Prince Harry praised for saving soldier from homophobic attack

1. Well done Harry, you Sir are a gentleman!

1. Craig Smith 17 Jul 2013, 8:23pm

Always good to read a good story about people; especially a Royal blocking homophobic abuse… however let me add, Mr Wharton (Civilian now) was kicked out the Army over his attitude and conduct. He does not do himself any favours and his attitude of “I’m the only gay in the Army” really did piss off the other gay members of the MOD of which I was one. (Ex Navy).

Can’t you see, this is just a story (although possibly true) to let Wharton continue his campaign of “I’m such a good gay and better than the rest”. The Army got him to where he is, he continuously dosobayed orders, conduct and regulations and got the boot for it. This is an attempt to use the Army again for his own PR and smite our brave soldiers. I know many members of the Cavalry & bullying simply is not the case. This “Iraq veteran” went once in 2003 and has never seen a warzone since. He spent most of his latest career as the Colonel’s driver……

On behalf of the entire gay mod LGBT PLEASE stop posting Wharton articles.

2. BZ Price Harry.

3. Go Harry!

4. Harry, your mum would be so proud.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 9 Jun 2013, 2:03pm

This is the new generation of Royals. I wouldn’t mind betting there are others and some who support Equal Marriage but probably aren’t allowed to say it, more’s the pity. Their mother raised two very fine young men of whom we can all be proud. Well done, Harry!

1. Christopher Coleman 10 Jun 2013, 3:27am

Indeed, but don’t forget the influence of their father, who raised them through their difficult teen years. The ethics of Prince Charles are too easily overlooked.

6. This is touching indeed!

And as Robert implies above, it seems that some of Harry’s mother’s excellent qualities have been shining through.

May “Right, I’m going to sort this sh*t out once and for all!” become a model and a catch-phrase throughout the armed forces wherever there are instances of homophobia.

In fact, we could all use it!

“Right, I’m going to sort this sh*t out once and for all!”

7. Ha ha great guy Harry! Wonder what his reactions were to Lord Tebbit’s lesbian queen shenanigans and Tebbit marrying his own brother thing. Bet his face would of been a picture

8. That’s his mums influence. Remember until she shook the had of a man dying from aids people thought you could get it off a toilet seat

9. Peter & Michael 9 Jun 2013, 4:53pm

What a great guy !

10. You mean his boyfriend, right?

1. Yes, because people never stick up for other people unless they’re receiving orgasms in return *rolls her eyes*

11. Firstly well done to Harry for sorting this incident out.

Secondly though, I’m troubled by the thought Wharton was singled out for a beating purely on account of his sexuality. Was that the case? What if Harry hadn’t been around to sort it out, would we be reading an account of how was beaten (and possibly worse)?; and how many other soldiers are being gay based by their colleagues?

None I hope, but i does make me wonder – just when you think the Army has turned a corner…

1. I guess it all boils down to your reasoning for joining the Army.

There are lots of soldiers who won’t tolerate seeing anyone weak abused. Traditional working class/austere middle class upbringing. Doesn’t mean they’re entirely PC in day to day life, but they definitely have a sense of fairness instilled in them.

Then there’s the mass who are signed up from a young age, having gained little qualifications or experience of diversity from school. Jeremy Kyle/louche upper class upbringing. I think that’s where the worst excesses of discrimination come from, young guys who have never been told where the line in the sand is.

12. REV VINCENT TURNER 9 Jun 2013, 6:38pm

While I laud the Good Prince for intervening, I am put off by this gay soldier’s crying. WTF? God in Heaven man, suck it up and act like a true soldier. Tears? Oh, my! I’ve been gay 45 years, served in the US MIL before you likely were born. Crying as a soldier is bloody shameful.

1. Oh, Rev. Vincent Turner, you are such a He-Man, such an all-American male! Please understand that we are but human beings, military or no!

1. Christopher in Canada 10 Jun 2013, 1:04pm

He thinks soldiers should be automatons, not people. He watched too many John Wayne movies growing up.

2. ANTONIO 20 Jan, 9:24pm

Big boys don’t cry eh Rev !

13. Har Davids 9 Jun 2013, 6:59pm

This guy can’t be a royal, he’s too decent by half. His kind of behaviour sets the bar too high for most of his relatives.

1. What a very silly comment.

14. GingerlyColors 9 Jun 2013, 7:05pm

Harry, you are a gentleman and a brilliant role model. Unfortunately it isn’t long since gays were allowed to serve in the military and it may be a while before the armed forces can be considered ‘gay friendly’.

