Tory Lord Fowler: It would be ‘politically suicidal’ for the Lords to vote against equal marriage

1. Peter & Michael 3 Jun 2013, 7:48pm

The live streaming from Pink News in regard to the House of Lord’s debate has not been consistent, stopping and starting again which is annoying. We tried to find the debate on Parliament TV to no avail, we are the public and we should be allowed to view the proceedings in this matter and because the outcome will affect all LGBT people why are we being left out ?

1. go to democracy live (http://www.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/21006889), its the best stream you’ll get

1. In fact, you can use other players but only Silverlight seems to show the name of the person speaking.

2. Midnighter 3 Jun 2013, 7:48pm

Good stuff. Lord Dear further attacked for a disingenuous fool, and the subtle warning of consequences from a public backlash if they interfere with democracy.

3. Lord Fowler has been playing a blinder so far. Consistently well argued, logical points.

4. What a star! I sincerely hope that Lord Dear has put that speech in his pipe and is even now puffing away furiously.

5. Sister Mary Clarence 3 Jun 2013, 8:27pm

I’m very impressed with the resounding support from a quarter I would not have expected it from

6. GulliverUK 3 Jun 2013, 8:31pm

Actually I think we should abolish the House of Lords. — and all religions — regardless of how this bill turns out. I have never been so angry at those sad stupid ignorant bigoted filthy old Lords – and it is mostly the OLD doddery nearly-dead zimmer-frame zombies which inhabit that place. This is making me really hate those swivel-eyed loons who are opposing this. They’re sick in the head.

1. Christopher Coleman 4 Jun 2013, 5:42am

You might get your wish; but will you rejoice if you end up with a body like the US Senate? I doubt it. The elderly Lords, whom you disparage, are actually doing us a favour, albeit unintentionally. They are prodding us to sharpen our arguments and stand by our positions on intellectual grounds and not just emotional ones.

7. GulliverUK 3 Jun 2013, 9:21pm

Lord Gummer doing an incredible job – people like him turn it all around.

8. Fowler is a feckin legend. Dear totally skewered.

9. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Jun 2013, 10:07pm

Fantastic speech, really nailed the bigots good and proper. I think it will pass and again in the third reading.

Perhaps this Bill will elicit stronger support for Lords reform, ideally its abolition entirely just like New Zealand as well as a clarion call to disestablish the state cult, something I wrote to Welby about earlier today.

Everyone of us should write to the Bishops in the House telling them that disestablishment could well be a reality. This Bill passing could well be a protagonist in bringing it about.

10. CH Brighton 3 Jun 2013, 10:26pm

Wow. Thank you Norman! You’ve nailed it good and proper.

11. Εκηβόλος 3 Jun 2013, 11:08pm

EXACTLY ! UK gay marriage will be agreat example for many other democratic countries like my country Greece. First France , now UK soon Germany it’s a really big revolution not only for EU but all Europe !

12. The unelected undemocratic house of lords should be abolished.

13. aunite babs 4 Jun 2013, 12:46am

umm am totally surprised but totally delighted by this response…..well done that man….

14. Norman Fowler was always one of the better Tories. As health minister in the otherwise homophobic Thatcher government, he was a beacon of tolerance. His anti-Aids campaign, even though the adverts with those icebergs and vague phrases were much ridiculed at the time, bent over backwards to stress that AIDS was not a ‘gay disease.’ The contrast with the inaction in America at the time was stark. And now we have this excellent speech in support of gay marriage. Thank you, Lord Fowler.

15. More excellent good sense from Lord Fowler, what a fantastic speech – I hope his fellow-Conservatives take due note of it.

16. Brilliant to see that the Lords are really debating this matter and that people like Mr. Fowler are speaking with integrity, saying what they really think, refuting nonsense and calling it for what it is: nonsense.

17. Jock S. Trap 4 Jun 2013, 11:33am

Excellent speech and I have to say his comment:-

“although it is something of a wonder to me to see how civil partnerships have suddenly become so popular among those I do not remember supporting them up until now”

How true… have been thinking that myself.

1. Yes, I particularly liked that line too!

18. A tour-de-force in the same league as Geoffrey Howe’s and Robin Cook’s resignation speeches. It is not only an eloquent plea for equality, but a superb reminder of the best principles of Parliamentary democracy in an age of terrible cynicism and corruption in politics.

19. Benny Rees 27 Jun 2013, 7:33pm

Thank you, Lord Fowler – you’ve my undying respect!