Video: Book published to teach children to pray to Jesus for gay people to turn straight

1. Prayer – Part ego masturbation, part the adult version of asking Santa for a pony.

A billion hands clasped in prayer never achieved a single bloody thing. They may do what they want, it doesn’t matter worth a damn.

2. Love the way they have a lovely gay rainbow on the cover!

Perhaps they didn’t even realise, oh well!

1. well, what do you expect. their patron animal (sheep) is also one of the gayest animals in existence http://humoncomics.com/sheep

3. The reviews on this book are brilliant & well worth a read, not like the book itself which is a bigoted pile of trash.

1. Ha ha, the five star firewood one is hilarious!

1. I loved that too, classic.

2. Even on the US Amazon site all 44 reviews were negative.

3. As a gay, single parent I find the whole Christian fundamentalist view of what is a “family” disturbing on many levels.

I have read the comments on Amazon and feel kind of mixed with regard to them. Although all are negative, which is good, I distinctly get the impression that many are not so much pro-equality as they are simply anti-Christian, which is not the same thing.

Although the proverb “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” may seem to apply, lets not forget the Soviet Union WWII and the Cold War. Secularists can be just as homophobic as the religious. Many of those commenting on the book said they would not read such bigoted nonsense to their children. But I wonder how many of those same people allow their older children to use homophobic language as part of their everyday speech and make fun of gays, or in fact, they do themselves, and would not even give it a second thought.

There is a vast distinction between “ally” and “friend”. We should never forget that.

4. bobbleobble 24 May 2013, 12:18pm

Jimmy and his dads know the truth about how ‘God’ made them, that’s why they’re living in a happy family unit together.

I thought judging people was a big no no in Christianity. Isn’t this book teaching kids to judge gay families as lesser? Tut tut, Ms Parker you’re hellbound.

5. Teach your children about evolution and stop brainwashing them with pathetic out-dated lies and superstitions because you are too ignorant to broaden their minds!

6. God made Adam and Eve, Adam and Eve produced 3 sons, how did the 3 sons reproduce? oh yes, Incest. Need I say more.

1. Don’t forget one brother killed the other, so much for being raised properly by a loving, stable pair of heterosexuals.

7. Jesus had two daddies.

1. Midnighter 24 May 2013, 1:21pm

And apparently was the child of supernatural rape. Or have I misunderstood something?

2. Robert in S. Kensington 24 May 2013, 1:35pm

One was a cuckold! :)

8. I love the way Yanks want to be ruled by some book that has been round for thousands of years, everything progresses otherwise we would still be trying to invent the wheel rather thatn playing with iPhones! Get a grip people.

1. I wish was just Americans. Plenty of that going on over here in Blighty and the rest of Europe.

9. More BS from the religious nutjobs….with any luck any child reading it will grow up to realise just exactly what it is….CRAP!

10. This is book is a prime example of fundamentalist religious indoctrination, and downright child abuse. When the anti-gay bigots start using children as pawns in their pernicious agenda, it makes me very, very mad. I cannot believe this is actually real. Dear author, you are a grade A bitch.

11. Weren’t these the same bunch of people who a few years ago said that different races shouldn’t intermarry, children should not be born out of wedlock and divorce is wrong? I find it interesting how they’ve changed their attitude, since ‘Dad’ is quite clearly not Michael’s biological father… Hmmm…

1. Midnighter 24 May 2013, 1:40pm

I take your general point, but on a point of accuracy, mixed race couples can often give birth to very black or very white children; it is a common misconception that all such offspring have medium brown skin etc. In my experience they tend to be spread accross the spectrum of inheriting features from either parent.

I apologise if I’m harping on about a side issue but it is important to me because we’ve had the odd occasion to deal with counselling very caucasian featured kids born into a largely black extended family or vice versa you can imagine some of the often low-level but long-term issues that can sometimes have.

1. Thanks Midnighter, point taken – I guess I was a little naïve in what I said but the narrow-mindedness of these people really does upset me.

12. and i advise the author to take a running job

13. So Michael is praying for Jesus to show Jimmy that his parents’ relationship is evil and that he should stop treating at least one of them as his parent?

