Boris Johnson opens Pride with joke about gay men taking their future husbands ‘up the Arcelor’

1. Stay classy, Boris.

2. It was a joke in good humour. I don’t think Boris meant anything offensive by it so i sure hope there aren’t any out there who kick up a fuss about this (Other than Labour MPs of course who will)

Boris is an ally
    Save the flaming for those who deserve it

1. I don’t know. I’m kind fed-up with all this jokes. Too many jokes make it seem like LGBT rights are not as important as the rights of other minority. You have to recognize that when people talk about gay rights, even if in a positive way, it always in a too jokingly way.
      Sorry for my English.

2. Boris tended to vote against LGBT rights when he was an MP and compared same-sex relationships to bestiality in one of his books. I realise he has made some platitudes since then, but I don’t see how he qualifies as an “ally”.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 26 Jun 2013, 6:26pm

I give him a pass. We can all laugh at ourselves now and then. I don’t find his joke offensive at all.

Now, I wonder where he gets that we’ll be able to marry in the autumn from once the Marriage Bill is passed? I was under the impression it would be a year from the date it’s signed into law? Hopefully it is the autumn.

4. The joke is very much in the style of the jokes Jonathan Ross used to make about his house band on BBC One every Friday night -

5. No problem, as far as I’m concerned, provided that the next time he attends, or just refers to, any particular wedding between a woman and a man, he makes a sexual joke about the marrying couple, complete with anatomical references, to the assembled company.

1. Isn’t that the best man’s job?

1. barriejohn 27 Jun 2013, 8:43am

Very funny! Why flamed?

6. Strange how now that he is the Mayor and needs votes, he doesnt go round likening gay marriage to bestiality anymore. Funny that…

7. DivusAntinous 26 Jun 2013, 6:37pm

Anybody who complains about that is just a whiney twit to be frank.

1. I wouldn’t dignify it with a complaint.

8. well lets face it ..its boris..we have come to expect nothing less!

9. Gah.. he’s supporting us.. he’s earned the right to use the same kind of jokes we gays use amongst each other, often cruder!

10. doesnt chnange anything
    still a twat

11. Next Prime Minister type of twat?

12. Poor Angela. No sense of humour.

13. If you hate women as much as your childish and misogynist insult suggests then keep your sexism to yourself – we don’t want to see it on here.

Boris won two democratic elections – 100′s of thousands of Londoners elected him. How many elections have you won pv?

14. 1. It is Boris. What did you expect? 2. The ability to laugh at yourself is very important. 3. He has had the courage to change his viewpoint.

1. Gay men committing to same partner for life? Now THAT’S the joke!

15. I suspect the same people complaining about this are the same joyless ultra-leftists that think ‘Vicious’ is homophobic.

16. LarryDubyaJay 27 Jun 2013, 8:39am

£250 to hear Doris speechifying on Pride … You’ll have to pay me far more than that – oh hang on …

17. barriejohn 27 Jun 2013, 8:52am

He’s a revolting man who will say just about anything if he thinks that it will aid in his relentless self-promotion. I have no idea what his real principles are (he remains a Tory, of course, but is as evasive as possible when anyone tries to actually pin him down), and I’m far from convinced that he is truly on our side. That apart, the joke, even if innocently meant, was not really appropriate for someone in his position, but what does one expect from him now?

1. Now this is the truth of it; he’s no different from any other politician who uses gay people to ‘pinkwash’ their image.

18. LarryDubyaJay 27 Jun 2013, 8:57am

19. Colin Kavanagh 27 Jun 2013, 10:16am

For Boris, this joke is progress from the days he compared homosexuality to bestiality

20. Jock S. Trap 27 Jun 2013, 10:24am

Good ol Boris. He speaks in the interest of us and I laughed at the joke. It was not offensive nor worthy of such a story considering he has supported us and marriage equality.

I’m glad also he mentioned Peter Tatchell, though I’m not a fan he deserved the mention and for Boris to admit Peter encouraged him to support is excellent. It shows Boris is indeed worthy of Major and I hope a lot more!

21. Should I be really surprised that so many comments seem to be pro Boris? After all he commissioned the organization which is now organizing Pride and which organized the posh Gala Dinner at the Claridges. The chair of the new Pride organization is aid to David Cameron and other board members are linked to Think-Thanks, Resource and research agencies and corporate business. In other words the section 28 party runs Pride and everyone is happy. Now that is classy. What next? As for Boris’ joke, one of his mental vomit he spills out every so often.

22. Boris is a Tory.

Over 50% of Tory MP’s are gay hating homophobic scum.

Let’s all remember that.