Gay Tory peer Lord Black: ‘I am a passionate supporter of equal marriage because I believe in family values’

1. Colin (London) 4 Jun 2013, 1:03am

Perfectly put.
    I certainly hid my life at work and had 5 pre thoughout replies when colleagues asked about my weekend or private life.
    One chairman of a public company said he would have no gays on the Board.
    I cannot thank all the people involved in this massive change enough. I’m a very practical person but my eyes fill easikly at the moment as I dare to see my two gay nieces walk in their professions with their heads high both of whom want to marry at some point.

I’m in NZ currently as so wish I was in London as I too would be outside Parliament currently.
    Thank you to all who worked so hard on this. Thank you.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 4 Jun 2013, 7:09am

Beautiful Words ! Hug from Norway and a positive life with love and happiness to you-

2. I can’t see I would have much in common with this man on a day-to-day basis, but on this topic he’s bang on.

Thank you Lord Black for stating our case so clearly and from the heart.

3. A very moving speech and one all about love and respect – a far cry from the nasty haters like Lord Dear and Baroness Knight.

4. PeterinSydney 4 Jun 2013, 8:25am

Well done Lord Black, may many of the peers be encouraged by your noble words.

1. Nobel words. I want to vomit. I have 2 friends who have left the uk due to homophobia and they are encouraging me to leave too. Don’t be fooled marriage is for the wealthy for most gay people especially those living in social housing, or disabled are more concerned about bedroom tax and support cuts. Thuis government are cruel and attacking the poorest. This marriage malarkey is a smokescreen for they have nothing but contempt for the poorest and most vulnerable. Th man is a tory and supports those cuts

5. I rememr 2 gayguys in Bromley. One got stabbed to death the other as left with scars both physical and mental. I don’t remember this Lord speaking out or attending a vigil. He’s only interested in other upper class reactionary gay snobs and f the rest.

Marriage for some for most its survival

1. James!, cheer up. There are bad things about this government, but there are also good. Wouldn’t it be better if you focused on the positive of what is happening at the moment. If we achieve equality through marriage then in the future, generations won’t see us as second class citizens that they can murder. I’m not a Tory, I’m not defending spending cuts, I look after someone who is disabled – as you mentioned above – so I have an understanding of the struggle of life that you are talking about. But you have to look on the bright side of what is happening – it’s only for good, so why make it out and think of it being something bad?

1. One of me ex service users killed himself as he couldn’t face the cuts.

Sorry but the tories have got it all wrong

2. Colin (London0 4 Jun 2013, 1:26pm

James
      I understand your comments as you feel marginalised. Some of us are working to stop this as we also felt it. The difference is we worked out that we needed to become a bit part of it so we could change it. We have not sold you out but work for inclusive society for all free from inequality and all that word means. Hold strong and take the batton on yourself to help us and not give in to dispair. Be strong mate….be strong.

6. In view of the Telegraph’s venomous anti-gay campaign-I am absolutely astounded that this man actually works for them!!!

BUT-I suppose its the same with Andrew Pierce being editor of the Daily Mail!!

1. Bit harsh to compare him to Andrew Pierce!

7. Jacob Dugan-Brause 4 Jun 2013, 10:45am

Mr Black is quite eloquent in his argument and rhetoric. I do take exception a bit to J S Mill as a philosopher; but that aside, it’s a remarkable speech for a Conservative apologist of equality in marriage.

My difficulty, though, is with this nonsense of title honours — I just can’t abide by the business and consequently I haven’t written to any of these ‘peers’, even though I wish to.

Does anyone know an appropriate protocol to engage when one cannot abide these (highly undemocratic) titles?

I know this might all sound silly, but good suggestions would be appreciated!

1. How about just ‘Dear Sir’ or ‘Dear Madam’?

1. Jacob Dugan-Brause 4 Jun 2013, 1:34pm

I would normally but would’t some ‘peers’ find this a bad end to a good read? I’ve dealt with many (too many) politicians in the USA where my husband and I used to live.

I know many officials do find pretension hard to resist, so if one loses them at the first two words, why bother?

1. Why not just suppress your irritation with formalities temporarily for the greater good? If you use the LobbyaLord website it even fills in the salutation for you, so you needn’t sully your fingertips typing the loathed honorifics!

8. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Jun 2013, 12:56pm

Lovely speech although it troubles me that he’s connected with the Telegraph.

To digress, I just received a response from Archbishop Welby in regard to my support for the Bill and disestablishment of the CoE.. He simply said…”Thank you for taking the trouble to write so carefully.”

What kind of a response is that? Totally out of touch!