Daily Mail’s Andrew Pierce: I’m called a ‘homophobe’ and ‘Uncle Tom’ for opposing equal marriage

1. You wouldn’t be called a bigot just for opposing equal marriage. And a civil partnership isn’t the same, that’s the whole point.

If you had 11 gay friends over, I still wouldn’t trust your statistics, because they are obviously like-minded people, and not a cross section of all gay people.

1. All 11 of his “gay friends” also work at the Daily Mail. Well, all but one; the one who was undecided. He’s American and works at Fox News.

2. So, if someone said to you, Andrew, “I’m afraid you can’t have the same rights as everyone else … because you have brown eyes”, would you consider that discrimination? So, for you to say gay people should not have equal rights to everyone else stinks of homophobia. Many gay people are themselves homophobic because of the anti-gay conditioning they have had to endure at the hands of a heterocentric society. Let’s hope we’re moving to a place where self-hatred is a thing of the past.

3. And different people want different things. Some straight couples don’t want to get married, some do. I hate it how he is speaking up for every homosexual person in the UK.

1. Jock S. Trap 11 Jun 2013, 12:59pm

Indeed. That’s what they don’t get because it’s a massive difference between having the freedom to choose personally and the state choosing for you and choosing to denying you.

4. He should add idiot to that list of descriptions.

5. It would appear that certain gay men are quite happy being 2nd class citizens

To be frank: I simply think that this man is simply dancing like a trained monkey for his Daily Mail Masters

1. Maybe he and his friends have been enculturated into thinking they don’t deserve to have the same rights as everybody else. Much like those gay people that are proud to be Catholics or members of the CoE, institutions that despise them and think of them as abominations of nature. Incredible but true!

1. or islam.

2. Mumbo Jumbo 11 Jun 2013, 1:32pm

And if forced to choose, I’d rather shag the monkey.

1. Well I know at least 50 gay people who cannot wait for the right to equal marriage to finally become ours, & not one who doesn’t!

That turkey-necked old sell-out does not represent me in any way, shape or form. For him to claim to represent the views of ‘gay people’, whilst alluding to be representing a majority view amongst us is just plain wrong..

Is he implying that because 9 out of 11 of his ‘friends’ all don’t believe that we are entitled to equal marriage & therefore (clearly) most of us don’t????

Mr Pierce: if anything, you represent a sad & pathetic tiny minority view within the gay community.You do not speak for us, so stop pretending to!!!!

6. The vitriol directed at LBGT people over equal marriaeg shows us exactly why euqality is needed.

So long as they can pop us into a box marked “Separate but Equal (but not really equal hehe)” then we are fools.

1. scuse typos….

7. He is part of an older generation and viewpoint.

Like it or not younger gay people are generally more integrated and aren’t as interested in things especially for them.

They are less likely to be rejected by their families and more likely to be out in all areas of their lives than people of Pierce’s generation.

I am 30 and did go to gay clubs when I was younger but I have met lots of people in their early 20s, through my work, who have never been to a specific gay venue and probably never will. They pair up online and just carry on going to the same social venues as their friends.

Separate just doesn’t make sense for that generation.

1. Please don’t try to excuse him by saying that he’s old. I’m older than him, and I don’t agree with a single one of his views. And I know people who are nearly 90 who wouldn’t agree with him either.

He’s a bigot and a homophobe because he’s a bigot and a homophobe. It’s nothing to do with his age.

1. Hang on, you’re only 30 and barely out of your 20s yet you consider yourself in a different generation to them? How utterly bizarre. Consider this: you would have been in your early 20s when civil partnerships were passed in 2005 (that recently) and if you consider “early 20s” to be anything up to 24 then you were in that age bracket until only six years ago. Being six years older than somebody is not enough to be placed in a different generation to them, it actually means that you’re contemporaries. When a 24 year old of today is your age now (30) you’ll be 36. Hardly a massive difference.

If you consider yourself “older” now no wonder you think that everybody over 50 is a frothing, bigoted old dinosaur.

1. :) actually you have to draw the line somewhere so even if you say 0-50 is one generation and 51-100 is another, you could make a similar argument about two people aged 49 and 51… I think it’s enough to sense a generational difference with another age group to identify them as a generation. With things changing very rapidly today, being a teenager in the 80-90’s like I was or in the 90-00s would be a very different experience.

1. generally speaking the Inland Revenue thing of generational change as 30 years.

