Brighton: Anti-equal marriage ex-Green councillor to debate issue with pro-gay Tory MP

1. In other words
    “YOU can’t get married because it’s against MY personal religious beliefs”

Christina Summers said,“When you touch marriage, you’re touching family, and you’re hitting at the very heart of God, and I have an enormous problem with that.”

The usual tiresome religious tyranny.

1. floridahank 21 Jun 2013, 3:20am

No, it’s not only against her personal religious beliefs….it’s against the religious beliefs of millions of people world wide. When a 3% of a population demands a change, it doesn’t mean that the other 97% should simply give in to it because you think you’re in the right. There’s much more issue than simply letting homosexuals who want to change one’s religious beliefs.

1. following your logic you agree that countries like pakistan are right to deny christians their right to practise their faith, because as you say ‘…it doesn’t mean that 97% (according to wikipedia, 97% people in pakistan are muslim) should simply give in to it because you christians think they are in the right.

2. 3%? 97%?

What 3%, and what 97% are you talking about because nearly every poll I have seen shows the majority being in favour of gay marriage?

3. “letting homosexuals who want to change one’s religious beliefs.”

I don’t want to change anyone’s religious beliefs, I just don’t want you telling me how to live my life.

You can believe in fairies, and magic bread, and magic wine, and genocide, and mass murder, and the oppression of women, and slavery, child sacrifice, bringing the dead back to life, and that two of every living thing fitted on a wooden boat, and that women were made from a rib of a man, the world is flat, the sun actually revolves around the earth and that dinosaurs were walking around at the same time as humans.

JUST KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! Because really you are only embarassing yourself and making us pity you you poor deluded fool.

4. Jock S. Trap 21 Jun 2013, 9:12am

Shame your missing that fact the majority of the 97% (Your claim) agree with the move or else it wouldn’t be happening at all.

Nobody is change anyone’s beliefs. Actions… well that different. We are all humans after all.

5. Metsän poika 21 Jun 2013, 9:43am

How very dare you! Your soul is your business and my soul is mine. I don’t tell you who or how you should love so don’t tell me who and how I should love. Membership of a church is voluntary so your rules only apply to your members. Churches/religion are separate from the state, the churches do not own the agenda or law making, so back off and leave the law making to institutions that are required to respect equality.

I respect your right to your beliefs, but your rights does not extend to telling me how to live my life. I am happy if religion brings you some kind of comfort or re-assurance but it makes no sense to me, I do’t feel superior and neither do I expect to tell you how you to live your life. How I conduct my life in private has no impact on you, so BACK OFF, I do not need saving, you do not need to save my, just get on with your own life minding your own business.

6. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Jun 2013, 12:36pm

Nobody is forcing any religious loon to change his or her beliefs since it doesn’t affect their ability to worship, continue marrying in their churches or procreating for those who can. The only people it affects are gay people. Until the Archbishop of Canterbury and his church renounce belief in the marriage of one man and one woman, nobody’s beliefs will have changed. His church is banned from recognising or participating in the new law. Now the onus is on you to prove to us just how beliefs have been changed or forced to change?

We have in our country Government sponsored public consultations. The Equal Marriage consultation was the longest in history and the majority of the British public (53%) responded favourably. So the 97% you mention is mendacious at best.

2. “When you touch marriage, you’re touching family, and you’re hitting at the very heart of God, and I have an enormous problem with that”

Chimpanzees have families too. I wonder if they think god made them?

3. “YOU can’t get married because it’s against MY personal religious beliefs”

Jesus Christ, just leave us alone and mind your own business!

2. ah yes god, the imaginary entity that christians claim to speak for. Obviously being omnipotent he cant speak for himself. Loons

1. Metsän poika 21 Jun 2013, 10:08am

To paraphrase Zizek: what reality are we obscuring when we use a language of fantasy?

3. ho yes god is gay as well did you not no that” sod your religious beliefs , I don’t put my religious beliefs rammed down your thought just get a life .

1. Beelzeebub 20 Jun 2013, 9:23pm

Well. There god has no wife but yet has a son.

Maybe a bit of turkey basting going on with the she gods of Lesbos.

4. Its come to something when a so called “green MP” wishes to debate our human rights against us with a Tory MP on our side.

Clearly this woman jumped on the “Green Party” in order to get herself a freeloading position of power.

Once the party and constituents she aligned herself to realized the poison that she is, dumped her forthwith.

And PS. Honey.

There is NOTHING to debate.

I am.

By my birth creation.

You are what you have become by your indoctrination and your failure to recognize it as such.

5. Tony Heaver 20 Jun 2013, 10:45pm

God has a heart?…..really

6. He’s wasting his breath debating with that spinster of the parish.

7. deluded woman

8. “She’s back” Just like in ‘Alien’!

9. Enrique Esteban 21 Jun 2013, 7:23am

PLS, SIGN TO SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE IN ROMANIA:
    Help to sign: prenume=first name; nume=family name; oras=city; tara=country.
    You’ll receive a mail and have to click on 2nd link to confirm.

10. Honestly- whats the point??

11. Good luck with that one, as the old saying goes, a leopard never changes its spots!

12. Tiresome. All she will do is trot out biblical nonsense.

13. “YOU can’t get married because it’s against MY personal religious beliefs”

Jesus Christ, just leave us alone and mind your own business!

14. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Jun 2013, 12:28pm

Ms. Summers, FYI….civil marriage in the UK wasn’t invented by your fictitious sky pixie but by the state in the 19th century to allow adulterous sinners, divorced people to remarry without the interference of religious loons like you.

We can expect Sharon James to invoke the declining marriage rates in Argentina, Spain, Holland and elsewhere since the introduction of equal marriage. Same old crap.

The result of this debate will be Kirby 1, and loser Summers, 0.

15. CH Brighton 21 Jun 2013, 3:27pm

I hope someone probes the origins of ‘Dr’ James’s doctorate. The last time I checked, the evangelical bible-reading school where ‘Dr’ James studied in Canada offered no degrees above masters level.

16. maria wells 21 Jun 2013, 5:08pm

The definition of the word ‘marriage’ includes the aspect that it is between a man and a woman. Gay couples are already protected in civil partnerships. Why are gay couples so insistent on getting married?

1. marriage is not between a man & a woman its all about love between two people no matter what there gender is .

17. Actually she was expelled from the party because of her voews – she did not resign in protest – and good riddance

18. Maria. I guess some homosexuals desire to get married for many of the same reasons heterosexuals do. Pretty obvious methinks. :)