Boris Johnson apologises for ‘up the Arcelor’ gay pride gala dinner joke after criticism by Labour MPs

1. Is he right to apologise? Perhaps. As a politician, I don’t think it’s the correct humour to use.

Having said that, I personally don’t find the joke offensive in anyway. As a gay man it is probably the kid of joke I would say had I thought of it in the first place.

Sometimes, people really do need to lighten up a little.

2. Some people really need a lighten up! Get a grip it was only a joke lol

1. fool.

You have to be really smart to act that stupid. The man said that gay marriage is =to bestiality 5 years ago didn’t have a miracalious change in attitude until he started to desire power. The man is a right wing charlatan

3. There are plenty of things that you can take a pop at Boris for; but this?!

It made me laugh. Is that something I need to aplogise for?

For pity’s sake, it was just a joke and his support for the Equal marriage Bill has been unequivocal.

4. That There Other David 27 Jun 2013, 11:58am

Politicians will always make faults from the words of their rivals. I thought it was quite funny to be honest.

5. I don’t think he did anything wrong.

Typical Boris blunder, but I believe he is on our side so it is unnecessary to call him out on something so silly.

6. jacqui.pollock 27 Jun 2013, 12:02pm

Dear me has the world gone completly mad, far to much political correctness, even a joke gets interpreted wrong. Grow up folks theres jokes about everything and everyone. Stop taking everything said to heart, my gran taught me sticks and stones can break ur bones but names will never hurt you. the morale is in that context .

7. He mean’t no offence and it was funny.

He now needs to say, Some people have a sense of humour, get over it. :-)

1. How do you know he meant no offence. I get away with murder playing dumb so does he

1. Your very angry James. Looking at your other posts, I don’t think it would matter what he said, you just don’t like him.

1. It’s true. The tory cuts closed a centre for disabled people and 2 have died so far. Vodafone Starbucks, topshop etc pay no tax and the poorest suffer with bedroom tax. I hate the tories

1. Jamas! : yes and the Tories (i..e. in this instance Boris) are of course also responsible for equal marriage rights. … (what did labour do again? equal, but not the same, so not recognised anywhere in the world …)

oh damn .. It hurts my brain so much to “change my mind” and become less “prejudiced” … no I’ll put on my old 1980s albums on loud and drown out the voice of progress.

Boris is a bit of a buffoon, but he is not a nasty homophobic man. His joke was quite funny actually … for him.

8. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Jun 2013, 12:06pm

No offence taken, Boris.

9. Boris has done nothing for London. When Ken was ion he started
    Crossrail
    bike hire
    east London line extension
    overground

boris has given us the cable car
    he also cancelled the tram from Peckham to Camden
    and the crystal palace extension.

He leaves office in 2015 and there will be nothing for the next mayor to inherit. Typical do nothing tory you fools are supporting a man who behind closed doors despises you

1. Patrick Mc Crossan 27 Jun 2013, 2:50pm

What a load of old rubbish. Ken Livingstone invited Muslim Clerics who said gays should be killed. You forgot to add that to your list. Boris is a great mayor. As a gay man I laughed at his joke. Some people clearly have nasty agendas

1. Thank you Patrick.
        This instant “Oh its Tory so we have to be against it” is getting so tired. People have moved on … except for a few old bigoted queens who can’t accept that the world has changed, (and -yes Labour used to be much better for gay people) , but can’t now these queens even can’t be open minded enough (even though they advocate to other people to do so) to see that people can change.

But hey …. that old lovey dovey type of socialist Britain that some people want is very good to use as long as they don’t have to take off their bigoted coloured sunglasses.

10. Aww how can you get offended by Boris hes a lovable Buffoon, i think hes great, and as a gay guy love it when str8 guys feel comfortable to joke with us, get a grip everyone!!

1. Pathetic. You’re happy to be the butt of jokes as you think straight men > gay.

2. Totally with you carlton.

3. as a gay guy love it when str8 guys feel comfortable to joke with us

Can you imagine a woman saying that about men. how pathetic and needy would she sound

1. Now that is vicious – take your misogyny elsewhere luv

11. I think the quote is actually “up the ars-en-al”. Hence the pun.

12. I didn’t think it was a funny joke. Not out of any sense of priggishness because I couldn’t care less how bawdy or rude anyone – politician or otherwise – wants to be. But I do think there’s a problem that public discourse about gay people – even when it’s coming from people who support our rights – automatically has to start going on about the funny sex we have. You can see this on a programme like The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, a show which campaigns endlessly for gay equality but still makes a lot of jokes based on gay stereotypes. It’s supposed to be “we can all laugh at it together” I know, but to me it still feels like they’re still saying “you’re equal and everything and that’s cool but haha you’re still weird”.

Not that I think the people who find it funny are bigots or anything. To be honest I thought the stupidest thing in the original article was that he opened Pride with a speech mostly dedicated to the Olympics… ?

1. Rudehamster 27 Jun 2013, 11:46pm

Oh, lighten up.

2. I don’t really care if people think I’m weird as long as they don’t try to hurt me over it. I know who I am and people whom I care about know who I am, and that’s what really matters. What some stranger thinks doesn’t matter all that much as long as they are civil.

13. It was a perfectly harmless and cute joke, love Boris. No apology required.

14. The context is everything, and in this case perfectly acceptable.

Chris and Angela, lighten up. You make yourselves look like humourless stick-in-the muds.

