heterosexuals are not represented in society and criticising intolerance and bigotry is bigoted. We have special rights apparently although the only ones they can name are pride parades and complainng when businesses illegally deny service due to their own irrational prejudices. We can’t win with these people, sod’s law I guess (mind the pun).

28. They doth protest too much.

29. This sounds suspiciously like the type of c*ap coming from the religionists these days who are feeling very threatened having their previously unquestioned privileges taken away.

It probably sounded like a clever idea to some bitter twisted god botherer who just wants to s*it stir now they have lost.

Only a religionist would come up with these particular points, all of which are plainly ridiculous.

30. OK… Who is Straignt Pride, beyond a website and a twitter account? This website is almost certainly the work of a lone fanatic. If that is the case, then It is a mistake to give this individual any publicity.

31. aparently gay people have the right to dress ridiculously. how many people at glastonbury try to look ‘as normal as possible’?

32. Anybody who attends this, kill yourselves.

33. Making a mockery of the real issues that gay, bi and trans people face which is why LGBT pride has to exist. They don’t have a clue.

34. We’re still not entirely sure it’s not a parody. I love reading @StraightPrideUK, they’re hilarious. (This is not the usual response to homophobia.) And you get oodles of supportive replies, too.

1. I mean, “Remember when you meet someone or introduce yourself, make sure they know you are #Straight, it’s imperative they know and are made aware!” Seriously?!

35. Barry William Teske 2 Jul 2013, 3:18am

I almost feel like discriminating against them. But that would be intolerant and akin to promoting hate and inequality.
    I know how that feels so i won’t.

36. Straight Pride UK doesn’t really exist as an organisation. It has no support, no membership and no structure. It could not muster a demonstration and is mainly confined to insane internet rambling. Whilst the gay media like the excellent Pink News is right to keep tabs on it, we must be prudent and not give it what Mrs Thatcher once referred to (in the context of Sinn Fein) as “the oxygen of publicty”. Locus Solus is probably closest to the mark when s/he said “15 year old immature uneducated kids” are responsible for their screeds.