Question Time: Ian Paisley Jr defends saying he was ‘repulsed’ by gays and lesbians

1. I completly agree with him; i find the idea of gay sex with ian paisley jr replusive as well!

2. That There Other David 24 May 2013, 1:19am

That’s OK, I find him odious. And seeing as it’s OK by him that everyone gets to say exactly what they think without being criticised I’ll say it again.

Ian Paisley Jr. is odious.

1. Like father like son

Nothing new there then!

1. casparthegood 25 May 2013, 8:52am

Daddy wasn’t known as ” Dr No” for nothing you know

3. Christopher Hobe Morrison 24 May 2013, 2:00am

The only thing DUPes hate more than Catholics is gays, Muslims, and foreigners. They have an all-embracing non-discriminatory bigotry. This came out during the debates.

4. He’s as vile as his bigoted father!

5. Oh, the old, hate the sin not the sinner argument.
    I find him repulsive and think that he harms society as a whole by what he does. So the feeling is completely mutual.

6. lest we forget – the ‘Save Ulster from Sodomy’ campaign from the 1980’s given sonorous import by his old pa raging against human rights legislation…

7. JackAlison 24 May 2013, 3:17am

tHE HATE JUST KEEPs IT ALL IN THE MEDIA CYCLE.
    These bigots dont know how valuable they are to keep the marriage equality flame alight. If they knew that they would simply shut up an not talk about it.
    thankyou thank you thank you…lol

1. Midnighter 24 May 2013, 9:46am

Quite – and when they are as bad as this they hopefully make a few fence-sitters choose to put themselves on the opposite side to such frothing stupidity.

Of course they’ll never see your point JackAlison since by definition they are incompetent thinkers for whom facts are anathema.

8. Christopher in Canada 24 May 2013, 3:41am

I can’t see myself ever getting in line for his affections, either, so I guess we’re even.

Gotta feel sorry for the poor woman who is saddled with him in this life, eh? How often does she fake it?

1. I’m guessing as often as every other heterosexual woman. No doubt she is on her knees everyday thanking the Lord for the vibrator in her drawer.

9. “A man in the audience who described himself as a “swivelled eyed loon”, said that same-sex marriage was the same as redefining a cat as a dog.”…..It’s come to the point where none of us need bother trying to argue against SSM opponents – they do such a good job of it themselves it would be a shame to interfere…..

1. I laughed so hard when that gay made the comment about cats & dogs, just shows on national TV the idiocy of those against SSM

1. Whoops, typo! Should have been ‘guy’ and not ‘gay’

Still the comment remains the same

10. “I’ll be accused of being homophobic, almost as bad as being a racist.” So, it is very bad to hate people of a different skin colour but only so-so to hate people of a different sexual orientation. Where does the rest of humanity fit in this hierarchy of hate?

Marriage is for creating children? So that’s how it works – if a woman doesn’t wear a wedding ring, she cannot get pregnant.

1. …And once the ovaries dry up and the kids leave home, straight couples everywhere file for divorce as their marriage no longer has any purpose.

He went on to say “…Christians are scared off expressing this sort of view”
      Not from where we’re standing.
      The Daily Mail comments page, Youtube comments, The Telegraph comments page, every fundamentalist pulpit in the world, Fox News, the BBC Six o’Clock news on occasion – I could go on…
      Homophobes everywhere get to express their homophobia, though they sometimes prefix it with disclaimers such as “I’m not homophobic, but…”, “I have gay friends” [by which they usually mean aquaintances] or “I can’t be homophobic because ‘phobia’ implies fear and I don’t literally stand on a stool screaming with my petticoats hitched up whenever a gay walks in the room”. Sometimes they use “Hate the sin, Love the sinner”.

