South Africa: Gay imam spreads message of empowerment when it comes to homosexuality and Islam

1. While I greatly respect his attempts for more understanding and respect, it can’t be easy being in his position, I just fail to understand it. This is not Islam specific but applies to most religions based on religious doctrine.

The books are clear about condemning a truckload of behaviour, only little which seems justified (murder, burglary, etc).
    The condemnation of minorities, women and behaviours which are normal… it takes tremendous stretching of the mind to make it appear affirmative to diversity.

I understand having faith, the need for believing in something bigger, an unifying creating force. I will however never understand how compassionate and open-minded people can devote their lives to religions of which its doctrine and largely leadership disagrees. Only thing I can come up with is having been raised within that religion from birth and being in a community that oppresses truly free thought. Correct me if I’m wrong but I just don’t get this.

1. Tribalism and “family” (or “community”) values. Very very powerful influences on most people’s lives.

2. Perhaps it’s just coincidental that most religious people are adherents of the faith they were indoctrinated in, or brought up with?

What happened to Thor and Wotan and the thousands of other gods?

1. Christopher n Canada 20 Jun 2013, 11:59am

They became comic book characters…

2. Helge Vladimir Tiller 19 Jun 2013, 6:16pm

I’m going to listen to this imam on Sunday here in Oslo ( Pride). Interesting ! Since I’m an atheist, it is valuable for me to understand his view. I do wish more muslims could be open about their homosexuality. instead of living in their closets.

3. Actually, there is no word in the vocabulary of classical Islamic Arabic which refers to same-gender love. Various words and phrases in the Qur’an and ahadith have been interpreted as referring to same-gender love. However, they have other applications which make more sense when one understands the history and context in which they delivered or to which they refer when narrating a history. A new interpretation of these passages by scholars such as Scott Kugle refers to the fact that the people of Sodom and Gomorrah were extremely selfish and used various terror tactics to avoid having to be charitable to travellers. Among those tactics was rape. However, those people were condemned for their selfishness, violence, and terrorism. No-one in that community was trying to take a loved one to the temple to get married. They were beating people up, robbing them, torturing them, and murdering them. And those were their sins – not love.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 19 Jun 2013, 7:29pm

Thanks a lot for Your information, Freedom2B. This is valuable for so many persons .I promise to take part in the discussion here i Oslo, with an open mind – full of love for LGBTQ-persons-of whatever race ( OF COURSE !) or religious belief ! LOVE from Oslo !

2. Jon "maddog" Hall 20 Jun 2013, 12:51am

Various Biblical scholars today feel that *every* reference to same-sex “love” was really same-sex rape, done to humiliate the “bottom” by making them feel like a woman. If this is the case, then it is easy to understand why it was an abomination.

3. This passes for a “new” interpretation? This is what Judaism has taught for at least 2 millenia about the cities of the Plain.

1. Do many forms of Judaism rely solely on Leviticus for bigotry towards gays, then?

4. Hendricksi is a brace man. Good luck to him – he’s got a tough time ahead, I fear.

1. *brave

5. GingerlyColors 20 Jun 2013, 6:39am

Muhsin Hendricksi should teach all those other African countries from Algeria to Zimbabwe a lesson or two in tolerance.
    The Q’uran and the Holy Bible for that matter, do not refer to homosexuality specifically and they don’t use the word either. The word ‘homosexual’ was not coined until 1869 by the Austrian-born novelist Karl-Maria Kertbeny – long after both holy books were written.

6. I’ve quoted from & told many friends about this wonderful man for a good 5 or so years now….I wish he would come to England & talk.

Has anyone seen his interview with a Gay black pastor on youtube? Its superb.

7. Christopher in Canada 20 Jun 2013, 12:04pm

Oh, for Pete’s sake, go here! A primitive world attempting to understand a massive natural phenomena! The sexual practices of a population have nothing to do with anything, much less a punishment from the Flying Spaghetti Monster!!!

1. Diana Hodson 20 Jun 2013, 7:17pm

having lived in a Muslim community, & being witness to daily incidences of Islamaphobia in UK, am under belief everyone needs to forget about such pointless divisions in whatever part of life this prejudice is apparent, Whilst teaching in Tanzania, i found girl students were extremely close to one another, as were the males amongst themselves too. At the time my Western feminism did not go down a treat, however, since, on further scrutiny of Koran & its teachings, there is no mention there that women are inferior to men, & this is just a mis-representation of it’s teachings, As above is stated, no mention of homosexuality in Koran either, so Koran is not to blame, nor is Christian Bible, LGBT Christians groups are quite prolific here in UK. (Any in Islamic states ?)

8. Well, from my experience, “something bigger”, as enrico posted, ends up becoming “something lower”, as in, “practical”, down-to-earth. Yes, I´ve been into to the whole metaphysical deal, from kabbalah to pretty much everything, and while I always used it, religion and spirituality, as a means to distract me from real life, I succeeded in short term, and faleid in long. As enrico well said, “something higher” really is, or comes to be something very simple and not at all out-of-this-world. We are, as spirit, bound to our bodies – there´s no escape from that. So whatever we do, or try to, it always comes down to that – what is good for us – spiritually,and physically, which, to be True, have to be the one and the same, so, no shame in homosexuality or whatever – you are your body, and that is the gateway to what is callled spirituality, happiness and fulfilment. It´s just not always the common way, hetero, or what – the soul is not bound to that anyway – it is only bound to feel good.

9. Mark Cross 25 Jun 2013, 1:32pm

I have seen the excellent documentary, “A Jihad for Love”, which features several LGBT individuals in a dozen different (mostly Muslim) nations. Mr. Hendricksi was one of those individuals featured.

10. Adam Connor 8 Aug 2013, 3:42pm

what about gay marriage? have any muslim clerics talk about it?