2. I didn’t mean to suggest I was a different generation that someone 6 years younger than me. Instead of “that generation” perhaps I should have said “my generation”

2. I agree he is a bigot, because whatever he says about his own feeling on marriage he shouldn’t be trying to ban other people getting married based on their sexuality. But I think it does have to do with his age in as much as he has been unable to overcome the environment he came out in.

An environment in which much of society was anti gay and true acceptance was easiest to find in the gay community. If you are living your true self only among other gay people then, legalities aside, what difference does a social institution from wider society have?

You see the argument against marriage from two groups of gay people. Pierce types, who can’t see the value and don’t want anyone else to get one because they don’t want to “rock the boat” and attract too much ire from the straights, and the more radical types, who don’t want gay people to “assimilate” because they have a strong attachment to the idea as the gay community as a united, left wing, political force.

3. cont..

But neither argument has much traction with my generation because we were never as separated from our straight family and friends. We were never ejected, no re-assimilation needed. No fear of what the straights think, like Pierce, because they are our best friends.

I think Pierce is a bad person, not because of his viewpoint, because I can see where it came from, but because he is unwilling to allow other gay people theirs.

2. CRW, you and members of your generation are only in the position you are in now BECAUSE of the older generations. You seem to forget that sport and maybe you should show just a little bit of appreciation.

“…and aren’t as interested in things especially for them.”…rofl

1. All I am saying is that social stigma breeds complicated responses and it isn’t entirely Pierce’s fault he ended up a pretty pathetic creature. Lots of other older people didn’t and I am glad for that.

1. Nonsense, CRW. Pierce is fully responsible for Pierce’s behaviour. No one else is responsible for it. Pierce can choose to change his behaviour instantly. Pierce actively chooses not to. (My guess is that Pierce likes to take the pay-check that his Uncle Tom role at the Daily Hate grants him.)

8. “We’ve got marriage, it’s called a civil partnership” – Are you having a giraffe?! As the governor Christine Gregoire said, civil partnerships are simply “a version of the discriminatory ‘separate but equal’ notion of the past”. The whole point of same-sex marriage is to show that our relationship are no different and are not inferior to those of heterosexual couples. If you’re happy with just civil partnerships, Mr Pierce, then fine, but don’t expect us to agree with you.

1. Yes, I have a car. It’s called a bicycle. :)

9. Christopher in Canada 11 Jun 2013, 12:39pm

If the shoe fits…

10. “Well, Mr Cameron, I am a Conservative and a homosexual, and I oppose gay marriage. Am I a bigot?”

Laughable that Uncle Toms in any area think that because they’re part of the demographic they’re discriminating against that means it’s not discrimination.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 11 Jun 2013, 2:36pm

Its speaks realms also that he has incorporated a racial slur in his argument to make his point.

I’m disappointed that this even made the news.

The guy is best ignored at every level.

1. I don’t agree that he should be ignored. He has a massive readership at the Daily Hate and we should do our best to ensure that they learn that over on the website of the gay paper they SEE that in fact Pierce’s utterances about how most of us really feel are nothing but a load of twoddle.

We really ought to sign up with the Daily Hate and all of us post messages of refutation . . . except we know they censor objections and simply don’t post them.

We could all send a letter to the editor of the Daily Hate though. That would get the message through. But then the editor is probably a mental dysfunctional like Pierce and he or she will claim our messages are only those of a minority of the homosexual population.

11. As the Daily Mails ‘token homosexual’ he is tasked with constantly fighting against gay rights on their behalf, & who could call them homophobic, as its being spouted by a gay man..?

Well I think he is a sellout, selling his fellow homosexuals down the river to further his own agendas.

An Uncle Tom? Absolutely!!!

His CONSTANT bleatings that ‘as a gay man I dont believe that homosexuals should be entitled to the right to get married to the person we love blah blah blah’ are in my opinion quite pathetic and personally infuriating!

You can give it up now ANDREW! Equal marriage has passed with HUGE majorities in BOTH houses & we will have equal rights quite shortly

Can you find some other pointless, self defeating cause to nag about now please!!!

1. I never want to marry (for reasons that are my own) but I understand and accept that many, if not the majority, in our community want to, or at least want the option to be able to. Therefore, I support marriage equality. All gay men should despite whether they want to marry or not.
      Unfortunately we have many Uncle Tom’s within our community. Some are obvious, as with Andrew Pierce, and some not so. I was amazed reading the comments associated with Lord Jenkins speech after the vote in the House of Lords. Readers fell over themselves to thank him. Thank him for what? Thank him and others like him because they finally have the common decency to start treating us with some of the respect we deserve or realise that we are entitled to the same rights as everyone else in society? Thank him when he tells us to avoid provocative confrontations so as not to antagonise the homophobes? The poor homophobes, pretty soon they won’t have anyone to ridicule, discriminate against, bash and murder.