Can’t say these disclaimers ever come across as convincing but it’s a handy way of spotting a homophobe at a hundred paces

1. Christians scared off from expressing that sort of view? Oh, if only!

2. Robert in S. Kensington 24 May 2013, 12:37pm

A lot of their so called ‘gay friends’ I suspect are imaginary. What I’d like to know is, if they know many gays who oppose equal marriage, why didn’t said gays form their own group in solidarity with the bigots so we would know exactly who they are, who their leader is? Why were they so afraid to show their faces publicly? Non-existent perhaps? An illusion created by the delusional loons in opposition I would assume. Throughout this entire debate over the past year, nobody has ever raised the point in public or in Parliament, although I have in many emails I sent to opposing MPs who dismissed the question.

11. I don’t give a toss about what Paisley finds repulsive, personal taste should be irrelevant when it comes to deciding what’s restricted by law.

I find the thought of most people I see around me having sex pretty repulsive too, it doesn’t mean I think they should be prevented from marrying on that basis.

12. It is just illogical to say that because something is repulsive to you it must also be wrong (for everyone).

I’m sure many tolerant straight people find the thought of gay sex quite ‘icky’ etc. But they still dont want to ban it all and they understand that other people are made differently.

Paisley is showing the classic egotism of the tyrant.

13. I find his face repulsive, I guess that should be banned too?

14. I am repulsed by your stupidity and disgusting appearance, fűcktard.

15. The arrogance of the man was unbelievable. I could not believe some of the crap he was coming out with and it would appear that most of the audience couldn’t either. I liked the way the young audience member questioned Paisley about what he find so unattractive and why he feels so threatened by SSM, funnily enough, Paisley did not provide a decent response.

I also have to applaud Maajid Nawaz who I though put Paisley in his place. His support of SSM was brilliant!

1. Justusboyz 24 May 2013, 9:01am

Agree!

16. “He added: “That doesn’t mean to say that I hate them. I mean, I hate what they do.”

In other words he claims to hate what in his feverishly over-active imagination he thinks gays and lesbians do.

As he never has to witness or be part of what gays or lesbians do he should stop obsessing over these things and concentrate on his own activities.

17. justusboyz 24 May 2013, 9:06am

Makes you wonder why these so called christians always think about gay sex. They probably know more about it than I do lol. But seriously you cant have a rational debate with these people as they have been brainwashed #straightconversiontherapy

18. kelvin Beer-Jones 24 May 2013, 9:30am

Did you watch the Northern Ireland mob in the house for the second reading? They were social and political pariahs holed up in a dark corner of the chamber. Time to either fully integrate Northern Ireland into the UK or gift it (preferred) to Ireland.

1. The republic don’t want it and most people in Northern Ireland want to stay part of the UK according to surveys.

1. That There Other David 24 May 2013, 2:19pm

Doesn’t the rest of the UK get a say in that? Personally if Scotland goes independent I’m all for Ulster going with them. Ulstermen are much closer to the Scots than to the Welsh or English, in just about every way you can think of. I can’t see the point of holding on to NI if the UK is effectively broken up anyway.

19. Another self-loathing closet case if you ask me. Both he and his father have had LOVELY lives by being professional bigots. I note how swift he was to condemn the Woolwich religiously-inspired murders but then immediately used religion to defend his homophobia. A little hypocritical …don’t you think? Vile individual – a dinosaur – stuck in the 1600’s.

1. He is vile but weak…thats how he has got so far in life. But you know what? its a cliche ….. TRUTH and GOODNESS usually win out in the end.
      Imagine on your death bed you had spent all your life trading in the misery and subjegation of other people? what a horrible legacy to look back upon….but the’ penny won’t drop’ Like many of his bigoted friends he lacks spine and backbone and he will play any populist card he can to be re-elected….thats how bullies, dictators and meglomaniacs work.

20. The product of a vile bigoted father hedidsound pretty threatened By one questioner.

He who shouts the loudest has the most to hide !!

21. At the core of this idiot’s politics is hypocrisy and loss. So much of his life revolves around insisting that Northern Ireland remains a part of a Britain that doesn’t exist anymore. We’ve moved on. Gay, straight, black, white, catholic, protestant – we’ve moved on. I think people supporting the DUP should have a serious think about their core values and ask themselves whether or not they really do want to be part of a country that is clearly out of step with the way they think.

