Brazil: Lawmakers approve bill which would remove ban on ‘gay cure’ therapy

1. The bible – all the dogma that is fit to wipe your arse on. I am so sick of the influence of this rancid little eschatological death cult and the simple-minded cretins that follow it.

1. I agree with most of your message, though I wouldn’t want to wipe my arse with the bible. My sh*t would probably get offended at the idea of staining something as ridiculous as the bible.

2. Colin (London) 19 Jun 2013, 6:57am

Brazil a great country please do not take a step backwards.

See religion for what it is..a way of controlling people.

Embrace a diverse, inclusive society and see what riches of culture, tolerance, wealth, opportunities, leadership, thinking it can bring. Show the world and have them think…how can we learn from you.

Your country is a major player today. Embrace a future..not the backward past.

1. Thanks for the message. I am Brazilian. :)

3. PLEASE, SIGN TO SUPPORT EQUAL MARRIAGE IN ROMANIA:
    Help to sign: prenume=first name; nume=family name; oras=city; tara=country.
    You’ll receive a mail and have to click on 2nd link to confirm.

4. Homophobes using religion as an excuse to torment gay people is particularly sick, right minded Christians should oppose these anti-gay bigots who cheapen the teachings of Jesus and bring Christianity into disrepute.

5. Such discouraging news, I have always been amazed at how Brazil was more liberal than I imagined… now I am not to sure!

Some people believe what they want to imagine is possible I guess!

1. And misguided tyrants like pastor Marco Feliciano ignore soundly researched and legitimate medical and scientific opinion while using their position of authority to try to impose what they imagine upon other people.

6. Chill guys it’s just a commitee in Feliciano’s party,pastor Feliciano’s party only has 17/513 seats in the Brazilian Parliament and 1/81 inthe Brazilian Senate.It’s unlikely to pass

1. That There Other David 19 Jun 2013, 10:07am

Indeed. Felicidad can wave his magic wand all he likes, he’s unlikely to get the support he needs for this to get through the Brazilian Parliament.

2. Colin (London) 20 Jun 2013, 8:41am

Thanks for that Chris

7. I find it ironic that Feliciano is head of Human Rights & Minorities.

Brazil cannot and should not take this step backwards.

1. We got warsi as minister for communities in this country, so a similar dilemma.

8. Charliej95 19 Jun 2013, 8:55am

Argentina may be stupid in its views for the Falklands. But at least there president fully supports LBGT rights and advocates fully to push for further rights.

9. Jock S. Trap 19 Jun 2013, 9:10am

Absolutely disgusting.

Isn’t it amazing what some heterosexuals will class as a ‘disorder’ to make themselves look powerful… or so they think.

But that’s reality it’s bible bashing heterosexuals who are making us into a ‘disorder’ to satisfy there ego’s, nothing more.

It’s a massive step backwards and who are these straight people to judge anyway. It’s as if they have nothing better to do that spew their discrimination.

It’s wrong and it’s damaging and yet I very much doubt they will accept responsibility for the inevitable suicides that will follow. The blood is firmly on their hands.

Religion has too much to answer for.

1. Why do you assume Feliciano is hetrosexual – most hetrosexual people I know who are at peace with THEIR sexuality have no difficulty with acceptance of gay people – perhaps the pastor is troubled by thoughts of same sex attraction (although primarily opposite sex attracted) and is not at peace with his “god given” sexual orientation.
      He sounds like a seriously troubled individual.

10. Religious conditioning is VERY powerful. ‘Give me the child until he is seven …’ etc. If, because of this disgusting and damaging brainwashing, some gay people feel they need to be ‘cured’, then they should be allowed to seek psychiatric help. The psychiatrists should then do all in their power to re-programme the person, telling them they should accept themselves for who they are.

1. keith francis farrell 19 Jun 2013, 8:10pm

sure I agree with you, but what is to stop misguided parents from forcing their children to undergo conversion theraphy, and maybe the next step is those children killing themselves or worse yet getting murdered bt their church

11. They would do better to find a cure for stupidity!

12. I assume Brazil, like most other countries, will have a professional body representing psychologists. If so, those who use unapproved techniques will probably be struck off.

13. I am Brazilian and all this situation is completely disgusting and embarrassing. We got most of our rights, such as full marriage equality through the judiciary. I don’t expect the lawmakers to do much in favor of equality. However, I can assure this bill will not make it through the legislative process. This pastor is insane and most brazilians (except for the evangelicals who elected him) see him as a real threat to the country.

1. Well, he is not actually a threat. Truth is everyone is sick and tired of this pastor. He’s actually a bad joke.

14. There is nothing in the codes of conduct and ethics of phsycoligists or phsychitrists to prevent them giving treatment to help their patients overcome the cognitative dissonance created by their sexuality and their attachment to a harmfull belief system, it is essentially helping them explore in a safe enviroment their thoughts and to accept their sexuality whether that be gay straight or bisexuality or even gender confusion allied to those. At root of this is the understanding that sexuality is innate and religion is learned or at worst indoctrinated.
    This is what these religious fanatics are opposed to, flying in the face of decades of peer reviewed research and science.
    I realise I am speaking to the aware here, but it is sometimes good just to put it down in print.

1. floridahank 19 Jun 2013, 4:39pm

You apparently know nothing of the power of Jesus Christ and what he has done and can do. All you look at is religion even that called Christianity, which in most cases doesn’t even understand the Truth of Jesus Christ.
      While most of human nature does terrible things to its fellow man, there is an essence of goodness in man but it has to be brought out by following God, not mankind’s god, which is simply following pleasure and self-indulgence.

Psychiatrists are mainly atheists, pagans or simply ignorant of Jesus Christ and that’s why they continue to say “once a homosexual, always a homosexual” — and they have no idea of how a true cure can be found and used successfully, The secular world is one-dimensional, it is totally ignorant of the power of the spiritual world. A homosexual who is unhappy with his sexual thoughts and behavior can change all that, but only with following the path of Jesus Christ, not some man-made method, even though it’s well-intended.

1. keith francis farrell 19 Jun 2013, 8:20pm

You are one sick puppy. words fail me. I do believe in god but not orginised religion, simply because your orginised religion has lost its was and only knows how to preach hate and hurt.
        Go read your bible then tell me where god gives you the right to take aways other people equal rights and to force your will on them. Then I will belive you, until then you are one very sick person that needs medical help, maybe some shock therapy will help you

2. You need to seek some some professional help before you harm yourself or someone else.
        Not all religious people are fanatics but when you contemplate harm to others as you have done above I would seriously suggest you seek help.

15. Murilo Venturini 19 Jun 2013, 3:46pm

I am ashamed of being brazilian, how could they approve that bill? That’s RIDICULOUS… Who chose that stupid Feliciano to be a member of committee? He’s stupid.

16. keith francis farrell 19 Jun 2013, 8:05pm

This is stupid, everyone knows that being gay is not curable because no one is sick. It is just those mad regisiouse nutters that think they can cure34 people of being gay by using torture. well this contravense human rights. sorry about my spelling

17. This pastor Marco Feliciano is no Desmond Tutu (Who I incidently greatly admire for his spirituality and forthright proclamation of humanity and decency – although I do not have his religious belief).
    It is very regretable and I feel sad for the Brazilian people that their house of representatives have seen fit to appoint as their human-rights representative a very prejudiced and religiously biased man who seems to have little understanding of the human person. I hope he is not successful in stiring up hatred against his fellow humans. This is an evil and deluded man who has not thought through the results of his actions.