UK: Equal marriage rally to coincide with House of Lords debate

1. i’m gonna try my best to get down there and show my support! I can only hope that as many of the Lords and Ladies as possible vote on the right side of history

1. Me too :-)

2. Robert in S. Kensington 30 May 2013, 2:29pm

I think they will, Lindsey. We have to keep a positive attitude, send good karma to them.

2. If the house of lords votes against equality then the protests may turn violent.

And rightly so. if the unelected H of L votes against this then it must be overthrown.

An unelected house cannot and should not be allowed to pervert our democracy.

3. The vote is on Tuesday afternoon, not Monday night.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 May 2013, 2:44pm

Do you know when it actually starts, Dave? If it’s concluding at 5 p.m., I can’t imagine it starting later than 1 p.m. to allow for adequate debate. Let’s hope that the opponents aren’t given more time than the supporters. Let’s hope the Speaker, Baroness D’Souza is a fair as John Bercow, assuming she is the current Speaker of the Lords.

4. After protests from C4M, myself and especially Glenys Thornton (Shadow Equalities Minister House of Lords) and other to the government, they have relented and moved the vote to Tuesday.

This is away better for the Bill, for democracy and for those peers who are disabled or very elderly.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 May 2013, 1:44pm

At an earlier time of day, Sasha? My stomach is churning incessantly. The bigots cannot be allowed to win. I’m sure the crowds outside Parliament will be far larger than that pathetic display on May 20th and 21st. Probably larger for the opposition than for us as happened in France.

5. GulliverUK 30 May 2013, 1:44pm

All change !

HoL debate will now conclude at 5pm Tuesday, in order to ensure it isn’t hijacked by opponents in the early hours of Monday morning.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 May 2013, 2:26pm

Thanks, Gulliver. I’m glad that’s sorted. Let’s all send good karma to the Lords that they do the right thing even if the vote is close and in our favour which I think it will be. Of course, I’d love a large majority comparable to the Commons’ vote, as long as it passes the second and third readings.

6. Good that the debate finishes at 5 on Tuesday.
    This means that if the unelected House of Lords decides to pervert democracy by voting no, there will be far larger numbers of protesters to engage in immediate direct action.

If they vote no then I hope there ia a siege. these unelected people have absolutely no mandate to be deciding our laws.

1. GulliverUK 30 May 2013, 2:05pm

Yes, If the majority vote against we should storm the House of Lords and paint every single surface very bright pink – two coats naturally. How much do you think 300 litres of good quality bright pink emulsion would cost? :D

7. Robert in S. Kensington 30 May 2013, 2:50pm

Assuming it passes in the second reading, I only hope it doesn’t get stacked with opponents in the committee stage who may try to wreck it with some ludicrous amendments similar to those pushed by their counterparts in the Commons.

8. David Myers 31 May 2013, 3:36am

Good luck Britains! I will be watching for you and your demonstration. Please make a huge turnout. Take your friends and your relatives with you!!!