Baroness Knight: The gays are still good at antiques and Section 28 was right

1. Jock S. Trap 10 Jun 2013, 11:00am

Vile, bigoted woman.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 10 Jun 2013, 2:58pm

Bless her, she probably single handedly swung the vote.

I wonder if you pick her up and shake her you can hear that loose screw rattling around inside her.

2. “I was only saying what I believe”.
      Yes – that is the problem.
      ‘Belief’ – driven by a religious view – is given an almost divine (pun intended) right to say what it likes. This UN-ELECTED bunch of upper-class, chinless wonders should be disbanded immediately. It’s a FARCE in a so-called democracy to have bishops and political cronies blocking legislation introduced by our elected representatives. And we have the NERVE to lecture the rest of the world about ‘human rights’ and ‘decocracy’.

2. Enrique Esteban 10 Jun 2013, 11:02am

PLS, SIGN TO SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE IN ROMANIA:
    Help to sign: prenume=first name; nume=family name; oras=city; tara=country.
    You’ll receive a mail and have to click on 2nd link to confirm.

3. It is like having a discussion with your grandfather who comes out with a racist term. You try and explain that it is not acceptable but he is from a different age, he finds it hard to understand. Thats ok for Granddad but when you are someone running the country…….! time to step aside.

4. Dinosaur. If there is a reason to reform the House of Lords, she is it.

1. Come on, there are plenty of reasons to reform the House of Lords, but the silly remarks of one bigoted old lady do not add to them. After all, the Lords voted overwhelmingly in favour of the bill, and some of the speeches (see, e.g., Lord Fowler’s speech) were in fact quite brilliant.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 10 Jun 2013, 3:01pm

She is taking up room that could be used by someone who knows what day of the week it is.

She’ll be creaming off cash by the fist load from the public purse as well I’ll wager …. I’m sure she still gets her head round that part of the job without too much problem.

5. Stupid, patronising, homophobic old ‘antique’ !!! Long past time she retired!! She was NASTY in Government and she’s still just plain NASTY!!!!

6. Well, I have to say she’s one antique I’d be no good with at all.

7. Evil old cow

8. IF it is true that Mrs. Knight has some or any “homosexual friends”, then I say “Shame on them!” for they have clearly not yet put this bigoted individual right.

Homosexual friends of Mrs. Knight, I call upon you to do a Prince Harry and sort this silly bigot’s sh*t out right now!

1. Mumbo Jumbo 10 Jun 2013, 11:52am

When bigots make this claim to have many homosexual friends the interviewer should challenge them to name three. In the unlikely event they can actually come up with three names instead of a tumbleweed moment, those named should then be contacted to see if they really are friends or just people they work with or bump into now and then.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Jun 2013, 11:55am

I doubt very much if she has any ‘homosexual’ friends. They all say that when they try to justify that they’re not homophobic. Who are those friends I wonder? Why doesn’t one of them come forward to defend her? Surely, one of those two antique dealers will have very nice things to say about her?

1. Indeed, Robert! She’s probably just thinking of the gay person or persons she has observed in some local antique shop. Her personal “involvement” with homosexual people may not extend beyond that.

2. Even if she does know any “homosexuals” I seriously doubt they’d be friends, more people who provide services for her, like selling her furniture or flowers, or setting her hair. She’d probably have asked Mandelson for advice (if she ever spoke to him) on soft furnishings.

3. I find it hard to believe that any gay man could be friends with this woman.
      However, I am sure she is a very loving person who is good in the kitchen and a wonder with the cross stich and knitting needles.

4. Sister Mary Clarence 10 Jun 2013, 3:02pm

She failed to elaborate what she has them chained up and gagged in the boating shed.

1. You do dream up some hilarious one-liners, Sister! (As well as your more serious postings, of course.)

9. Can someone again explain to me why the Tories are keeping this vile woman around?

1. They have to try and keep someone around, otherwise she would join the other 15,000,000,000,000 party members going over to UKIP-if-U-want-to in protest over the price of a scone.

10. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Jun 2013, 11:52am

Section this vile harridan, NOW! She’s a disgrace to the human race. to her party and to this country. I’ve no doubt she’ll be ranting in Committee and in Third Reading, delusional loon.

11. This fascist Tory birch is evidence why the House of Lords must be scrapped.

This fascist bitch has no democratic mandate.

12. She keeps digging that grave ever deeper. How long is it before she decides to stay in that grave? Not soon enough for my liking.

13. Silly old bag….haha!

14. and this is an example of the sort of Person that gets a say in how modern life is to be regulated??… you lot in the UK are nuts for putting up with the likes of this cretinous old has been!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Jun 2013, 12:58pm

No different than the religious loons in America, many of them elected politicians mostly all in the republican party. They had a man running for the presidency, Mitt Romney who’s religion believes that when we die, we become gods.

15. A direct appeal to the two antique dealers: Please consider correcting her misconceptions directly with her and then, if needed publicly. I really believe you have a moral and ethical duty to do this. She is abusing your friendship and causing harm to society.

16. I honestly don’t think she is homophobic, she is being a very silly old woman who is stuck in the incorrect views of the past, she talks about us in stereotypes, bright bubbly artistic things, she does view us as real people.

She reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket, well-meaning but gets it very wrong and so blinkered she can’t see that her own son is gay.

If she does have gay friends, they really need to educate her into realising that we are real people and not cute kitsch dolls.

1. I agree. People on here who are calling her names and saying she’s evil are off the mark. I really don’t believe she’s evil, just very ignorant.

By the way I know nothing about antiques.

