David Cameron: ‘I am proud of what this government has done on equal marriage’

1. He almost certainly didn’t write this.
    Most of his MPs didn’t vote for equal marriage.
    So, err, thanks, Dave.

1. All the more credit to him then, for so resolutely sticking to his determination to bring equal marriage about.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Jun 2013, 1:11pm

Can’t you even concede that he stuck his neck out to introduce this Bill, like him or not? What does it matter if he didn’t personally write it? That he endorses the statement is good enough for the majority of us who want this Bill passed into law. I will always be grateful to him for displaying leadership against the opposition in his own party. It took guts and courage to do it. I give him great credit for that.

1. St Sebastian 28 Jun 2013, 1:16pm

True Robert – like the saying ‘don’t bite the hand that feeds you’.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Jun 2013, 1:21pm

Exactly, St Sebastian. He didn’t have to do anything and I very much doubt if Miliband would have picked up the reins and ran with it? It was many months before he even endorsed it after Cameron made that historic announcement at the Tory conference in 2010. Labour to this day never made it official party policy, unlike the Liberal Democrats.

3. His lack of support from fellow MPs gives Cameron more credit for seeing this through.

But Cameron is misguided if he thinks legal equality alone will empower young LGBT people. Social prejudice needs to be addressed, and the most effective place to tackle it is schools. Standards on diversity and good sex and relationship education need to be enforced and teachers need the training. That won’t happen with the current government.

2. Merci Mr. Le Premier Ministre ! Thank you Mr. Cameron! Your leadership in this matter under great internal party duress made the difference. #samelove #loveislove #equalmarriage #equalmeansequal

3. I have never voted for the Conservatives, but on this issue I do think they can be proud of what they’ve managed to achieve, especially given the controversy it caused within their own party.

4. No he’s not. He’s a politically-expedient weathervane who points in whichever direction the wind’s blowing. Support for SSM is gathering momentum, so he climbs on board, fearing the Tories will be unelectable in the future if they don’t ‘get down with the kids,’ i.e. support progressive ideas. Mr Cameron would cheerfully guillotine the Queen in he thought it’d win votes!

1. St Sebastian 28 Jun 2013, 1:14pm

Rubbish, Cameron has taken some heat for sticking his neck out for us.

Anyway, lets just be glad he is helping us rather than hindering us.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Jun 2013, 1:24pm

Well said, St Sebastian. He certainly has stuck his neck out amidst fierce opposition from within his party. That’s true leadership, doing the right thing against the odds. Not many politicians would do the same. I would even go so far as to say that StonewallUK should give him an award after it passes..

2. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Jun 2013, 1:17pm

Really? He formed a government from a hung Parliament and announced Equal Marriage in the Equalities Contract in 2010 alongside the manifesto which to many in his party was political suicide given the enormous economic woes facing the country. There was no manifest national support for Equal Marriage prior to that. Give the man some credit, political expediency notwithstanding.

3. Sandgroper 28 Jun 2013, 1:24pm

You could do worse, he’s certainly better than Tony Abbott, leader of the Liberal Party (ironically named Conservative party in Australia). We can swap if you like :-)

4. So basically, whatever he does, he can’t win?

5. de Villiers 2 Jul 2013, 2:52pm

> Mr Cameron would cheerfully guillotine the Queen in he thought it’d win votes!

Like any politician then?

5. Some of these comments are so disheartening. It is a source of great disappointment and anger to me that some people think gay rights are the property of the Left and that no Conservative, no matter how dedicated, can ever do anything good for gay people.

I’m proud of, and grateful to, David Cameron and all those MPs that voted for same-sex marriage.

1. Hear hear!

Too many thick-headed Labour supporters i’ll bet.

1. St Sebastian 29 Jun 2013, 1:01am

Who cares where the support comes from. Stupidity is not restricted to those on the left or right. It would be better not to disparage the left or right as everyone is entitled to their political preference.

2. I fully admire and support the Prime Minister’s courageous stand on Equal Marriage in the face of strong opposition within his own party.

From a Labour supporter.

6. The Conservatives have a lot to answer for regarding historical attitudes towards gay rights, but that doesn’t mean they can’t change, nor that everything about them is 100% evil.

