France: Gay rights campaigner, 18, left brain dead after far-right attack

1. This is a shocking event.

My heart goes out to his family and friends and I hope that those responsible are found and feel the full weight of the law.

2. This animals need to be punished , really disgusting and as for this woman from the far right she’s as much to blame !

1. Slightlyamused 6 Jun 2013, 8:56pm

I love how these people spew hatred from the very core of their being and then act indignant when you suggest their words are spurring on others.

3. Enrique Esteban 6 Jun 2013, 1:00pm

Pls, sign to support equal marriage in Romania:
    Help to sign: prenume=first name; nume=family name; oras=city; tara=country.
    You’ll receive a mail and have to click on 2nd link to confirm.

1. Enrique, I empathise with you but, you are posting on an article of someone getting beaten badly, this is not the right place.

1. I don’t. Although i support his cause, that website seems dodgy- as if they are begging to steal your information.

4. “Making this kind of association is scandalous, I’d like to know very much who this witness is,” Le Pen said.

I’ll bet you would, dear. I’ll bet you would…

5. Midnighter 6 Jun 2013, 1:02pm

“Making this kind of association is scandalous, I’d like to know very much who this witness is,” Le Pen said. ‘You have no proof at all.”

What shameless garbage. I’m sure you would like to know, no doubt so you could send the boys around to “have a word”, eh Le Pen?

6. Bloody hell, PN, you might have had the decency to proof-read the headline.

7. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Jun 2013, 1:15pm

An abominable crime. My deepest sympathies for his family and friends.

Amazing how the right wingers distance themselves right away. I’m now waiting for Frigide Barjot and her gang of hate-mongers to respond. It’s quite conceivable the perpetrators of this crime marched in Manif Pour Tous! Of course they flee like rats from a sinking ship. Disgustingly vile. It’s a pity France abolished the guillotine.

8. How appalling, the poor kid. What on earth is going on in France? It’s the last Western European country I’d have thought such homophobic violence would flare up in.

1. That There Other David 6 Jun 2013, 1:59pm

Sadly the far right has always had a foothold in French democracy. Islamophobia, anti-Semitism, and homophobia all raise their heads there from time to time, more so than here in the UK.

This poor young guy and his poor family. One can only hope this shocks the French nation into combating the extremists that the anti-equality campaigns have emboldened into violence. If not, even if these three are caught there will be other attacks.

9. PeterinSydney 6 Jun 2013, 1:20pm

My heart breaks for this young man and his family. Now where are the hate mongers the Cardinal of Paris and Madam Frigid? You should be ashamed of yourselves for encouraging this violence.,

10. Charliej95 6 Jun 2013, 1:38pm

My heart goes out ot the family and friends of Clement.: :( May his spirit crossover peacefully.

These far right pigs need to be put down!!. Why should the LGBT community be picked on by the far-right for the economic problems ???

Le Pen and her minions are nothing more than evil thugs, whom are adding the economic collapse by encouraging unrest which puts off job creators from France.

The Front National must answer for their crimes !!! In order to prevent hate crimes like this happening again.

11. “it is the latest violent homophobic attack to have taken place in France in recent months.”

I think you should be more careful about what you write … we don’t have enough informations to assert that it is a homophobic attack … he was mainly a student union activist and a anti-facist activist.

I’m gay and I support gay rights but this is misinformation!

12. This is the worst kind of homophobia. This poor boy and family. No words… just…ugh.

13. Awful news, my sympathy goes out to his friends and family, poor guy. Im quite sure there will be endless blaming of the gay marriage bill for “stirring” up things from the far right, and it doesnt look like they are going to accept responsibility for this vile act. Wonder if the french can reopen Devils Island for these scum, a bit of Papillon style beheading would do wonders for them…

14. Samothrace 6 Jun 2013, 2:26pm

I agree that this crime is abominable, and it touched the whole country. However, it has been said absolutely nowhere that Clément was linked in any way to the LGBT community. He was part of a left-wing action group against violences from far-right activists, and this is why he was recognized by his attackers. I know my country is becoming sadly famous for its growing homophobia, but let’s not see it everywhere or make too quickly links that don’t exist.

