New Zealand: Rugby star apologises after tweeting the word ‘fag’

1. Maybe its just me but I fail to see where he actually apologised for the remark. In fact his so called”apology” smacks of arrogance.

If football and other sporting organisations are serious about tackling homophobia they need to start making examples of players who display homophobic behaviour.

2. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 17 Jun 2013, 3:12am

This is unacceptable behaviour from a rugby player. I happen to like rugby (I do not play rugby – but I do watch the game because I like masculinity!).

Calling someone a “fag” might of been OK 20 years ago, but NOT TODAY!

Calling someone a “fag” is NOT masculine behaviour, because Stephanie Rice the swimmer said the same thing! And lost sponsorship from several companies.

He should be fined $30,000 and banned from playing any rugby for 30 days and the money should go to Marriage Equality Australia -a group here in Australia to lobby and fight for marriage equality in Australia, because since 2004 same-sex marriage has been banned here in AUstralia and It is time that the Auatralian Marriage Act 1961 allowed marriage equality in 2013! In-line with France, New Zealand, Uruguay, Brazil, Norway, etc.

1. I agree with everything except “Calling someone a “fag” might of been OK 20 years ago, but NOT TODAY!”

It has never been acceptable.

1. I think he probably meant socially acceptable. Which it definitely was. Wrongly.

2. You do NOT fine someone $30,000 for using the word “fag” or ANY other word. We do not live in Stalin’s Russia. Grow up.

1. Ok then.

What about n1gger.
        What about sp@z.

Both equally as offensive.

Lines have to be drawn somewhere if we expect to coexist peacefully.

3. I think the quotation marks in the headline should have been around “apologized” instead of “fag”.

Perhaps it’s a difference in English English, New Zealand English and American English but as one who speaks American English I would in no way consider that an apology. It sounded more like, “don’t get your panties in a wad just because I chose a certain word”. That sounds more like an “F— you” than an apology.

4. Michael Stevens 17 Jun 2013, 4:18am

It wasn’t an apology, it was more a “chill out” response.

It’s probably typical of a lot of young men in their 20s in NZ. It’s thoughtless, ignorant and harmful but a lot of them wouldn’t see why or how. The NZ Rugby Union has tried to distance itself from him but not in very strong terms.

The best thing about it was that it was on twitter so it kicked off a strong response almost straight away.

But as long as All Blacks are seen as gods here in NZ we are going to have this sort of problem.

5. These sort of outbursts indicate an insecurity about his sexuality and masculinity.

6. Living up to his name, Dagg – from Wikipedia Dag means ” In Australia, it is often used as an affectionate insult[1] for someone who is, or is perceived to be, unfashionable, lacking self consciousness about their appearance and/or with poor social skills yet affable and amusing. In New Zealand, it is used to describe an amusing, quirky and likeable person (as in, “He’s a bit of a dag”) and is non-pejorative. The term was more widely used in the 70s due to the popular New Zealand comedy of ‘Fred Dagg’.”

7. Colin (London) 17 Jun 2013, 7:00am

You know I accept your comments but…….I spend a reasonable amount of time in NZ over the last 25 years. To me although not 100% politically correct I’m not offended by this. When can we laugh at ourselves and celebrate our difference.

My Kiwi nephews used to use the word Gay. To them it meant “Good great” just as “Pants” has a negative connotation.

Yes he should apologise but leave it there please. We have more important issues to face.

Today Parliament from 3.30pm support SSM. I’ll be there.

1. Colin, it may come as a great shock to you, but some of us can actually chew gum and walk at the same time.

It also may come as a great surprise to you but this isn’t all about YOU. Nor does the word “fag” used by a straight man as an insult about “celebrating diversity” or “laughing at ourselves”. This is about kids who are fearful and struggling with homophobia and bullying and feeling helpless and hopeless hearing their heroes join in in the homophobia and bullying. It’s about ignorance that poses a real and present danger to the most vulnerable in our society.

I commend you for your activism for marriage equality, I do the same here in the States, but I encourage you to consider that ALL of these battles are legitimate and necessary and to some, particularly kids, the ignorant words of a sports hero is more important here and now than whether or not they will be able to marry some day.

8. Israel Dagg?
    A dagg is what New Zealanders call the soiled part of the fleece round a sheep’s bottom and tail where poo gets caught in the wool and dangles

9. JackAlison 17 Jun 2013, 9:59am

dont worry
    he’ll cum undone
    nxt thing he’ll b in court having assaulted someone …raped a woman or 2 or beat up his gf.
    these ‘chill out’ types are all the same
    and at the heart of it is not only homophobia but an intense hatred of women and misogyny. the problem is totally at the feet of clubs and sponsors….we can allow for rough an tumble in the game but more an more we are seeing unprovoked punching and real physical damage to each other on the field….its what we mortals call ASSAULT….but its becoming an accepted regular occurance..the response is usually a slap on the wrist cause
    ‘boys will b boys?!’

10. No sportsman uses the word fag in print without knowing the effect it will have. There has been lots of publicity surrounding other incidents and apologies. He’s just a pig. The “apology” was inadequate.

11. Off topic, but this just in from the Daily Hate.

Stick equal marriage up yer @rse. I no longer want it.

12. He didn’t apologise. He essentially told people that they shouldn’t be annoyed, upset or offended about the fact that he used that word.

A proper and more sincere apology is in order.

13. darkmoonman 17 Jun 2013, 3:28pm

Wrong choice of word? For what? The public, but in private it’s okay? It’s a word that came too easily to his m ind, obviously. And this from someone in the USA would be called a n1gger. Woops, My bad. I meant “person of color”. Smile now.

14. I was taught a phrase by a dear friend, an African American woman, many years ago, and it holds true today. “Be careful of what you say and to whom you say it, because it takes a fool to make a fool act the fool.”

It pretty much covers any “unintended slips of the tongue”. Epithets are epithets and there is nothing accidental about them.

1. Derek Colebrook 18 Jun 2013, 5:12am

I don’t play rugby either but I watch it because I of all ” the hunks” that play the game.
      Israel Dagg’s apology was far from adequate but he looks ” hot ” !

15. I just lost all the respect I had for Israel Dagg. Wow.