Lauryn Hill defends song accused of ‘homophobic’ lyrics

1. Huh?

2. She once said she didn’t like white people listening to her music. She’s a silly cow.

1. I bet she wishes she had some white listeners now and more than likely soon any gay listeners. Old broke has-been.

2. burningworm 12 Jun 2013, 2:09pm

Thats a distortion and a lie and oblige you to stop perpetrating lies

3. It’s official, Lauryn Hill is a homophobe.
    Disappointing but not surprising.

4. Scott Larsen 6 Jun 2013, 5:23pm

Personally, as a out and proud gay man, I have long felt the drag queen aspect in our community has taken a far-too-large center of attention. But it is taboo to criticize these men for all the self-promoting good they do. I’m sure I’ll be ‘told’ differently. Let the criticism fly…

1. I’m not going to launch an attack on you ;)
      I put it down to a marmite reaction – some people like drag queens, some don’t.
      I don’t see how they take centre of attention apart from when they are in whatever venue they are working.
      To take centre of attention I would expect to see them in articles all the time and news stories etc etc.

2. thelostdot 6 Jun 2013, 10:43pm

Ah right, so they have to live their lives like you want, to please you! Not a bit selfish you don’t think?

3. The portrayal of women within drag culture is more often than not horribly misogynistic. Of course mentioning this is taboo and is seen as ‘criticising gay culture’ (just as pointing out the homophobia in hip hop is sometimes attacked as being critical of black culture).

But if a straight guy dresses up and acts like a grotesque exaggeration of a gay stereotype for laughs we rightly see it as homophobic. If a white person paints their face black and pretends to be a black stereotype it rightly appals us… but guys dressing up as grotesque stereotypes of femininity is for some reason beyond any kind of criticism, to the point where we are even sometimes classed as bigots for OPPOSING it.

It makes little sense to me.

1. Hold up gurl, you’re totally wrong. You have just proved one thing: many gay men have an aversion to those who embody the femininity from which they are always trying dissociate themselves because it perpetuates the view that gay men have failed at manhood. For many, drag performance is a way of negotiating one’s gender identity. Drag allows confused individuals an outlet for gender experimentation when they feel ambiguity with their own identity. The drag identity is neither masculine nor feminine, but rather a complex collective of characteristics that challenges society’s traditionally polarised view of gender. Essentially, the drag queen creates a third gender category in a society where being gay means the individual lacks masculinity and, subsequently, power.

1. I think there’s truth in both our points, I don’t think they are mutually exclusive. But thanks for the intelligent reply.

I think that a movement with the admirable goals you state is still capable of falling victim to the negative stereotypes of femininity that society at large still holds.

I’ve seen some drag that does it well, but mostly it relies on grotesque, exaggerated representations of women

2. Oh, and for the record, I have no problem with those who express femininity… There’s also a big difference between drag and trans. I think it’s good and helpful to play with taboos of gender conformity and to break social rules on, say, gender specific fashion or behaviour. But let’s be honest… most drag is not a million miles away from the cheap laughs we get from Cinderella’s ugly sisters or the humour of little Britain… It’s about grotesques – exaggerating certain features to the point of comedy. When done against other groups/minorities it is universally condemned, when done against women it is applauded as progressive.

I always get thumbed down and called self-hating or stupid for suggesting this, but I never get an answer on why it’s different from, say, blackface. The reason I really appreciated your answer is that it was at least intelligent and thoughtful.

4. Drag is naked misogony. Women are called fish ffs.

5. No she didn’t. She avoided the question. In fact, she repeated her homophobia:

“Neurotic Society is a song about people not being, or not being able to be, who and what they truly are, due to the current social construct, I am not targeting any particular group of people, but rather targeting everyone in our society who hides behind neurotic behavior, rather than deal with it.”

That is just presenting GBLT people as neurotic.

1. Midnighter 6 Jun 2013, 7:23pm

Exactly how I read that. We also don’t understand what “normal” is apparently, and are part of a an “unhealthiness and breakdown” of society.

Oh well, I feel so much better now.

6. Another homophobic [c]rap singer that no one has heard of – seems mandatory for this “music” genre.

7. Enrique Esteban 6 Jun 2013, 6:52pm

Pls, sign to support equal marriage in Romania.
    Help to sign: prenume=first name; nume=family name; oras=city; tara=country.
    You’ll receive a mail and have to click on 2nd link to confirm.

8. friday jones 6 Jun 2013, 10:39pm

Oh look, another “lesbian” of convenience who talks like a bigoted straight creep. We seem to have a lot of these phony pretend bisexuals in the entertainment industries.

9. thelostdot 6 Jun 2013, 10:46pm

You just know as soon as somebody starts splashing the word normal about that you’ve got a repressed half-wit. Oh, normal, but so and why normal? So only normal is normal? If it isn’t what she thinks is normal it…..such penetrating insight!

10. Barry William Teske 6 Jun 2013, 11:00pm

wow she is a real mess inside.
    oh well success does that.

11. “The whole world suffers from a lack of honest dialogue….” Clearly Lauryn’s recent tax evasion highlights this. She really shouldn’t put her neurosis on us though.

12. Lauryn dear, you’re only able to release such “music” due to the very “trends” you’re against.

I’ll quote one very apt line from this “song” of hers: “hypocrites can’t even see their own part in this.”

13. OK Lauren, we may not be ‘normal’ people in your eyes but at least we pay our taxes and do not shirk our responsibilities!

14. Sister Mary Clarence 8 Jun 2013, 1:11am

“The whole world suffers from a lack of honest dialogue.”

Yes, that honest dialogue seemed to be missing when you were discussing tax with the IRS as I recall.