15. Jacob Dugan-Brause 6 Jun 2013, 2:27pm

I won’t be popular for seeing this, but where in the story does it report how the student was identified as gay to his attackers?

“It is the latest violent homophobic attack to have taken place in France in recent months.”

Back check here: the bold face lead says Clément was a ‘gay rights campaigner’. But read the story. Nowhere does it tell us how his attackers knew their victim was gay.

I did research documenting this kind of thing in the states and this is NOT the way to report homophobic animus.

Perhaps they knew him to be gay and set out to kill him; it is also possible, given this story, that they did not know he was gay, only a ready victim for their hatred.

And in that case, it was fascists out to get someone, anyone.

16. On the Other hand 6 Jun 2013, 2:37pm

I just saw an extensive item this on France24 lunchtime news and there was absolutely no mention of him being gay or a gay rights campaigner. It was billed as a left winger attacked by skinheads from the far right.

17. I think it would have been important to mention that he was not only a gay rights activist, but also an anti-fascist activist. The two things are important to each other.

RIP

18. He was attacked for being an anti-fascist, why didn’t you mention this PinkNews? :-( Is anti-fascism not important to you? :-(

I’m starting to think it’s not… It’s a real shame.

19. Robin Day 6 Jun 2013, 2:41pm

Whether or not their party members were directly involved is irrelevant. The anti-gay rhetoric they spout is largely responsible for attacks like this.

20. A few people appear to be saying that this is not a homophobic attack, I did some digging and found this.

There appears to be more to this story.

1. Thank you David. That is enlightening.

Whilst this poor young man may be gay, it appears that the attack may not have been entirely homophobic, but rather politically (fascist/anti-fascist) oriented.

We should be very careful not to overplay the victim card. That’s the Christians job

2. Jacob Dugan-Brause 6 Jun 2013, 4:19pm

Thank you for this contribution, David. I’m one of the folks being voted down above (together with two French nationals, it seems) for observing the PN reporter wasn’t supported by his own facts. There was some poor editing here and too many people don’t read carefully. That’s where we, as minorities, get accused of prejudicing conclusions.

I know there is homophobic violence: I’ve experienced personally. I also know from my time doing civil rights field research, that one must check and re-check the facts, as best they can be determined before reaching for proof of a causal relationship between hate and crime.

This reporter didn’t and he may have been off the mark.

21. NickDavisGB 6 Jun 2013, 3:00pm

Appeasement didn’t work last time, it won’t work again as these “people” don’t respect others.
    Only one solution – the same as last time – take the fight to their door.

22. I thought the French were open about sexuality. Does the rest of the world have a false impression about the French being a liberated bunch? I would expect this type of violence in response to gay marriage from the UK. As a nation, France should feel shame.

1. Abp Weasel 6 Jun 2013, 3:41pm

You missed the entire plot of Cage aux Folles then.

23. There is now blood on the hands of the retiring Bishop of Paris

24. DISGUSTING….

25. Helge Vladimir Tiller 6 Jun 2013, 3:48pm

I join all the comments made by sincere persons here, reacting with anger and sorrow -mourning over this bright and lovely boy ! It is our duty to cry. And I know you all do , inside your hearts and openly down your cheeks.

26. This crime is absolutely appalling! I hope that all those demonstrating against the love of same sex marriage hang their heads in shame. I hope that the religious nutters pray to their god for forgiveness.

27. Manif pour tous (sister group of JNR) , frigide barjot and the paris bishop must be partying at this news, they were warning and praying for violence and must be deliriously happy that this happened.

28. Le Pen, Farjot, Catholic Bishops, Boutin..all of you are responsible and should be held to account for your terrible doings in a court of law. They stirred up the pot knowing very well that the scraps on the bottom of this putrid stew of hate would add a dreadful seasoning. Now eat it and choke. Poor fella, lets hope his departure can lead to something positive, enough now!

