Ashcroft poll: Only 15% would be less likely to vote for a party due to its support for equal marriage

1. Enrique Esteban 7 Jun 2013, 12:20pm

PLS, SIGN TO SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE IN ROMANIA:
    Help to sign: prenume=first name; nume=family name; oras=city; tara=country.
    You’ll receive a mail and have to click on 2nd link to confirm.

2. GulliverUK 7 Jun 2013, 12:28pm

So 15% are less likely, and 12% are more likely, meaning a potential loss of 3%, before any accounting for margins of error, which are usually 2-3%. And as more and more people have a long think about this issue and decide it’s not a big issue it could easily swing in to a positive benefit for the Tories.

UKIP are screwed this morning, a YouGov/Sun poll showing they just lost 13% of their support – like I said all along that it would.

In a PN poll before the last election up to around 40% said they might vote Tory, then there were gaffes, grayling tapes and homophobic candidates and that slumped to 8%. Also, like the recent GOP report, many young people won’t vote for a party which opposes equal marriage.

3. I think people are going to be less likely to vote for pillocks like David Burrowes and Loughton who have spent their whole parliamentary time fighting gay marriage , slagging off their leader and doing sod all else…

1. bobbleobble 7 Jun 2013, 12:48pm

Loughton has a very safe seat although there’s an outside chance that Burrowes could find himself without a seat if there’s enough of a swing to Labour. It’s a long shot but it’s doable. Almost certainly his fellow swivel eyed loon Nick De Bois from the next seat over will be joining the dole queue in May 2015.

1. Colin (London) 7 Jun 2013, 2:20pm

Do you think so once society has shown their MP is so out of touch with a modern world. No bets from my side… I smell change in the wind…and an grateful for that.

1. bobbleobble 7 Jun 2013, 2:56pm

I think where Labour is in second and has a chance of overturning a majority of a nay voting Tory or Lib Dem then they may try to make some hay from this issue and it may even stick in the cities but I think it will only be a minor issue. As I say people will have largely forgotten about this by 2015 and they will be making their decision on totally different criteria.

1. Colin (London) 7 Jun 2013, 3:17pm

Actually …I sort off hope so.. I never expected this to be a major issue..There are issues that need addressing but I am honored and will serve my society because you supported us the gay community. I will repay my debt to a wider society. thank you.

4. bobbleobble 7 Jun 2013, 12:45pm

That 15% will shrink once the law is passed and it’s not an issue anymore. Assuming all goes well and the first marriages do take place next summer there’s almost a year between that and the next election and if a week is a long time in politics a year is almost an eternity!

No party will be campaigning on this issue in 2015, not even UKIP since there won’t be any point.

5. Robert (Kettering) 7 Jun 2013, 1:02pm

I think this poll is a good reflection of the reality on the street. Nobody I know even mentions SSM or is in the last bit bothered by it. The only ones making a fuss are those religious bigots who are a very small but noisy minority. Hopefully once the Bill is passed they’ll move onto other issues like denying women the vote or re-introducing slavery, after all they claim they’re being true to the Bible aren’t they!?

1. Before they get around to reintroducing slavery perhaps they will address the issues of sex outside of marriage, adultery and divorce, all condemned in the bible yet conveniently ignored by the religious. No petitioning, no hand wringing or gnashing of teeth where these issues are concerned, just the easy option of gay bashing.

6. Colin (London) 7 Jun 2013, 1:10pm

OK I’m just one person.
    However I’m from an ordinary background, had an education, lost jobs for being gay etc.
    My nieces and neffy’s and their Parents friends etc “all” welcome me as equal and tell me society has changed. I suffered I’m careful. I’ve travelled extensively with Gay Former Partner and we added to the world and straight and gay agreed.
    I actually think that Mr Cameron will get extra votes once this settles down as the general population who don’t care about SSM respect him for moving society forward. We will as a country be respected for moving this whole “EQUALITY” issue forward. It has repercussions in Europe and Africa as well as in other walks of life eg disability, transgender. It’s what you bring to the table that matters.

7. This should be called blue news it so tory