Whatever your political leanings, David Cameron *has* made real progress for gay rights in this country. Perhaps a majority Labour or LibDem government would have done the same, or more for our rights, but we can’t know that.

So, let’s celebrate and be grateful that we live in a country where even the right-wing Conservative party are passing pro-gay legislation!

7. Jock S. Trap 28 Jun 2013, 3:10pm

I applaud David Cameron. He said at the election he would look into marriage equality and that was one of the main reasons I voted for him. That’s despite what the likes of bigoted Peter Bone say.

I applaud the fact the he has stood up and not wavered despite too many in his party who moan and tried to scupper the Marriage bill.

I know we’re not quite there yet but he has shown true leadership, esp on this issue and his place in history will be signed.

8. David Cameron demonstrated true leadership on this issue. From his point of view it would have been easy to kick this into the long grass and avoid all the hassle he has been subjected to from members of his own party.

Whatever your political affiliation lets give credit to DC for his stand in very difficult circumstances.

9. LGBTory post bombers out in force today it seems…

Ha ha.

x

10. David Cameron will be seen as a true LGBT hero in the history books. A wonderful thing. cheers Cameron!

11. I voted for Cameron and got to admit it feels bloody great knowing the person I voted for legalised equal marriage! Amazing!

12. If Cameron ever gets kicked out, he is most welcome to take over the Conservative (Liberal (sic)) Party here in Aus. We would welcome him with open arms!

1. So tempting to swap Cameron for British born Abbott, but wouldn’t inflict him on anyone, well maybe George Dubbya.

13. I am a lefty who cannot stand Cameron but I have always taken my hat off to him over this. He has faced appalling disrespect and even treachery from the madder and nastier elements of his party both inside and outside Parliament but has soldiered on regardless. He has stuck to principle over equal marriage if over nothing else, and in the face of opposition the other party leaders have never had to deal with. Thank you, Prime Minister.

1. GulliverUK 1 Jul 2013, 9:02am

You’ve said exactly what I wanted to, so … Great Post ! :)

14. soapbubble 1 Jul 2013, 3:45pm

Although I don’t agree with a lot of his policies, especially his economic ideas, I do applaud him for standing firm on this issue and challenging all the old farts in the Tory party. Thanks Dave.

15. He’s also very proud of taking money off the poor..not building affordable housing…attacking pensioners money….staying in Iraq….all in a days work prime minister

1. de Villiers 2 Jul 2013, 3:00pm

In the UK, the top 1% pay 30% of the income tax.

If high taxes worked then France would be a paradise and the powerhouse of Europe.

1. Paul Halsall 7 Jul 2013, 1:16pm

They hide most of their income as Capital gains.

16. Colin (London) 2 Jul 2013, 10:46am

From the bottom of my heart I thank Prime Minister Mr Cameron.

With much controversy from within and outside his party he and others steered this through. I will remember this to the day I die and I hope we gay community can find a way to say a big THANK YOU to him and others.

Party’s came together, religions closed ranks, the media played games but it looks like it will happen.

On this one please look deeper than pre held political ideology and see the man with others who made this happen.

What a man in my book…what a man.

17. Paul Halsall 2 Jul 2013, 7:00pm

What about poor gay men with AIDS. He has made their lives a misery.

And yours too, since there is no safe sex education, and 50% of you will by HIV+ by 50.`

1. Paul Halsall 7 Jul 2013, 1:19pm

Gay Tories are disgusting.

I suppose that when they end up penniless, with AIDS, and no NHS or proper benefits system, they will deserve what they get.

18. I think we’d all do well to remember that politicians will say and do anything they feel the public is in majority favour of, and yes he might really be in favour of full equality but actions speak louder than words and to be honest gay marraige isn’t even high up on my list of issues regarding LGBTI in England. I think he’s just trying to get votes, like all politicians. I doubt he /really/ cares that much.

Just a couple of years back he was asked about gay marraige/gay rights in a 1-to-1 interview and COMPLETLEY avoided the question, fumbled around in his seat, quite embarassing. Cut to a couple of years later and he can’t seem to shut up about it and how in favour he is