Labour Lord Alli: We won the equal marriage vote but there is still a long way to go

1. Good man. Keep it up.

Btw. I thought Lord Norton of Louth spoke very well too. Worth repeating his speech here.

2. Great article and a warning against complacency. Lord Alli urges us to write to the Lords to keep up the momentum, but can we have some guidance on exactly which Lords to write to? Where can we find out how the Lords voted earlier this week?

1. The official record of the vote is half way down http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201314/ldhansrd/text/130604-0002.htm. I don’t know where you might find a list of peers who were present but abstained. I would think the obvious peers to write to would be the ones who spoke and sounded uncertain, or the ones who suggested that they support the bill but also support “protections” for teachers and registrars, or ones who sounded like they might be sympathetic to amending the bill to get rid of the spousal veto, pension inequality, etc.

1. Thanks – my pen is poised!!

2. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Jun 2013, 4:25pm

Thank you, James. I contacted 130 over the past weekend and on Monday and Tuesday of course. I’ve already started and have contacted five already. I’m not sure exactly who among those who spoke and sounded uncertain to be the ones to contact. I will of course endeavour to thank all of the 390 first. Arduous yes, but vital.

Lord Alli is absolutely right. We must write to all who voted for the Bill on 4th June and urge them to continue supporting the bill until third reading.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Jun 2013, 4:29pm

James’ link below is very helpful. You can also go to http://www.LobbyALord.org and select any or all who voted for the Bill and write to them.

3. Honestly

By passing this bill we can show today’s kids that they are equal before the law and their relationships don’t need to be hidden away but can be loved and cherished.

Yeah gay kids on an estate in Peckham will feel much safer

1. Foolish man – They will grow up with a sense of self worth – never afforded other Gay generations – No matter where they live – inclusion is half the battle towards acceptance.

2. Come on, James! – try looking at the bigger picture: there are gay kids outside of Peckham estates too, there are 65m people in the UK. And who knows? When ignorant bullies don’t have the law behind them, maybe even on Peckham estates picking on gay kids won’t seem all that cool a thing to do.

4. The house of Lords is an undemocratic joke and MISTER Alli is part of the problem.

They have no electoral mandate and it is appalling that these unelected lords have the power to pervert democracy.

The house of lords must be replaced.

Ford Mr Alli accept this? If not then he is part of the democratic defecit in this country.

1. Wrong – he like many others are working inside a system that is unlikely to change or disband – change unlike your ranking suggests is achieved (unfortunately) slowly – because living in a democracy means all points of view are considered. I am amazed by this Lord Alli and his courage and dedication.

1. Wrong.

Mr All works inside an undemocratic system.

He has no democratic mandate whatsoever.

There is absolutely no justification for the House of Lords as it currently is.

Mr Alli is part of the problem

2. Christopher Coleman 7 Jun 2013, 4:30pm

Let’s not use the word “Democracy” so much. Real democracy requires a referendum on every piece of legislation — at least three times, as with readings of bills in both houses, to encourage people to think more fully and even change their minds after hearing other points of view. This will not happen for a number of reasons, one of which is that the powerful do not want your vote on issues that affect them and their profit motive. And it shouldn’t happen until we have an electorate that is educated, informed and given to objective thought.

Beyond electing members to the Commons, the British people do not participate in democracy. You are free to speak your mind, but there is no guarantee that anyone in Parliament will listen. Two elected houses would be twice as bad as one.

Is there real democracy anywhere in the world? Ironically, the Lords provide a glimpse of democracy in practice: the unelected having a voice and a vote. It’s what all citizens should have.

1. bobbleobble 7 Jun 2013, 5:10pm

If the Lords were actually representative of people on the street I might agree that they provide a glimpse of democracy in practice. However, they are a bunch of retired politicians, party apparatchiks, religious loons and even a load of people who hold their position because of who their father was. That they have any position of power is appalling.

Real democracy as you call it is impractical on a large scale so we elect the people that we hope will represent us. We have the option of removing them on a regular basis if we decide they aren’t living up to their side of the agreement. We have no such control over the Lords. They can pretty much do and say whatever they want with impunity, they’re not even removed if they go to prison a la Archer and Taylor. It is unconscionable that this anachronism still exists and whilst I hope they continue to back SSM I also hope for their eventual demise.

1. Christopher Coleman 7 Jun 2013, 6:01pm

I pointed to the Lords BECAUSE they represent no one but themselves. Real Democracy would ideally involve all citizens in that way. Not too impractical an idea now that we have the internet. If governments can keep tabs on our phone calls, emails, and web usage, they can devise a system to count votes via the web. On the other hand, you might be happy to continue with an elected body that does not represent your interests, that you can vote out of office when you are allowed to, and replace with another bunch who’ll not undo the damage of the previous lot and go their own way in spite of you. That’s fair enough. It is a system and we know it works. But democracy it ain’t.

2. Maybe, but let’s face it, if we asked for real democracy do you really think minorities (not only gays) would be given equal rights? If you do, you have a far more positive view of society than I do!

1. Christopher Coleman 7 Jun 2013, 9:44pm

So far as I am aware, all citizens are permitted to vote, whether or not they are gay or a member of any other minority. Why would referendums via the internet be any different? Not that I shall see it happen in my lifetime. A system like the one I envisage would not suit the economic interests of the powerful. They will make sure it does not happen. That is why free trade arrangements are negotiated without input from the people, even though it is our jobs that disappear and our lives that go to hell. There is one currently being negotiated between the EU and the USA, as I read about from time to time. Do our elected leaders care what we think? Are there benefits in the plan for ordinary people?

2. Christopher, in all honesty I’m not sure I understand your point. All I meant to say is that if minority rights were put to referendums, I seriously doubt they would go through – whether in the US Deep South in relation to African-Americans’ rights, or gay rights in the UK and the Western world today.

3. SteveC. at the risk of going off at a complete tangent, why address people by the title ‘mister’ if you object to titles so much? Why not just refer to them by their given name and their family name?

It strikes me as rather petty and small-minded an objection in a world where there are far more important things to worry about.

5. Helge Vladimir Tiller 7 Jun 2013, 3:13pm

Another precious person Britain should be proud of- Lord Alli ! ( H. V. T. Norway )

6. I have a little crush on Lord Alli!

I’m going to e-mail him later to thank him.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Jun 2013, 4:31pm

Yes, he is rather appealing I must admit. I emailed him immediately after the vote but I would assume he’s not going to respond personally after his letter to PN today.

2. So do I. Or maybe, I have a big one.

I would e-mail him to ask him out.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Jun 2013, 4:47pm

I dare you! He may already be partnered though.

1. He and his professional and life partner Charlie Parsons have been a couple for quite some time (over 2 decades), I believe.

7. Colin (London) 7 Jun 2013, 10:04pm

Thank you Lord Alli and Lord Jenkins. Two of many who from different age and political views have shown the gay community, the country and quite possibly the world that we can hold hands and find a way through to an inclusive society.

Thank you to all of you working to make this happen in the UK and around the globe. Thank you