22. He certainly is “yesterday’s news”. Him, his father and his cohorts are bigoted, hate-filled Neanderthals. I think it’s impossible to separate gay people from gay actions. It is who we are. So I’m sorry Mr. Paisley Junior but you DO hate gay people.

(PS, this is yet another PN article that needs a thorough proof-read. There are spelling and punctuation mistakes aplenty.)

23. why does this vile example of a human being spend anytime at all thinking about what we do – none of my Straight friends do – most men i know are too busy thinking about women and what they want to do to them –

self loathing closet

24. Robert (Kettering) 24 May 2013, 12:25pm

I find it really hard to understand how anyone would vote for the DUP seeing they have such archaic views about almost everything?

I was though very impressed by the audience member who challenged him as to why were they wanting to stay as part of the UK YET would not accept the laws taken for granted by the vast majority in England, Scotland and Wales i.e. on abortion and Gay rights?

I think that was one of the most telling questions asked last night.

Time to cut Northern Ireland off from the UK family of civilised nations and tell them to go it alone.

25. We’re repulsed at the very sight of you as we’ll hiw very sad to wake up everyday with such negative views

26. “I’ll be accused of being homophobic, almost as bad as being a racist, and everything else that’s nasty in the world.” He added that “Christians are scared off about expressing this sort of view.”

Really? In the last couple of months in the run-up to the Equal Marriage Bill they haven’t flaming well shut up ‘expressing this sort of view’ to the extent that the rest of us are suffering from some serious earache by now!

27. Robert in S. Kensington 24 May 2013, 1:32pm

What galls me is that NI has a devolved government responsible for it’s own decision, yet vile bigots like him are allowed a voice and a vote in Westminster? Do any of ours sit in their Assembly at voting time? NO!

I have a message for Paisley. One of these days when catholics outnumber protestants in your backward corner of the UK, then reunification will happen, equal marriage will be the law and your party will be blown out of the water and none too soon.

They can all freely take the path of Monsieur Venner in Notre Dame cathedral and do us all a huge favour.

28. Maajid Nawaz and Peter Tatchell spoke brilliantly on QT last night, as did two young members, one female and one male, of the Belfast audience who persistently refused to let Bigot Paisley get away with his homophobia.

Tatchell was excellent and the camera showed that he had the “big man” Paisley sitting right beside him squirming in his seat.

Tatchell was also sufficiently assertive to get in an excellent and strong last word as the segment on same-sex marriage came to an end.

1. David Josef 24 May 2013, 2:58pm

I echo this, well said Eddy.

29. GingerlyColors 24 May 2013, 2:46pm

A chip off the old block. Another mouth on legs.

30. I bet I find you even more repulsive than you find me mate!

Asked why he didn’t support same-sex marriage, Mr Paisely said: “I believe that marriage is fundamentally about creating children, and who in turn to create society”

And yet nobody says to straight couples they can’t marry if they don’t have children!

31. What a bigot, two adults who love each other should be able to marry. I love my sister, she’s 27 I’m 32 we’re both GROWN ADULTS FFS, why should the state decide if 2 adults can marry!

32. I might find the idea of sex with very fat or very thin people “repulsive” but I hope that basic decency would prevent me from saying so and I certainly wouldn’t want to ban fat/thin people from marrying?

His comments are really a question of a lack of basic good manners.

33. It’s easy to see why Northern Ireland has been such a mess. The DUP, Orange Order and other loyalist groups are corrupt, hypocritical and ignorant. They are still pulling the strings.

34. Is this the same Ian Paisley Jn whose wife Broke The Law by a] Committing Adultery and b] having sex with a boy below the Age of Consent? [Seventeen in Ulster btw]

1. no it isnt, nor is committing adultery breaking the law nor is the age of consent 17 in Northern ireland.

35. I don’t think it will be long until the DUP gets into bed with UKIP. I don’t understand them they claim to want to be British but don’t adopt the current liberal British identity. Being a Brit wh has emigrated to the republic I wonder if they would fit into here either, the rest of Ireland is LGBT friendly with 70% in favour of marriage

36. ian paisley 3 Sep 2013, 9:48pm

Ianaan parsley is a big gay!