29. As a French national, it still amazes me as to how deep this romanticised view of France is rooted in most foreigners minds. The reality can be a shock, and this latest incident involving the far right is only the tip of the iceberg. For the French, the BNP is a bit of a joke, insofar that from a political standpoint, it’d be considered a right wing party in France, not a far right party. People holding FASCIST sentiment in France are many, they are well organised and have more popular support, sadly that you might think. Especially in picturesque Provence, where they often hold local power with an iron grip.

1. marshlander 7 Jun 2013, 12:28am

Condolences to the family of Clément Méric. Words really seem inadequate at times of such unnecessary loss.

I am in France for some time every month with my French partner and I am sorry that I have observed what Blue has mentioned. Popular support for what many here would consider extreme ideas is more deeply embedded than I would like to admit. Even among our friends there are some who say shocking things about, for example, immigration. In the light of recent events in Paris it is not so surprising that my man is very reluctant to hold hands in public.

Thankfully most of our friends would be just as horrified as the rest of us about this latest attack.

30. The title is misleading. From what is published online in LeFigaro.fr, he was a brilliant young man, actively involved in students union and with a passion for many political issues, not just gay rights.
    He should not be portrayed as a gay rights activist and a martyr for the cause.
    It is a very sad and disturbing story indeed, no matter what or who he was.

31. my heart goes out to clement and his family at this time. it is such a shame that his life ended so abruptly and all for sake of an argument. i personally cannot stand neo nazis they are all hate mongers and i hope those responsible are brought to justice and are made to feel the full wrath of the law.

32. soapbubblequeen 6 Jun 2013, 4:56pm

Disgusting!!!!!
    I hope these pig filth who did this all die slow and agonizing deaths.

33. GulliverUK 6 Jun 2013, 5:07pm

These Nazis, which we don’t and will never tolerant in the UK, were incited by the Catholic church and other faith organisations. They ramped up the rhetoric and hate crimes increased, and these skinheads took that as a green light to murder an innocent boy. The churches must pay for their crimes, they must not be allowed to escape from secular justice by hiding behind their religion, just like they did with child abuse. This is the Catholic church oince again promoting hate against us and we need them brought to justice, finally, for this murder.

And other faith groups played their part too – they are also culpable.

1. Sean Michael Hunter 6 Jun 2013, 5:16pm

Gulliver, buddy….when is murder EVER justified…..homosexual or not….?

1. GulliverUK 6 Jun 2013, 5:35pm

Well, it’s subjective … apparently .. because Hitler and the Nazi seems to think they were doing right, and Hitler said his faith inspired his actions – he was a Catholic.

But we know murder is never right, just like slavery – which religions once championed.

34. Christopher in Canada 6 Jun 2013, 5:11pm

When was the last time ANYONE was beaten/assaulted/killed by a member of the Gay Community?

It defies logic. At the very least, you’d think the skinhead guys would be thankful that they’d have one less man to compete for a woman against – so much for Darwinism.

I fantasize about getting a gang of gay bodybuilders to roam about and harrass str8′s – but none of my friends would ever stoop to being so low. Besides, we’d rather go dancing… and maybe therein lies the problem…

1. But this probably wasn’t a homophobic attack per se. More an attack on a GROUP of ant-fascists. The report here is misleading

35. Sean Michael Hunter 6 Jun 2013, 5:13pm

II was literally in tears hearing about Clement, as well as the cabaret dancer in Nice. I would have expected MORE from France in protecting its citizens. You skinhead fascist trash should be ashamed of yourselves. Marine, the woman from the far right, is as much to blame for the death of an 18-year old who she should have been protecting. This should not go unpunished. HEAR YE HEAR YE….someone’s SEXUAL ORIENTATION is not an excuse for this type of behavior. JERKS!

36. It’s not such a long while since I discovered first-hand that Paris is not the dreamland of Piaf, accordeons, and black berets that I was conditioned to think it was. And now we see that Paris can equal the most appalling crimes committed here in the UK, the USA, and elsewhere.

Nevertheless I still find this news deeply deeply saddening. We can only TRY to imagine the suffering of his family.

