Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby: I support equality but cannot vote for the equal marriage bill

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Jun 2013, 5:48pm

He can’t have it both ways. He either supports equality including equal marriage or he doesn’t. No cherry picking, Welby. It’s not the bible being debated today, tomorrow and in the days ahead.

Well, my only hope now is that there will indeed be a very huge backlash against the CoE even when the Bill passes into law. Abstaining isn’t going to exonerate them. They are all on notice.

2. Robert (Kettering) 3 Jun 2013, 5:50pm

You will still go down in history as just another old homophobic bigot when, in a 100 years hence, people read in amazement that Gay people were treated so appallingly by the Church.

You and the C of E are on the wrong side of history and doubtless even Welby will come to realise this fact in due course.

3. Gosh, this is so cringey. I have more respect for Dear and Carey, at least we know where we stand with them. Welby and Stevens are like watered-down versions of them, pleading with people to forgive their bigotry whilst carrying on with it. Really bad call.

4. I support equality but will vote to retain inequality??

5. I love christians…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. being fed to the lions.

6. “Please, please don’t call us bigots and homophobes, were religious people we have to abide by OUR interpretation of dogs will”

CRINGE

7. glasgow1975 3 Jun 2013, 6:00pm

I support equality (but not when it really matters)

8. “I support equality but don’t support equality” enough of these pathetic, slimey dodges. he’s a bigot, he doesn’t support equality, he’s a homophobe. And no matter how many speeches he makes, no matter how nicely he tries to phrase it, that doesn’t change

1. Totally!

9. Welby is an evil bigot.

Separation of church and state now!!!

10. all I can say is , that for his and his alike sake , that there isn’t an after life .

11. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Jun 2013, 6:14pm

I just tweeted this tosser and told him that opposition to the Bill and listening to Lord Dear’s vile comments has now garnered surging support for disestablishment of the state cult. I tweeted the same to Sentamu and Hill, the bishop of Bristol.

If any of you want to tweet them, their hastags are:

@ABCJustin
    @johnSentamu
    @bishopmikehill

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Jun 2013, 6:16pm

ooops…hashtags I meant.

Have any of you had problems sending emails to the Lords using the http://www.LobbyALord site? I’ve sent 92 since Saturday but yesterday and today, the ‘send’ button stopped working. It’s very frustrating. I aim to continue to writing to them up until the third reading.

12. Welby does not support equality, why does he continue to pretend that he does, vile and contemptible being that he is.

13. So according to the archbigot some people are more equal than others, which also means everyone must do as as the religious nutters say.

14. He supports equality but is against treating same-sex and opposite-sex couples equally in marriage law (calling it awkward). Methinks he doesn’t understand the meaning of the word “equality”.

15. Oh dear ! I know I shouldn’t but the more I see of this man the more I see a swivel eyed loon,

16. Robert (Kettering) 4 Jun 2013, 12:58am

May I remind Archbigot Welby that not so long ago the C of E argued against the Ordination of Women to the Priesthood on the grounds it was “against Biblical teaching & 2000 years of tradition”?!

Then of course, enlightened clerics re-interpreted that Biblical teaching and reassessed “tradition” and came to the conclusion it was right to Ordain women.

So then Mr Welby, how come then you cannot use the same logic to understand that your attitude to Gay people is also clearly wrong? Why can’t you re-interpret Biblical teaching and put aside 2000 years of Church sanctioned homophobia and bigotry and support equality for Gay people?

The reason, as we all know, is that it’s nothing really to do with Biblical teaching but everything to do with prejudice, bigotry and homophobia!

Hang your head in shame Archbigot!

1. Because it takes the church a couple of hundred years longer to come around to what seemed obvious to everyone else at the time. This can be attributed to arrogance, privilege and the desperate need to hold on to power.

17. So, so sick of these unelected f*ckers. Who cares what they think!

18. How clever. He’s taking the Pontius Pilot, fence straddling, future face saving weasel way out. “I didn’t order his execution, the PEOPLE did! Didn’t you see me wash my hands and take no responsibility?” This ass hat is setting himself up so that in future, when everyone is outraged at the ignorance and hate that was displayed in this debate, he will say, “but I offered an olive branch and apologized for the church’s assault on gays right before I did my duty and voted against marriage equality!”

What a weasel! What an ass!

Apology NOT accepted you forked tongued serpent!