1. An if we’n good massah gonna gib us’n mo’ scraps.

How bloody condescending!

I am not going to say thank you to any heterosexual for simply doing what is right and long overdue. Particularly, someone of Lord Jenkins age whom no doubt at some point during his long life participated in some form of discrimination or offensive behaviour towards gay men (as it was the norm in society). We have been treated appallingly, not just over decades but centuries and every heterosexual has to share in the collective guilt, just as all Germans had to share in a collective guilt for the Holocaust, regardless of what part they played in the war.
        So, all those pointing a black finger at Andrew Pierce should also point the same finger at anyone who effusively thanked Lord Jenkins (and any other heterosexual for supporting equal rights and treatment). They are just as much Uncle Tom’s as Andrew Pierce and his ilk.

1. I don’t agree. There is a gigantic difference between acknowledging a disinterested effort made by someone with good intentions, and someone in the pay of reactionaries who suggests the effort wasn’t worthwhile in the first place.

12. Of course he is an Uncle Tom. He writes for an extreme right wing newspaper which hates him.

The fact that he was abandoned by his birth mother to the state should be remembered here.

Perhaps he identifies with his fascist employer in a desperate attempt to fill the gap left by his mother’s abandonment of him

Being placed in the care of theststatemother

13. bobbleobble 11 Jun 2013, 12:47pm

The BBC once again showing that they are the propaganda wing of the Campaign For Marriage.

As for Pierce well he’s the Mail’s pet gay who is there solely to lend some kind of credence to the Mail’s homophobia. ‘Look we can’t be homophobic we have a GAY working for us.

And all these people who are gay and actually want less rights, well fine, no one’s going to force you to marry but how dare you presume to tell me what is enough for me. Wallow in your second class status if you will but don’t expect me to be there with you.

1. bobbleobble 11 Jun 2013, 12:58pm

Also why the focus on the US in the BBc article. Apart from Pierce and his ’11 friends’ all of the people mentioned are American. The article mentions support among the general US populace but then says that the level of support among gay people hasn’t been tested, implying that maybe the gay community doesn’t want it, straight out of C4M’s list if reasons to oppose SSM. Yet if the BBC had bothered to do a little research they’d find that in this country the gay community HAS been asked about this and 91% of those questioned responding positively to SSM according to a YouGov poll.

Plus where is the balance in this article, isn’t every BBC news piece supposed to show the story from both sides? Leaving aside the fact that the BBC never produce positive articles about SSM there is no voice in this article which counters the view that gay people don’t want SSM and reading the article you might even believe that the gay community are all against.

14. What a plonker! Pierce is happy to sit at the back of bus and expects the rest of us to timidly do the same.

15. So all but one person at HIS dinner party agreed with him? That proves absolutely NOTHING except that birds of an ignorant feather flock together.

It always amuses me how people seem utterly perplexed as to why people that they’re trying to deny rights to don’t like them. I don’t care if you’re gay or straight, Christian, Muslim or atheist, black or white; if you support restricting my rights and segregating me then I DON’T LIKE YOU and I won’t pretend that I do. If I can say that to my own brother then I certainly have no reservations in saying to this twit with whom I have no relation or interest.

16. It’s typical of the virulently anti-gay BBC to search out and promote Uncle Toms such as Andrew Pierce.

Of course there will never be a BBC piece about “The straight people for gay marriage” !

1. Mumbo Jumbo 11 Jun 2013, 1:35pm

Or the straight people who are against straight marriage.

2. Gave a thumbs down, because the “virulently anti-gay BBC” has produced excellent dramas and documentaries on Turing, the Peter Wildeblood trial and the Wolfenden Report.
      As well as the Matt Smith portrayal of Christopher Isherwood. And speaking of Dr Who, one of their most popular characters is Captain Jack Harkness. All handled with the appropriate tact and sensitivity.

