Comment: Homophobia in the Democratic Unionist Party

1. Thank you, Gary. You’re right – the DUP’s views may be laughable, but the consequences are all too serious. Anti-gay prejudice and hate are common and homophobic violence is a regular part of life.

The DUP are not the only offenders, but they are the worst. The party’s use of the cross-community procedure to block marriage was a disgraceful abuse of Stormont’s process.

1. Christopher Hobe Morrison 28 May 2013, 6:31am

I like this article and would have recommended it but you have to sign into Facebook to recommend it.

2. That There Other David 27 May 2013, 3:34pm

Here in England we’re quite aware of the DUP and its abhorrent position on any number of subjects. What do you expect of a political party made up of people who think everyone is going to Hell?

What amazes me is how many in the Province actually vote for them, especially when the mask slips so often and exposes the individuals themselves as corrupt to the core. That’s mostly down to the Them and Us mentality that still rules the six counties though. Orange Lil is alive and well. Making sure your side beats the other side is a great motivator on election day.

(I’m English, but my partner is from the wilds of County Antrim)

1. i think many people from predominately the unionist community vote for them, because the DUP have capitalised on the fears of the people theyre suppose to lead, ie. a Sinn Fein Majority in assembly would not mean the people have decided on a more robust party that will deliver for the province. but would mean an open derecognition of protestant dominance (a loss of power). looking back at the leaflets they distributed before the union flag council vote gives you an idea of what they stand for not peace but sectarianism, a shared future has a different meaning to the DUP.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 27 May 2013, 4:48pm

You could hear the hatred from several DUP members in Westminster during the third reading of the marriage bill, including Paisley, Jr. I have a problem with DUP members sitting in Westminster representing a devolved government in N. Ireland and getting a vote against equal marriage in England and Wales.

i hope one day that catholics vastly outnumber protestants in that part of the UK and push for reunification with the repulblic where equal marriage will soon be a reality there too. I hope some of us will be alive if it ever happens so that we can gloat as the bigots of the DUP squirm and and are dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

1. That There Other David 27 May 2013, 5:14pm

Personally I think if Scotland should vote for independence it should be crunch time Northern Ireland within the UK. The sectarian divide is caused and maintained by those of Irish and Scottish ancestry fighting long past battles. If both groups have then founded their own independent states outside of the UK why should dealing with that conflict remain England and Wales’s problem? We’re better off out of it IMO.

1. Maybe we should only allow Scotland to leave the UK on the condition that they take Northern Ireland with them.

1. maybe (and thankfully) it is NOT up to you or the english parliament (sic.) to decide whether scotland remains part of united kingdom, but for the voters of scotland themselves in the referendum. like northern ireland, scottish people didn’t ask for this union in the first place… and please don’t ever wonder why there is a perception of english arrogance over the matter.

2. What you all fail to realise is that Protestants here will never accept reunification. What it will effectively mean is civil war which will spread. You just have to look at the recent Flags issue which has spread to England and Scotland. Some people have even posted pictures to Facebook of protests in America and Australia. Please do not buy into the myth that a United Ireland will be this rosey happy place where everyone will skip along together.

1. I agree. I am surprised more people here would have supported
        Enoch Powell’s position on NI. He wanted to fully integrate NI within the United Kingdom thereby closing-down Stormont which they have had since the island of Ireland was divided in 1922. It Enoch’s policy had come to fruition, then NI would also have legal gay marriage.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 27 May 2013, 4:48pm

i hope one day that catholics vastly outnumber protestants in that part of the UK and push for reunification with the republic where equal marriage will soon be a reality there too. I hope some of us will be alive if it ever happens so that we can gloat as the bigots of the DUP squirm and and are dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

5. GulliverUK 27 May 2013, 5:18pm

I ignore the DUP, they are 8 complete idiots in Parliament with no power whatsoever. I realise that in Northern Ireland some people might give them credibility – I don’t.

The simple message is, leave. Go away from there, you’ve got the whole of the UK to choose from. I come from a small rural town on the coast, it was never going to be open-minded tolerant and welcoming, so I made my way to London — once I realised I was gay that was my destiny. Now, there are plenty of welcoming, mostly urban, cities, such as Manchester, to go to. But leave you must, for your own freedom and well-being. Go where people will respect and welcome you, don’t stay where people are openly hostile to you. I wish that wasn’t my advice, but it is.

1. That’s fine if you have the means to leave for somewhere better, and you have worked out who you are in time before you are deeply entrenched in the homophobic community where you originated and can no longer leave, or otherwise you’re still a young teenager wrestling with your feelings and identity and obviously not able to leave for somewhere better. You and I are among the lucky minority who could and did do that, but it’s not a simple message for most.

6. Brett Gibson 27 May 2013, 5:37pm

I for one, find it absolutely DISGUSTING that 8 members of this party voted against equal marriage in England and Wales. Sorry, but the last time I checked, England and Wales had nothing to do with Northern Ireland. English devolution really needs to happen, and FAST!

1. That There Other David 27 May 2013, 8:47pm

Yes, but remember that a large group of Scottish Labour and Lib Dem MPs also took part in the vote, mostly on the positive side. The only party that consistently sticks to not voting on English and Welsh matters in Westminster is the SNP.

Good old Tony Blair and his unfinished attempts at reforms eh?

2. so much for the united kingdom then! FYI, wales has nothing to do with england either. further, no such ‘english’ devolution is being proposed (an admirer of simon hughes i presume!).

let me have a similar knee-jerk reaction here: if only london could be separated form the rest of the country (and FAST!) we’d all be doing better. facile isn’t it? are the EDL peddling their wears here or what?

7. The DUP on many aspects of politics in NI are content with bringing the region back in time, they are completely anti-progress! and unfortunately there doesnt seem to be much difference with the other unionist party the UUP and need I mention Jim Allister! the DUP show no leadership and in doing so, they are delivering what the party members want, not what Northern Ireland wants, an ignorant disenfranchised loyalist population. leaving the region more polarised and more fractured.

8. Christopher Hobe Morrison 28 May 2013, 6:29am

I would have recommended this article, but I don’t do Facebook.

9. Christopher Hobe Morrison 28 May 2013, 6:35am

I guess if I mention F—book my letter gets deleted. This is a good article, though.

1. Christopher Hobe Morrison 28 May 2013, 6:37am

Or maybe not! I am really happy that other people paid attention to what the DUP said in Parliament.

10. The DUP have someone called David Simpson who isn’t even capable of reciting a cliched slogan correctly.

11. I am a firm supporter of the union; but if I had the misfortune to live in NI I would vote for SF, secure in the knowledge that they have no power to influence serious constitutional issues and also in the knowledge that even in NI the two grubby superstitions of protestant and catholic have had their day.