15. He is his mother’s boy (man) indeed. She would be so proud.

16. Aryugaetu 9 Jun 2013, 9:31pm

I’m not surprised…
    “Big brother: boys with older brothers are more likely to be gay.”
    …I, too, am the 2nd son in the family.

Personally, as they entered college, Prince Harry quickly set off the Gaydar while his brother was just as obviously straight. In earlier times, he would have been the dutiful unmarried royal uncle attending the more rowdy social events, much like today’s pop stars, and a target for the love of the clueless girls. Much like he does now.

1. That’ll come as a surprise to two of my best friends, who are the eldest of their families (of 4 and 5). And indeed to my older brother.

“Dutiful unmarried royal uncle” – like whom, for example?

There’s a certain type of gay man whose gaydar is set off by any passably fit man in the public eye. It can get quite tiresome sometimes.

1. Christopher in Canada 10 Jun 2013, 1:06pm

I’m the oldest of three boys. And, I grew up on a farm in the northern part of Ontario. I’m living proof these wives tales are just that.

2. Aryugaetu, I think your Gaydar might need to go in for a service. Most gay guys wouldn’t be caught frolicking naked in a Las Vegas hotel room with women they’d just met at a pool party.

17. Erm, what exactly does it say about the hierarchy of the army that Prince Harry needed to intervene to stop something like this?

Blatant cock and bull story anyway though.

1. It says that the army is a hierarchy, which should come as no surprise.

18. Enrique Esteban 10 Jun 2013, 7:45am

PLS, SIGN TO SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE IN ROMANIA:
    Help to sign: prenume=first name; nume=family name; oras=city; tara=country.
    You’ll receive a mail and have to click on 2nd link to confirm.

19. I do not find this believable. If it is indeed fact where is the investigation into the incident. Both Wharton and Harry should supply the names of those involved. It seems convenient timing given the criticism of the Queen regarding the lack of aknowledgemnt of Equal Marriage and the LGBT community in her speech.

Just a “story” and Palace spin.

20. What utter tosh. Wharton is to Harry what Burrell was to Diana. According to MoS he slept with 2 different guys on consecutive nights and outted one of them against his will and cried to Harry that other guys were on his case. More like jackanory than real story. I see he’s also a role model for school kids with stonewall and peddling a book. Zzzzzz pull the other one.

21. Really don’t understand the attention James Wharton receives, my boyfriend is a soldier who has served in Iraq and Afghanistan, he’s been out for over a decade and it’s no big deal at all he just gets on with his job. Seems Mr Wharton is just after attention.

22. mikeysussex 10 Jun 2013, 11:10am

What absolute royalist drivel. This comment was taken from a new book by an out gay soldier who got himself into trouble by bragging about the other soldiers he had slept with. Needless to say he is no longer a soldier. The bloke needed a good slap. That’s all we need, screaming fairies camping it up in the army.

23. Whilst I wish to praise Prince Harry for his actions, I do have to take the writer of this article to task for the associating gay people and HIV/AIDS again. How can we expect other people to break the association in their minds if we don’t do it too.

24. Christopher in Canada 10 Jun 2013, 1:08pm

If the people who were supposedly on my team were threatening to beat me up, I’d cry too. With fellow soldiers like these, who needs enemies?

25. Hopefully the Royal Military Police will now seek to interview Lance-Corporal Wharton and Prince Harry/Capt.Wales and launch a full criminal investigation. I remember Gen.Sir Mike Jackson a few years ago saying that the modern Army doesn’t tolerate bullying,homophobia or racism.

26. Prince Harry, I thank your for serving your country. And also for standing up for the right’s of gay people.

27. Prince Harry, I commend you for standing up for the right’s of gay people. It is bad enough that we had to fight our way to get where we are.

28. Craig Smith 17 Jul 2013, 8:19pm

Always good to read a good story about people blocking homophobic abuse… however let me add, Mr Wharton (Civilian now) was kicked out the Army over his attitude and conduct. He does not do himself any favours and his attitude of “I’m the only gay in the Army” really did piss off the other gay members of the MOD of which I was one. (Ex Navy).

Can’t you see, this is just a story (although possibly true) to let Wharton continue his campaign of “I’m such a good gay and better than the rest”. The Army got him to where he is, he continuously dosobayed orders, conduct and regulations, got the boot and this is his attempt to use the Army once again for his own PR and to smite the Army? I know many members of the Cavalry and this simply is not the case. This “Iraq veteran” went once in 2003 and has never seen a warzone since. He spent most of his latest career as the Colonel’s driver……

On behalf of the entire gay mod LGBT PLEASE stop posting Wharton articles.

29. ANTONIO 20 Jan, 9:25pm

Someday Harry will make some lucky lady a great husband, and he’ll be a fantastic dad too!