1. Perhaps it’s worth noting the apparent discrepancy of approach between BBC News and BBC4?

17. davevauxhall 11 Jun 2013, 12:52pm

Uncle Tom, absoloutely! he has shown that time and time again in his writings and editorial decisions. It is always “I am gay too but” I don’t agree with gay marriage, I think camp gay men are disgusting etc. Andrew Pierce is quite willing to sell the rest of us down the river to make a bit of money and to create sensation. The newspaper he works for is insitutionally homophobic and prjudiced and he is happy to constantly denigrate his fellow homosexuals and reduce our choices and stir up division and hatred. He really deserves our complete contempt. How he has anyone willing to go to dinner with him I don’t know.

18. Andrew, you must be one of those “artistic types” who’s so good with antiques and takes tea with Baronass Night.

1. He must be one of her “gay friends”

19. Jock S. Trap 11 Jun 2013, 12:56pm

“The gay people against gay marriage”

Or simple put The gay people who don’t want equalities for them or other and wish us to remain second class citizens.

Shameful.

It’s about Choice Mr Pierce and the freedom to use it.

The Daily Mail and those within need to wake up.

20. Ah, he’s sound on queer rights because he’s “a supporter of Stonewall.”

Stonewall the “LGB equality” group that pretends the majority of LGB people don’t exist through its persistent bisexual erasure, and which opposed same-sex marriage on the grounds that we shouldn’t seek equality during a recession.

All aboard the roflcopter!

21. Even more alarming than what this nimrod has to say is that PN finds his comments more noteworthy than the fact that the BBC is running articles called “The gay people against gay marriage.”

Why isn’t PN taking on BBC’s bias when it comes to marriage equality?

22. I won’t call you that.

A bumptious, self-agrandising, over-opinionated tosser, sure. Bigot, no.

1. Jacob Dugan-Brause 11 Jun 2013, 5:32pm

Thank you, Sasha. You speak for me as well. I appreciate your view on things here in comments as you’re frequently thoughtful. As to Poor Andrew Pierce, he is a bit messed up, I’m afraid, working for the Daily Mail as a gay man. He has a ways to go to heal his demons and he doesn’t even recognise them.

And as for this one time you stooped to insult … it was deserved.

23. Orange Lucozade 11 Jun 2013, 1:02pm

Yes. Also, an idiot, though I suppose that meshes well with the whole bigot thing.

24. This is a classic case of religion poisoning a mind. You have Stockholm syndrome Mr Pierce, you need help.

You are putting your acquired delusion above your innate property.

25. Any self aware person with cintilla of self respect would not be working for the Daily Mail in the first place.
    A hint for Mr Andrew Pierce, look up Stockholm Syndrome!

26. ‘……the rest were against’.

Nine fat four-eyed daddies. Probably.

1. “Four-eyed” ???

Don’t be hypermetropiaphobic !

27. More shoddy , biased journalism from the shame ridden BBC . Abolish the license fee, see how far they get with purporting apologetic extremist views. I do not want to pay for inferior journalism and bad programming, when I don’t even watch the channel.
    This pierce guy is another uncle tom, homophobe creep. Add this worm to the other traitors list biggins, Everett …

1. “when I don’t even watch the channel.” Doesn’t stop you dissing their content, or ignoring the gay-friendly content enumerated in my post above ^

1. I have every right to comment on the content from a channel, whose inept employees I pay for.

28. I have far less pleasant words for him.

Trust the Daily Mail to find a complete sell out to bow and creep around the straight folks

29. Please step forward all you friends of Andrew Pierce and confirm that it is true that “at a dinner party he hosted for 11 gay friends, only one was in favour of marriage, one was undecided and the rest were against”.

I find this difficult to believe but if it is true, it is saddening. However “birds of a feather flock together” and it should not be considered that because 11 gay men gathered in Andrew Pierce’s house are agin same-sex marriage it follows that the majority of gay men in the wider community, BEYOND odious Andrew Pierce’s dining room, are not in favour of same sex marriage. We know that is not the case.

1. 12 men at a supper, debating our future. Sounds like AP has a Messiah complex.

2. I’ve never been invited to dinner by him. Just as well, really…

30. As a matter of fact, during desegregation in the US some (many?) black people were against it. They were mostly afraid of rocking the boat. Does that mean they were racist? Probably not, although they were certainly used to races being segregated. Was it right for civil rights activists to press ahead? Absolutely.

I’m not saying this is the exact same thing but the example is certainly telling.

In general terms, being gay doesn’t mean you can’t be anti-gay or, to put it in milder terms, espouse a system of beliefs that’s detrimental to the experience of gay people in society.

31. “attacked in a derogatory fashion”…. Love it!

32. On the other hand 11 Jun 2013, 1:50pm

Oh look BBC news still biased against equal marriage, what a surprise. A Daily Mail writer against equal marriage, what a surprise, too.