1. David & Alex, you are not bearing in mind that this person was one of the prime movers behind Margaret Thatcher’s Section 28, a piece of hateful legislation which EXPLICITLY sought to diminish and demean homosexual people throughout the UK by making it a criminal offence to speak or indicate anything positive about them in any school situation. Knight and fellow Tory bigots succeeded in passing that stigmatizing legislation.

If such a piece of legislation had been introduced in the UK making it a criminal offence to speak positively or black people or Asian people, would you have let her off with a kindly excuse of her just “being a very silly old woman”? I don’t think you would. I think you would have compared her to notorious dictators who have pointed the finger at certain minorities, persecuted them, and caused them a great deal of pain.

Lesson: a woman may LOOK like a harmless Hyacinth Bouquet, but that doesn’t mean she is not something utterly frightful.

1. Like I said Eddy, Stuck in the past.

I do feel your comparison with dictators a bit overly dramatic for the person in question, her language isn’t nasty, its ignorant. She agreed with a piece of legislation that most of the people of that era would have agreed with and she is stuck back there in her mind.

I still stand by what I think, that is, she need to be brought up to date, not attacked. No one benefits from name calling, we all benefit from education.

2. Ignorance is not an excuse, especially for someone in her position.

3. You do now!

17. That hair the eye shadow the cheeks. Dat bitch is busted

1. Her make-up does make it seem as if she was in an episode of the original Star Trek series.

As an alien.

18. I’m not so much bothered by her opinions as by the fact I have no say in her right to govern.

19. What a vile, ugly, racist, homophobic, contemptible and horrible old witch…..she should have had a wooden stake through her heart (if she has one) years ago….

20. And she’s still an old bigot hag and in a few short years she’ll be dead and I’ll be celebrating my anniversary.

I’m good with that!

21. Hmm. Maybe its because I am gay, but I can recognise an antique when I see one. Sadly enough this one is not very valuable, and can be safely stowed away.

1. In fact it looks as though there were several less-than-successful attempts at ‘restoration’ in some earlier era, when standards weren’t quite as meticulous as they are now…

22. Maybe the House of Lords Speaker should consider hiring a couple of Admiral Nurses ?

23. soapbubblequeen 10 Jun 2013, 3:10pm

Obviously all those blue rinses have really turned the poor dear’s head!

24. Helge Vladimir Tiller 10 Jun 2013, 3:17pm

She simply lacks scientific knowledge. I suggest she should read “Society and the Healthy Homosexual”. ( Dr. George Weinberg ) For a start ! First published in Great Britain in 1975 by Colin Smythe Ltd,Gerrards Cross, Bucks. I’m positively sure her gay friends would appreciate that.. If they are not bewitched by her persistency-

1. Helge, “Society and the Healthy Homosexual”: a superb book! Delighted to hear you have read it too!

25. She is really a man with bad makeup right?

26. Robert (Kettering) 10 Jun 2013, 4:04pm

This old hag is completely round the twist and should be Sectioned under the Mental Health Act rather than sit in “judgement” in the unelected House of Lords.

Quite potty!

1. Even worse, her opinions are very dangerous!

27. Perhaps Pink News – or another news organisation – could approach Baroness Knight for a comment on the life of Phillip Curtis McKee, whose death has been announced today.

28. And no doubt get a computer full of malware for your trouble.

1. I have no idea what happened with the above comment. It was posted in reply to Enrique Esteban’s spam post at the beginning of the thread.
      Any chance you could move it to where it should have been, Mr Moderator?

29. Jim middle tn 10 Jun 2013, 8:39pm

as i am a citizen of the USA and we have our own old bigots .. i can say that the comments were better then the article .. she is one piece of work and i do hope her ‘homosexual” friends have her over for dinner .. and then show her the door .. and explain why she isnt welcome in their home ..
    but I be some of her “:homosexual” friend dont mind at all .. its just the way the world is

30. This deluded woman reflects the opinion of many of her generation; after all, we’re all the product of what we have been told to be true by our parents and those who were instrumental in bringing us up.
    Thankfully, most people such as Baroness Knight have used their intelligence and their experience of the world to realise that not everything we have been taught is correct.
    Unfortunately, this peer of the realm has not developed in either common sense or compassion. Thankfully, the lady’s in her 80s and won'[t be around much longer to promulgate her draconian and misguided beliefs.

31. Baroness Knight is good at anti-gay bigotry and really not much else, her voting record shows that equality gay people is the only issue she has voted strongly against, she is an unpleasant homophobic piece of work.

1. “equality for gay people”

32. Isn’t she a doll? This one is a museum piece.

It is the children that need saved from her worldview – the way she views the world it is just an ugly indictment on humanity.

What is bad is this type of person takes money from the public trough and what does she contribute in return ?

33. “I was only saying what I believe”.
    Yes – that is the problem.

34. Well if she has some gay friends I would say that they are not that good at antiques. Just to see the look of her, I would never be her friend. that a question of self respect.

35. Oi…!
    Knight…!

I don’t want your beliefs ramming down my throat, thanks.
    I had enough ‘beliefs’ shoved down my throat with the Irish ‘Christian’ (? there’s a laff) Brothers and it has taken me the rest of my life, 60+ years, to free myself.

Shove it, Knight, in after a TAMPAX.

Keith.
    SALFORD

36. Barry Grant 14 Jun 2013, 5:08pm

I am confused as to why a gay man or woman would want to be friends with such a horrible ignorant woman. I say ignorant on the basis that I wrote to here over a month ago and have heard nothing back.

Horrible woman needs to resign her position and learn to keep her mouth firmly closed.

37. Hmmm…… I guess her ‘gay friends’ then clearly are not so very good in antiques, as they then don’t have a clue which antiques should be dumped…..
    Or just have a very, very low self esteem….
    This antiquated bigot should have retired to her cave years ago!