Poll: 57% of people in Northern Ireland now support equal marriage

1. Enrique Esteban 6 Jun 2013, 2:27pm

Pls, sign to support equal marriage in Romania.
    Help to sign: prenume=first name; nume=family name; oras=city; tara=country.
    You’ll receive a mail and have to click on 2nd link to confirm.

2. That There Other David 6 Jun 2013, 3:08pm

Not surprising. The brand of Protestantism practised in Northern Ireland is stuck somewhere in the 1930s (and that’s me being kind).

However, perhaps these Proddy voters in favour need to realise that voting along sectarian lines leaves them stuck in the 1930s too. If they could only break with the idea that they need to vote in DUP to stop Sinn Fein they’ll suddenly realise how much progress they could make.

1. More like the 1630s (and that’s me being accurate) ;-)

2. Michael126 7 Jun 2013, 10:16am

It’s not just Protestants idiot. SInn Fein murdered and maimed Protestants to try and force us into a United Ireland. How would you feel if Al Qaeda suddenly became members of Parliament. Would you not vote to keep them out. Sick of people sticking their nose in when they clearly know nothing about the place.

1. That There Other David 8 Jun 2013, 1:30pm

Exactly what I’m always on about when talking about Northern Ireland. The Proddys are stuck in the past and unable to see the future. The Nationalists meanwhile have evolved.

BTW, I have family in Ballymena. I know enough about the nonsense they’ve gone through over the years to build an informed opinion, let alone seen with my own eyes when visiting there.

1. Michael126 10 Jun 2013, 8:04am

Very biased point of view. Expect nothing less from the evolved Nationalist side. Sure Nationalists/Republicans do nothing wrong. The poor misunderstood Sinn Fein/IRA are whiter than white…….

1. That There Other David 12 Jun 2013, 6:39pm

Except of course my family are Proddys…

Nice try though.

3. This made me chuckle. What a headache for the dinosaur leaders of the Northern Irish political parties!

4. Robert (Kettering) 6 Jun 2013, 3:22pm

If I lived in Northern Ireland I’d vote Sinn Fein for sure and I’m not even a Catholic. I urge all LGBT people to vote Sinn Fein and put the wind up the DUP bigots and homophobes.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Jun 2013, 8:19pm

Ideally, catholics should outnumber protestants there. Imagine a referendum reuniting the North with the South. Now that would piss of the DUP and then finding out that a referendum in the republic will bring in equal marriage. Sweet revenge. How we would gloat. They can all go throw themselves off a cliff. Any takers, Ian Paisley Jr, Jim Shannon?

1. That There Other David 7 Jun 2013, 10:16am

Unfortunately for the scenario only a minority of Northern Irish Catholics want to reunify with the Republic. The Belfast Telegraph carried out a poll in 2012 which gave 48% of Catholics in favour or a united Ireland within the next 20 years, 38% wanting to remain in the UK, and 14% not caring either way.

What I’m hoping for instead is a move in Northern Irish politics towards issues based parties rather than sectarian ones. Sinn Fein have already grasped that they need to change and are embracing the future. Sadly the Unionist side can’t yet let go of history.

2. Michael126 7 Jun 2013, 10:18am

It would also start a civil war idiot. Everyone seems to think reuniting Ireland would be the end of all our troubles. Reality check is needed.

6. If it can’t be stopped in Ulster, it can’t be stopped.