It’s time these people moved on, over 70 % of both Houses of Parliament are in favour.

33. But ya are Blanche, ya are a homophobe and an uncle tom!

34. Not every straight person agrees with straight marriage but at least they have the choice and that is the point.

1. That’s it in a nutshell. Well said.

35. Yes, you are a bigot.
    Big Clue there – you work for the Daily Mail

36. steve evans 11 Jun 2013, 2:10pm

I’m a gay man, I’m a conservative and I support gay marriage.
    I don’t like bein separated and treated differently!
    as this man states he relishes having something separate and I think he is the type of person I do not get along with someone who has to point out differences between people if you don’t want to get married that’s fine then don’t have a civil union if you want BUT DO NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN OR CAN’T DO.
    that is in no way fair and your a complete knob for pretending to speak for me and I find it very offensive also daily mail haha if any more proof of being a prick was needed!

37. His real problem is that he is stupid. He thinks the marriage equality bill is really a bill calling for compulsory marriage. No one is going to force him to get married if he doesn’t want to. There is no question that he is an “Uncle Tom.”

38. Stop watching the BBC News. I did months ago. France24 and Aljazeera use the same format as the BBC, but with one big difference. Neither are biased when reporting on gay issues. Actually, that’s wrong, both are in favour of gay equality

1. I agree with you re. France24, but the problem is that too many of their presenters are so frightfully amateurish they’re aggravating. At times it seems that anyone can just walk into France24’s studios and do what the hell they like in front of the cameras. They all need some supervision.

2. Being biased in favour is as bad as being biased against the issue. Strict neutrality is required.
      Maybe it’s a “dog bites man” scenario. Those supporting SSM tend to be sensible, quiet, respectable. Boring! If Deathshead Tebbit says “I fancy my brother”, now THAT’S news!
      I have not detected an anti-marriage bias on the Beeb, but there are several ways to voice concerns or outrage over BBC coverage.
      Other than posting here, that is…….

39. Michaelandfred 11 Jun 2013, 2:55pm

Now we know who those “gay friends” of Maggie Gallagher are. I always thought that was just made up. So here’s a gay man who doesn’t want it himself, therefore the rest “don’t need it.” Conservative thinking in a nutshell.

1. Maggie Gallagher? You’ve puzzled me. Please explain.

40. Barry William Teske 11 Jun 2013, 3:10pm

I’d like to call you Andrew, a few more things ,,,
    Hate monger, liar, untrustworthy, traitor, self serving, fool etc. But deep inside your heart of hearts – you knew that already didn’t you.

41. Opposing marriage equality doesn’t make him a bigot, but being gay himself doesn’t guarantee that he isn’t one… Being gay just takes away the chance that his opposition is out of sheer ignorance… Normally I’d just say that he’s simply an ass because in spite of his “party of 11 gay men”, he must surely know a way larger amount of gay men who disagree with him, and he probably opposes marriage equality mainly because he wouldn’t want to marry himself… However, taking into account his comments, on Sir Elton John’s son, I’m afraid I have no choice but to conclude that he is a bigot. And a Gold-Star one at that!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Jun 2013, 4:50pm

Beg to differ. Deluding himself into thinking CPs are marriages is one thing, but because he doesn’t want marriage doesn’t mean the rest of us shouldn’t just as none of us oppose his right to a CP. I personally never wanted one but always wanted marriage but I wouldn’t say that CPs shouldn’t be available to those who have no desire to marry. So yes, he is a bigot and because he is gay doesn’t exonerate him from homophobia.

42. David Walsh 11 Jun 2013, 3:51pm

Pierce’s comments are sad and embarrassing to our community. Opposition to marriage equality, especially from a gay person, is always a reflection of homophobia. We should not tolerate any kind of legal inequality, even of a symbolic kind.

43. Selfishness mainly for trying to deny gays yet to be born equality. Despicable.

Still if you are ok why worry about others eh?

44. “…I rejoice in the fact that people like me who are different from straight people can do something they can’t. I relish that.”

He clearly doesn’t understand equality.

45. shame that he and others have forgotten the conservative way is for minimal state interference.

Imagine if because I was on a diet I banned everyone from eating macdonalds and having fizzy drinks

46. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Jun 2013, 4:42pm

Mr. Pierce, your Civil Partnership is NOT a marriage. I strongly recommend you refer to the Matrimonial Causes Act of 1973 and point to where it is written otherwise. Delusional loon.