Let’s be perfectly clear. This book is encouraging children to pray for their friends to end up in broken homes with broken relationships, rather than stay in a stable home with two loving same-sex parents.

This sort of delusional, black-is-white, oxymoronic shout-logic (I’m right because I’m shouting louder) is, unfortunately, only going to become more extreme the more victories we celebrate.

Fortunately, it’s going to find an ever-decreasing audience of flat-earthers willing to entertain this foolishness.

Speaking as an atheist, my impression is that an increasing number of US Christians have had enough of hate being painted as a Christian value. Books like this will only drive more Christians to support equality.

14. Interracial couple on the front…. Obviously the author doesn’t know her own religion’s historical bigotry on such a matter. Ironic really.

15. Jen Marcus 24 May 2013, 1:03pm

I cannot believe that people are getting away with this insanity!

16. Robert in S. Kensington 24 May 2013, 1:38pm

What can one expect from the hate group, American Family Association?

I wonder how they regard hetero widows and widowers with children, one parent families who never remarry? What would be their explanation to children reading this book?

17. And here I was thinking God had created everyone and everything, not just dad and mum. I guess Jimmy’s dads were distilled by some cloning technique in the devil’s lab.

18. Damn, Amber hates the gays but sure loves that BBC. You got it on the mind sweetheart.

19. It’s propaganda for kids.

A new low for the AFA who usually claim they are “protecting” children from us.

20. Sixty to seventy years ago the fact that she presents a mixed race couple would have probably gotten her arrested.
    That author has no idea what God’s intent is when she uses his name to advance a hateful spirit. Shame on her.

21. Pink News might want to increase their news quality by citing the title of the book correctly. It’s God Made Dad and Mom. Not, God Made Mom and Dad.

22. I have complained to amazon for selling this item, i suggest everyone who can does. It’s fairly easy to do on their website

23. Guglielmo Marinaro 24 May 2013, 3:17pm

I see that the brief summary of the book on the Bridge Logos website includes: “After school, his father takes him to the zoo, where he learns that animal families consist of a male, a female, and their offspring.” How nice. What he probably doesn’t learn is that sexual monogamy among animals is very rare indeed, and that an average male animal shags all the females that he can get access to, often not excluding his own female offspring.

24. I have just chatted live with Amazon and asked them to remove this book.

25. Jason Shade 24 May 2013, 6:31pm

O gah teaching a new generation of people to go against gay people ..

#Out an Proud since 1984

26. White squirrel 24 May 2013, 7:02pm

what is notabel is that the author reverses the traditional phrase ‘mom and dad ‘
    to put the male first

27. White squirrel 24 May 2013, 7:24pm

also notable is that in the classroom picture the globe of the earth is centred on mecca or perhaps israel
    and the that earth appears to be flying the american flag
    probably sums up the americocentric world view of the author/artist

1. white squirrel 24 May 2013, 7:35pm

3 more points about the classroom scene

texts present a very sexist imaging of males ‘big and strong’

and a women is teaching males

agianst the express instructions in the bible from ‘st’ [sic] Paul about ‘women not being permitted to teach males’

creationsit/bible reference in a science /biology class? -surely illegal even in USA

1. SilenceIsGolden 29 May 2013, 12:10am

Illegal? You wish. Don’t you know that “Creationism” is now taught in several places equal to that other theory “Evolution?” Yeah. I’m not kidding.

28. Dear Spaghetti Monster -the one who boiled for our sins-

I pray to you to show these Christian bigots the error of their hateful ways, with your all powerful noodly appendages.

Sincerely yours

Mike

29. Michael, you should start praying for your lying sneaky closeted cheating father then. On my personal experience as a bisexual transexual young woman discovering her sexuality I can tell you it’s always the men who show themselves to society as normal heterosexual happily married fathers of traditional families who most search for us gay males and transgenders. I can even imagine the rest of the excerpt:

Michael prays: “Dear Jesus, please show Jimmy and his dads the truth about how you made them and how much you love them.”
    Dad: *mumbling nervously* Err, yes, the truth, of course.

30. Her next book is entitled “God made a bigot like me”