1. I doubt this would happen in the U.K – France is proving to have quite a savage streak.

1. You doubt it “would happen” Bob? It sounds like you don’t follow the UK news closely.

Vicious attacks on gay men, and even lesbians, HAVE HAPPENED here in the UK, particularly in the last six months, as more and more homophobes have wriggled out of the woodwork due to the Same Sex Couples Bill.

Just look back through the PinkNews archives and you’ll see all the accounts of such attacks here in the UK.

37. Whether Clement Meric was gay, a lgbt-activist, an anti fascist, or simply walking down the road and got picked at random, is to my mind very much beside the point – He was attacked and it was an attack carried out by anti-gay fascists. let’s not start detract from the issue here. These people are out of control.

38. Another tragic loss. Bunch of bastards say they had no link to the murderers. Yeah right. Who are they trying to convince, decent society or themselves?

39. WOW!!! Arrest Frigide BArjot and Le Pen, among right wing Nazis who incite voilence against LGBT in France! This is truly devastating! We, Filipino LGBTs, condmened this acts of violence and hatred! Hollande, stand firm and use all your power to stop and put these perpetuators behind bars! Far-rights French Nazi are sickening not only the FRench society but the whole world! Too much blood! Justice should be deliver as soon as possible for the victim!

40. GO TO HELL!!! Le Pen and FN, you better not go here in America or will peel your skin off!

41. This poor young man and his family deserve all our love and suport .

42. Where the Catholic leaders and reliogious nuts? Why are they quiet about this violence???? TRULY SHAMEFUL! blood on their hands!

1. GulliverUK 6 Jun 2013, 6:52pm

They aren’t condemning it because I suspect some of them are secretly pleased – as sick in the head as they are. Blood is on their hands and it can never be washed off. They can never repent what they’ve done. And they should never be forgiven.

43. Heartbreaking.

44. James Campbell 6 Jun 2013, 7:58pm

Those who attribute an escalation of violence against those denied equality to moves towards redress are no different from those who excuse the concentration camps on the basis that Jews, gay people, ethnic minorities (e.g. Romanies) and disabled people were ‘different’ and therefore inferior. Every voice raised in condemnation of extending rights that others take for granted contributes to the actions taken by fascists.

Are you listening Baroness Knight; Lord Carey; Lord Dannat; Rt Revd Justin Welby and assorted pseudo ‘Christians’ plus self-righteous politicians who apparently are only interested in representing those whom they ‘approve’ of? Although they may condemn violence, I find it unbelievable that they are unaware that their words could stir up latent hatred and be used as an excuse to take action, including murder.

45. This is not a homophobic crime . This is a heinous crime . He was not a gay right activist . Nothing to do with gay . Rest in peace

46. Kris Black 6 Jun 2013, 9:22pm

Can only say how very sad, and very angry I feel that this young life has been snuffed out by facism and intolerance.
    My heart goes out to all who mourn his loss.

47. Garth Barnov 6 Jun 2013, 10:59pm

Fascism is a disease, stamp out it, RIP comrade! We won’t rest until the fascist scum is gone

48. Barry William Teske 6 Jun 2013, 11:03pm

Like I keep saying…France never got rid of the infection of hate from World War 2 and the Nazi Occupation.

49. Colin (London) 7 Jun 2013, 1:20pm

French good hearted people come together and shout loud “not in my name . There is space for us all…diversity adds to society”
    Of the French people I know..They are open minded. I ask you to shout loud to protect others and not be quiet.

50. Nicthalon 7 Jun 2013, 5:33pm

I’m starting to think we should have left France to the Germans.

51. RedDevil9 7 Jun 2013, 5:51pm

Cowards. Beating up an 18 year old? :/

52. Helge Vladimir Tiller 8 Jun 2013, 12:22pm

THEN IT IS CLEAR, once and for all. This bright and brave guy have participated in GAY RIGHTS DEMONSTRATIONS. ( I’ve seen pictures from last April.

53. How Horrible! This poor youth killed by ignorance and bigotry! He and his family are in my heart and prayers.