Boris, you may not be the greatest mayor of London, but you make us laugh. Keep telling the jokes.

15. Officer Dribble 27 Jun 2013, 2:40pm

People ‘walked out’???

Seriously? Ab-so-lutely pathetic. Here’s how I see it…I have straight mates who with drop gay puns on me, and I will hit them back with vagina jokes (there are many).

We all know that it’s without malice, and they get as good as they give.

The context within which Boris made the joke is key here.

Sounds like a few people have had a senseofhumourectomy.

16. He is still preoccupied with buggery. This was one occasion when lesbians should be grateful for their invisibility!

17. Poor Boris; if it isn’t Liverpool it’s Claridges!
    He just can’t help putting his foot right in it, can he?
    At least, he’s Gay friendly, supports Pride financially and does all sorts of silly things just to get a laugh and be noticed.
    History is littered with buffoons such as Boris; just pat him on the head and tell him that din din’s ready!

18. Jock S. Trap 27 Jun 2013, 2:44pm

I don’t think he needed to apologise just because some have a serious lacking (Ms Eagle) in the sense of humour department.

Of course it’s in Ms Eagle interests to smear and jump on anything to make it political. It’s Labour’s way at present.

1. The real story here is that she slandered Borris here, trying to make out he said something questionable.
      So she ran straight to the news to publish it as widely as possible.

Where’s the apology from Angela Eagle?
      Typical Labour tactics. Slander the competition and refuse to apologise

19. theotherhalf 27 Jun 2013, 2:52pm

so two people from the brown government want to tell us about their commitment to queer rights?

this will be the same people who sat in government with a man who ruled out discussion on queer marriage, who stripped rights for trans*people, who introduced a law allowing schools to teach that homosexuality is sinful and who introduced laws on workplace bullying so full of holes it was worthless?

yea right

i found the joke funny

20. johnhbblyttle 27 Jun 2013, 2:52pm

Made me laugh in a sniggery schoolboy fashion. Big shrug otherwise.

21. Michael Mason 27 Jun 2013, 2:52pm

When it comes to politics, I’d love to see Boris elected again (but as Mayor of Moscow…)

When it comes to the man, I confess he puts a smile on my face and so did this bit of ribaldry.

I go back to the GLF days when jokes like these were simply designed to sneer, mock in an attempt to put us back in our place. I think it’s cause for jubilation that the same type of joke was delivered to a largely gay audience with the obvious intent of amusing them.

Whether you think the joke funny or not, we should take heart from its being made this way.

22. Boris you don’t need to apologise for anything. I’m not a fan of the conservatives…but I’ve always liked Boris. It’s not his fault some people lack a funny bone!

23. It was a funny comment and it made me laugh.

What is annoying is that he’s felt that he needed to apologise because of those po faced Labour politicians who need to lighten up and get a sense of humour.

Maybe they should take sight of their leader, that should get a laugh.

24. Patrick Lyster-Todd 27 Jun 2013, 3:09pm

Well, I was there and it was hilarious. Cheap shot by Chris and Angela – who I otherwise admire.

25. Roland Chesters 27 Jun 2013, 3:41pm

It’s politics. Both Angela and Chris are opposition MPs. Any aopportunity. Tha’s all.

26. Oh get over it.

27. I think it’s fine for him to make that joke; people need to be able to laugh at them selves and those who can’t, ought to be laughed at. So what if some hyper sensitives can’t tell the difference between a joke and something worse? As Stephen Fry said, saying you find something offensive is just a whine, and who should care about that?

28. Boris is a nasty, crass, little minded man; why he was elected mayor in the first place still amazes me

29. Stephen Mole 27 Jun 2013, 6:50pm

Makes me think of Derek…
    “What dear gay dear me dear no dear. Are you insinuating just because I’m married to a man that I take it up the Arcelor? Well I find you impertinent”.

Let’s chill out a bit.

30. Just because he is in favour of gay rights and didn’t mean to take the piss out of gay people in saying this doesn’t mean it’s an acceptable thing for him to say.

If he were a comedian it would be ok. But he’s not, he’s an MP. By saying this joke he’s (unintentionally) belittling gay people. It gives the impression of ”I’m all for equal rights for gay people, but at the end of the day you’re still queer, and you’re pretty weird to be honest”.

It also is saying that although gay people may deserve equal rights, ultimately straight people are superior and more ”normal”. That wasn’t his intention, but that’s still the message that the joke sends.

31. Rudehamster 27 Jun 2013, 11:53pm

You’ve misspelt unhygenic. Oh, and it’s AIDS, you illiterate turd.

From your fetid little hole under that stone, I don’t suppose you’ve ever heard of heterosexuals having anal sex, have you?

Just why have you got access to Pink News anyway? Just to complain and moan about those of us that are actually having sex, I suppose. Off you go and pull your pud to a Daily Mail headline. That’s about your level.

32. So the lbt of the lgbt are missing too. Imagine if he said something about carpet munchers or or made a cliched joke about transsexuals. I’m not convinced that he cares

33. Current Labour Party policy is to exploit any opportunity to score a cheap political point. This is in the absence of any actual policy framework for when elected. It’s tiresome and tedious, and bad politics.

Angela Eagle is also a deeply humourless person if you’re ever heard her speak.

I’m tired of the Islington Taliban taking offence in my name, especially for silly jokes i’d hear in any gay london pub any night of the week.

34. As Boris went to Eton, I thought he would have heard enough buggery jokes…….