Yes, you are a bigoted homophobe when you seek to deny others access to marriage just because you don’t want it and many of us don’t want a CP which doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t if you so choose.

I strongly urge all of you to lobby a Lord. Opponents thrive on Pierce’s rants.

1. Robert -thank you for the link. I have lobbied over 30 Lords so far this evening, and wont be stopping there!

47. But he is a homophobe and an uncle tom

48. What I find so baffling about these gays against marriage is that usually their attitude is that they personally don’t want or need it, therefor no one else should get it. What kind of argument is that? They never articulate any reason why it’s a bad thing, they just callously disregard the needs of LGBT families who could really use it.

49. Hi Andrew… I hope you read this because its important… Firstly it doesnt matter how many guests were in favour of gay marriage. Fact is there are gay people who want the right to marry annd the figures for how many want it doesn’t matter. This is a matter of personal freedom and you have to come up with a better reason than some people don’t want it for denying that right. Im guessng that non of the people at your party want a wheelchair but there are people in the country want them and indeed need them. Just because you personally don’t want a wheelchair doesn’t mean you should vote against people having wheel chairs. Now when you stood as an MP, it was to represent all your constituants not push your personal needs. This issue is a no brainer, its giving freedom at the cost of nothing to anyone else. Think about it, who’s going to be worse off if gay people marry?

50. Staircase2 11 Jun 2013, 7:11pm

“The journalist says at a dinner party he hosted for 11 gay friends, only one was in favour of marriage, one was undecided and the rest were against.”

Given that he writes for the Daily Mail that’s hardly surprising is it….?

51. Translation: “I don’t want to get married so you can’t either”.

Stupid, issue-ridden bigot. Some of my straight friends don’t want to get married, but they don’t feel the need to interfere and try to stop other straight people marrying.

52. Having seen “Tory Boy” Pierce many times doing paper reviews with Kevin McGuire of the Mirror, it is clear to me that AP is somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan.
    Bigoted, blinkered and dismissive of anything vaguely “working class”.
    Not just an Uncle Tom, but a 100%, gold-plated swivel-eyed loon.

53. Haha! Why is he condemning Elton John? Lol. Jealous! The couple wanted to adopt a child, why not? He is adopted right? He should KNOW better! What a shame! He needs to JOIN UKIP as soon as possible! I fight for EQUALITY, not special rights nor SEPARATE but equal… just want EQUALITY under the law! Is it really hard to understand that?

54. Self-loathing is a terrible thing.
    I’d be sorry for him if he wasn’t advocating back seats on the bus for the whole LGBT community.

55. Christopher Coleman 11 Jun 2013, 10:48pm

Obviously, a very self-centered and selfish twerp. I’d not heard of him before this, and don’t mind if I never hear about him again. Fancies that being a journalist makes his opinions important. There are many things in this world we may not want, but that is no reason to prevent others enjoying their lives.

56. Pierce is the gay version of the character played my Samuel L Jackson in Django Unchained. Sad man.

57. What, Andrew? People are calling you a homophobe and an Uncle Tom?
    Really? I wonder why? Does anybody have any ideas?

58. That There Other David 12 Jun 2013, 10:06am

I can fully believe that he purposefully selected the guests at that dinner party with the article’s slant in mind.

59. Kevin Thomas 12 Jun 2013, 11:40am

There’s a world of difference between “opposing gay marriage” and merely acknowledging that some gay people don’t want to marry, whether for the same sorts of reasons that many straight people don’t or because marriage is to ‘hetero’ an institution. But “merely acknowledging” wouldn’t sell well to commissioning editors at either the Dreadful Mail or Pinknews.

60. He’s against gay marriage because who the hell would want to marry such a nauseous person, who would want to brag about Andrew being his boyfriend let alone someone your married to. “Do you take this uncle Tom to be your wedded PRATT”

61. No, he’s not a bigot for not wanting yhe same rights and oportunities as other non LGBTQI people; that is just outright stupidity!
    But, he obviously is a bigot as he does want and likes to have rights that are denied to other, non LGB, people…..

62. Colin (London) 16 Jun 2013, 11:06am

A narrow minded, self opinionated, one of our tribe…mmm.

Some of us are fighting for equality and an inclusive society. To me Pierce on this occasion is bigoted. However he is allowed his opinion.

He is a media man working for a horrendous publication.

Short term line grabbing, no thought to the consequences, no vision of a better society just self focussed.

Glad I would never be invited to dinner eh…lol